DREW JOHNSTON NAMED AD/HFC AT NEWTON!

His (defensive coordinator) son has been the backbone of the team for several years. His defense has been what has carried the Eagles to back to  back state championships. Hate to see Neece leave, he was an important piece of the puzzle (offensive coordinator) .

Surprised that Neece took the Anahuac job. He told me a few months ago that he did not want a head coaching job. He knew that the Newton Job was probably his if he wanted it. Seems odd that he took a head/AD job at a school which has a losing tradition when he probably could have had the Newton job. Coach  Neece is an outstanding person and a really good coach. If the kids will buy into his program, Anahuac will be a better team.

Good luck Coach Neece.

2 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

Surprised that Neece took the Anahuac job. He told me a few months ago that he did not want a head coaching job. He knew that the Newton Job was probably his if he wanted it. Seems odd that he took a head/AD job at a school which has a losing tradition when he probably could have had the Newton job. Coach  Neece is an outstanding person and a really good coach. If the kids will buy into his program, Anahuac will be a better team.

Good luck Coach Neece.

Told me the same thing when he came over....But Money talks lol

2 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

Good luck Coach Neece.

I think Neece made the right choice.  Newton is a no-win situation for coach now.   When the next coach comes in and wins, they'll say that's the way it always has been and maybe no credit to the new coach.  If the new coach starts to lose then it's his fault because Newton always wins.  At Anahuac, since they've been down and he wins, then it's all on him.  To me, it's a better situation for him.

3 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

Don't agree with Newton being a no win situation. There is a chip off the old block still at Newton.

It's a no-win situation for the new coach either way.  I'm not talking about the team not being able to win.  Go back and re-read what I stated.

I did not miss read your comment Reagan. Newton people would have backed him (Neece) regardless of his record. If Drew gets the job, Newton people will back him regardless of his record. Newton will be down next year but will still be a good football team, but watch out in two years, we have a good crop of kids coming up.

Several that are close to the Eagles are hoping that his son gets the position. I think only two coaches are leaving with Neece ( a line coach and another young coach) The  major lose being Neece. That means we would have to replace out offensive coordinator.

It has been an honor and privilege to have to have been associated with W.T.. He has made a better person of all of us who were around him.

• 2 weeks later...

Newton job has been posted. I think it has to be posted 10 days. W.T's. retirement farewell was today. Rings were presented. A lot of hugs and tears. This Christian man has not given up yet on a miracle recovery, neither have I given up. Keep your prayers coming.