March Madness

PhatMack19

36 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Where the hell is Wofford?

5th tournament appearance this decade.  Small South Carolina school that is always pretty solid on the court.  

Man thaf New Mexico State game today is going to haunt those poor kids for years to come.  Had sp many chances to win in the last 10 seconds...

26 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

5th tournament appearance this decade.  Small South Carolina school that is always pretty solid on the court.  

Man thaf New Mexico State game today is going to haunt those poor kids for years to come.  Had sp many chances to win in the last 10 seconds...

I usually take off the first 2 days and watch basketball all day.  Headed out on a Walmart cruise Sunday, so I’m trying to make up for it this week.  I haven’t watched any of it until tonight 

On 3/28/2019 at 6:28 AM, bullets13 said:

I’m trying to get excited about it.  The NIT field is solid, and winning it would be a really nice accomplishment, a bigger deal than winning one game in the big dance.  That being said, it ain’t the big dance.  

We had this discussion the other day.  Is winning the NIT better than one and done in the big dance?   I think so but still tough to get excited about.  Especially with a Longhorn grad coaching another in state school in its first Final Four.   Especially a team that realistically only has 3 kids who would see significant minutes on the team playing in MSG.  

10 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Probably enough to save Shaka’s job, too.  The horns looked better in this tournament than any 5-game stretch I can remember them playing under him.  

The buyout was enough to save Shaka's job. Unless they make a decent run in the adult league tournament next year, he's probably gone. 

Probably costing them their shot at Beard.

There was a particular job that was expected to be open that was to be offered to Shaka.  It is my understanding numbers were already worked out and it was all but done.  At the last minute, that university decided to give its coach at least another year, and that’s when you saw Texas pivot and publicly announce the job would remain Shaka.  Short of Dixon and Cronin passing on the UCLA job (which I doubt) and that being offered to Shaka, he will be back.  As for Beard. I don’t think we would have landed him anyway.  He already makes a little more than Shaka and Texas can’t offer him enough to make him leave what is likely a lifetime gig for him if he wants it.  He leaves Lubbock eventually but it’s going to take $6-8m a year to get him.  And that kind of money only comes from the blue bloods, not “football schools.”

28 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

There was a particular job that was expected to be open that was to be offered to Shaka.  It is my understanding numbers were already worked out and it was all but done.  At the last minute, that university decided to give its coach at least another year, and that’s when you saw Texas pivot and publicly announce the job would remain Shaka.  Short of Dixon and Cronin passing on the UCLA job (which I doubt) and that being offered to Shaka, he will be back.  As for Beard. I don’t think we would have landed him anyway.  He already makes a little more than Shaka and Texas can’t offer him enough to make him leave what is likely a lifetime gig for him if he wants it.  He leaves Lubbock eventually but it’s going to take $6-8m a year to get him.  And that kind of money only comes from the blue bloods, not “football schools.”

It would be awesome if Shaka could get back to the Havoc and the type of energy that got him this job. Just not so sure he can get these high profile players to buy in to that type of program.