OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTING

tvc184

On 3/13/2019 at 4:45 AM, Hagar said:

A point to remember, if the officer doesn’t shoot, and backs away, what if the man turns, running toward the lady and hacks her to death?  Can you imagine the finger pointing at the officer?  IMO, he showed a hugh amount of constraint.  I’m curious about the dead man’s toxicology report.  

Like the video, I will be glad when the final autopsy including toxicology is finished and made public. 

On 3/8/2019 at 11:56 PM, tvc184 said:

Because no one from a civilian taking a self-defense class to the police or to the military is trained or convinced that you try to stop from being killed by using other methods than deadly force. 

After reading hundreds of comments on various forums I have a lot of “what iffers”. 

What if he really wasn’t going to use the machete? What is the officer was the best shot in the world and could somehow hit a 3 inch wide moving target (kneecap) while under stress?  What if the officer would have just turned his back and run? What if the officer would have just ignored the situation even if it would’ve cost a civilian his life? 

There is one person that caused this situation. That person is deceased. We will never know what was in his mind and why he did what he did. He made the decision however. It seems like a few people in the public have completely ignored that a man iwas a definite threat to the officer and the public, walked directly at an officer without flinching and without making any attempt  to comply or to communicate. 

I have the suspicion that about 98% of the people who are criticizing the officer, if faced with exactly the same situation and with a firearm to defend themselves, would not acted like the officer did. They would not have waited as long as the officer did to keep from having to shoot and would have started firing much sooner. 

There are probably more Monday morning Chairborne Rangers in this incident  then there are Saturday morning quarterbacks after a high school football game. 

And the other 2% would probably be dead.  

On 3/8/2019 at 11:39 PM, WOSdrummer99 said:

Agree that he should have followed the directions. But was the officer's life really in danger? Or could he have attempted to descalate the situation? He may have been cleared by the department, but still not right in taking a life.

Have you even seen the video?  What actions could the officer have taken to “de-escalate” the situation? The guy changed course and walked straight at him with an effin machete.  He ignored about 8 verbal commands to drop it.  In all honesty, the officer let him get WAY too close trying to give him a chance to stop.  This officer was completely right to take this man’s life.  And you asking if the officer’s life was really in danger might be one of the most asinine things I’ve ever read on this site, which is truly saying something considering how active I used to be in the political forum.  

5 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Have you even seen the video?  What actions could the officer have taken to “de-escalate” the situation? The guy changed course and walked straight at him with an effin machete.  He ignored about 8 verbal commands to drop it.  In all honesty, the officer let him get WAY too close trying to give him a chance to stop.  This officer was completely right to take this man’s life.  And you asking if the officer’s life was really in danger might be one of the most asinine things I’ve ever read on this site, which is truly saying something considering how active I used to be in the political forum.  

Yes I have seen the video, the one without the gunshots. He did seem to be walking with a purpose. But not wielding the machete or even holding it firmly. I'm sure the officer did exactly what he was trained to do and I'm not saying he is at fault. He left the safety or his vehicle and put himself in the line of fire to protect the public. Just think there could have been more defensive measures to preserve life. I think a bean bag to the chest from a shotgun could have been a better solution.

11 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Yes I have seen the video, the one without the gunshots. He did seem to be walking with a purpose. But not wielding the machete or even holding it firmly. I'm sure the officer did exactly what he was trained to do and I'm not saying he is at fault. He left the safety or his vehicle and put himself in the line of fire to protect the public. Just think there could have been more defensive measures to preserve life. I think a bean bag to the chest from a shotgun could have been a better solution.

But since no local police department that I have ever heard of furnishes their officers with bean bag.....

In reality it doesn’t matter anyway. A lone officer does use likely non lethal force to stop a lethal threat. 

12 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

The guy was almost assuredly on pcp.  It took at least 5 REAL bullets before he even started to stagger.  A bean bag to the chest would’ve bounced off and then he would’ve most likely killed or badly injured the officer with the machete.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

The guy was almost assuredly on pcp.  It took at least 5 REAL bullets before he even started to stagger.  A bean bag to the chest would’ve bounced off and then he would’ve most likely killed or badly injured the officer with the machete.  

STOP IT!!

Logical thinking not allowed. It kills the conversation. 

8 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Check out the video that I posted where the suspect attacked with a collapsible baton.  Cops aren't being paid to take a whuppin'.  

On 3/13/2019 at 4:45 AM, Hagar said:

A point to remember, if the officer doesn’t shoot, and backs away, what if the man turns, running toward the lady and hacks her to death?  Can you imagine the finger pointing at the officer?  IMO, he showed a hugh amount of constraint.  I’m curious about the dead man’s toxicology report.  

AAAND.... the toxicology is in (or made public). 

The guy had a potential lethal dose of PCP in him. 

10 hours ago, tvc184 said:

AAAND.... the toxicology is in (or made public). 

The guy had a potential lethal dose of PCP in him. 

If not my first guess, it should’ve been.  Evidently that drug makes you feel ten feet tall and bullet proof.  Although his death will probably be recorded as “death by gunfire”, it is clearly, to me at least, death by drugs.  Almost certainly, he’d never acted like that if not pumped up on PCP.