SILSBEE VS. YATES BROADCAST/SATURDAY AT 12:45!

13 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Down through the years, the goal in my mind was for Silsbee to win state.  A lot of talent has worn the Silsbee uniform but it was hard to take the lid off the goal.  We were over shadowed by Kountze, even though they were in smaller classification, Hardin Jefferson.  Maybe could a woulda won a trophy except for the PA Lincoln dynasty. That lasted seemed like ten years.  Then all those great inner city started dropping down to Silsbee's classification. Schools like Yates, Wheatley, D Lincoln, Carter, D Madison.  It's a bunch of them.  

Then over the last 5 seasons or so a championship was close despite all of that.  Silsbee finally won two state championships.  Might not sound like much but it is definitely better than none.  Psychologically the lid is off the basket.  At least it should be.  Some of those youngsters have been watching.  They know a state championship can be won in Silsbee.  Sooner or later it will happen again.

First of all, Congrats to Silsbee players & Coaching Staff. Today’s Basketball doesn’t impress me, but I’m impressed by how Silsbee has maintained Dominance in this Region. What you guys have accomplished over the past few years is phenomenal. Being a PA Lincoln Alum, I can attest to what these kids have experienced over the years; the highs & lows. We were #1 Team & lost in State Semis my Senior yr , Dallas Lincoln won it All. I relieve that disappointment every year around this time. What gets me through is knowing that we accomplished a lot, continued our Legacy, built lasting friendships & memories, put the State of Texas on notice, but most of All, we did it the right way by being raised in PA. Just like the kids of Silsbee. It’s not hard to form a good Team when you have Millions to choose from. I’m blown away that you guys maintained Elite Status consistently being from a Town the size of Silsbee. Hold your head High and it’s OK to cry. Let me tell you it bothers me to this day because I’m such a competitor, just as you guys are. You can always tell when you’re doing something Great, people talk about you & Hate to see you WIN. Silsbee must have had plenty of people talking & definitely had lots of Haters because All y’all did was WIN!!! Enjoy Spring Break & get back in the gym. God Bless

Man its hard to really put in words what i am feeling.  Disappointment?? Yes a little really wanted these guys to go out on top. Sad??  A little going to miss this group of seniors but look what they accomplished in 4 years: 2 state titles, a runner up , and played in 26 of 28 possible playoff games.  Along with many other accomplishments.  Angry??  Not really...we didnt play to our best and our opponent did.  Sometimes thats what happens, its just part of life...take your lumps and kee going. Happy.....proud???  Well yes i think, even though it might not fit today, that is what i feel.  I am happy to be a Tiger fan throughout the last 4 years watching these young men grow and compete as the best team on the 4A level at least for that period of time.  And happy to see the rewards of their hard work, 2 of these srs going on to Austin Peay to play basketball, another with at least a couple offers to play at the next level.  As well as a couple more going on to play college football.  Good athletes and even more so good kids.  I guess that makes me one Proud Tiger.  Devon, Jordyn, Landyn, Cam, Aaron and JaVawn,  oh how we will miss yall!!  Keep striving to do your best.  This group of Tiger fans love you and wont forget you.

53 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Man its hard to really put in words what i am feeling.  Disappointment?? Yes a little really wanted these guys to go out on top. Sad??  A little going to miss this group of seniors but look what they accomplished in 4 years: 2 state titles, a runner up , and played in 26 of 28 possible playoff games.  Along with many other accomplishments.  Angry??  Not really...we didnt play to our best and our opponent did.  Sometimes thats what happens, its just part of life...take your lumps and kee going. Happy.....proud???  Well yes i think, even though it might not fit today, that is what i feel.  I am happy to be a Tiger fan throughout the last 4 years watching these young men grow and compete as the best team on the 4A level at least for that period of time.  And happy to see the rewards of their hard work, 2 of these srs going on to Austin Peay to play basketball, another with at least a couple offers to play at the next level.  As well as a couple more going on to play college football.  Good athletes and even more so good kids.  I guess that makes me one Proud Tiger.  Devon, Jordyn, Landyn, Cam, Chris and JaVawn,  oh how we will miss yall!!  Keep striving to do your best.  This group of Tiger fans love you and wont forget you.

Well said! Chris Martin is a junior

To put it simply, Silsbee got tired. Lions wore the Tigers down. Up tempo finally got the best of Silsbee. Plus, Coach Wise did exactly what he needed to do when he got that lead in the 4th. Spread Silsbee out and force them to foul. Yates was money at the line.

Congrats Silsbee on a great run.

Yates lost 3 starters to fouls within 30 seconds . They had the deeper team and for the first time in several years the Tigers didn't look like the best team in the region. I said in an earlier post and still believe the late, close game on Friday night caused the Tigers to lose their legs in the final. Great run for them ! 

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

Yates lost 3 starters to fouls within 30 seconds . They had the deeper team and for the first time in several years the Tigers didn't look like the best team in the region. I said in an earlier post and still believe the late, close game on Friday night caused the Tigers to lose their legs in the final. Great run for them ! 

I think you may have a little in that last line.  Our starting 5 vs theirs was a decent edge to us.  The fact that we didn’t really get into our bench in either game may have created some tired legs.  I really thought we would have got a little deeper than we did in both games but thats how it goes.

i think their foul trouble may have helped a little in it gave a couple of their players some good rest especially 3.

Congrats to Silsbee on their season I know the end result isnt what you guys wanted but you accomplished impossible feats over the last 4 yrs. Coming in as freshman and leading from the jump is hard to do in any classification. You guys have nothing to hang your heads about. I felt like Yates this year was a better overall team than last year. They didn thave to rely on 2 ppl to get everything done this year it was more balanced and they were humgry & relentless. Silsbee fans & players may have taken this team too lightly because some of the comments I read were mind boggling. I dont care who you play you have to respect your opponent because you can be beat on any given day. It was obvious Silsbee got tired later in the game and thats a rare occurrence but it happens to the best. Yates did a great job at forcing the tempo and then pulling the rug & slowing it down making Silsbee defend in the half court.  If Silsbee had one glaring weakness this year i don’t they played defense like they did in the past years.  Anyways congrats to those kids and may you be blessed with much success as you move forward!!!! 

22 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Maybe we could have used Harmon and Thomas a but more but we were out played. Silsbee is the better team but Yates was better yesterday. 

Before seeing this game, I would have agreed. After seeing this game, could not disagree more. And the only day that matters is the day you meet your opponent  on the court. If you want to make an argument based on the starting units for each, you probably have a leg to stand on but that doesn't constitute a team. Yates was a better team as a whole and that's coming from a guy who said that Yates had zero chance of defeating Silsbee (Crow is very hard to digest). As an unbiased observer, the two things that stood out against Silsbee were their inability to score from the perimeter consistently and their very poor performance from the foul line. I also think that Coach Sigler got exposed in the game as well. His inability to adjust conceptually and have a plan B when you're getting beat at your own game was a big problem when the momentum began to shift. I would have preferred to see McCain in charge at that time because I think he has the best basketball mind on that bench...including the coaches. That kid has a fantastic basketball IQ. Nevertheless, what the Silsbee program accomplished over the last handful of years was very impressive and quite commendable.

Yates had the better overall team. Much as I hate to say it. Funny thing is, a lot of those Yates guys were on the team last year to go with their two superstar players and lost by 17 points. They really were more of a complete squad this year.

I hope next year Silsbee will be that way. Can't rely on one or two guys always scoring 35 points a game to win. I'd rather see 7 or 8 kids going for about 12 points a piece or something like that.

One thing that really bothered me this game was how many easy baskets/dunks Yates had. Silsbee takes a lot of chances on defense, and when it goes wrong, it leads to easy baskets.  I know 32 minutes of hell may scare lesser teams into submission before the first quarter is over, but it usually doesn't work when your opponent is as good as you are. That's one reason we almost always lose to good 6A teams. Get some kids back on defense, learn to take a charge. Clog that paint up. If the other team beats you cause they made 25 3-pointers, then so be it.

I know that may sound like blasphemy to suggest something other than press and run, but sometimes you got to mix it up and do something different.

7 hours ago, indian15/16 said:

Before seeing this game, I would have agreed. After seeing this game, could not disagree more. And the only day that matters is the day you meet your opponent  on the court. If you want to make an argument based on the starting units for each, you probably have a leg to stand on but that doesn't constitute a team. Yates was a better team as a whole and that's coming from a guy who said that Yates had zero chance of defeating Silsbee (Crow is very hard to digest). As an unbiased observer, the two things that stood out against Silsbee were their inability to score from the perimeter consistently and their very poor performance from the foul line. I also think that Coach Sigler got exposed in the game as well. His inability to adjust conceptually and have a plan B when you're getting beat at your own game was a big problem when the momentum began to shift. I would have preferred to see McCain in charge at that time because I think he has the best basketball mind on that bench...including the coaches. That kid has a fantastic basketball IQ. Nevertheless, what the Silsbee program accomplished over the last handful of years was very impressive and quite commendable.

I think Silsbee played hard just like Yates. Yates just had a little bit more gas. Game over now. On to 2019/20 season. Silsbee has some kids coming who will be very competitive and I think they could have another shot to right back in San Antonio soon. I would think they will be back at least I  the Regional Finals next year. Never know. 

Silsbee can push region next year. Got one kid with mad skills that should be on varsity next year. If he can keep improving, he can be a very good player on varsity. Also had a couple of really athletic kids on JV that were done in by grades. We'll see how they turn out.

Silsbee will have two very good freshman classes coming up the next two years

They might can push state again in 2021.

Yates was a mystery team for me this year.  They didn't play in the holiday tournaments.  So I didn't get to see them then.  Then they started district play.  Going to see them play the other 4A teams here in Houston is down right boring.  

Then I finally got to see them in Kingwood vs Hardin Jefferson.  I was impressed but I kept it to myself.  I even thought they may just take it all.  They had a deep bench like Silsbee had last year and the year before.  They can run and press just like Silsbee, but they had a thing that Silsbee does not have.  They got about five or six players that can consistently hit the three.  So they ran with HJ for 2 & 1/2 to 3 qtrs until they got them tired.  Then Yates started hitting 3s from around the circle.  Right then I felt in the back of my mind that Silsbee was in trouble.  I was hoping I was wrong.  But it turned out I wasn't.  

A team that can run and put five players on the 3 pt line that can shoot that is a serious combination.  Hopefully somebody in the 77656 is going to the gym soon and working on that.  

No criticism though.  I love what I saw over the last four or five seasons from Silsbee.  I thought I'd never see them win state.  I got to see them do it twice.  The 3peat should be already on the books.  Still a two piece with some red beans & rice and a biscuit ain't too bad at all.  

32 minutes ago, Who That said:

Im wateing to see what kind of schedule coach Sig has planned for next year. Want have a true starter on the team till after football. Silsbee should have what ever starting 5 on the court till then ready to go if the schedule is like it has been the last few years...

Are you forgetting Bush, he will be there before football...

36 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Yates was a mystery team for me this year.  They didn't play in the holiday tournaments.  So I didn't get to see them then.  Then they started district play.  Going to see them play the other 4A teams here in Houston is down right boring.  

Then I finally got to see them in Kingwood vs Hardin Jefferson.  I was impressed but I kept it to myself.  I even thought they may just take it all.  They had a deep bench like Silsbee had last year and the year before.  They can run and press just like Silsbee, but they had a thing that Silsbee does not have.  They got about five or six players that can consistently hit the three.  So they ran with HJ for 2 & 1/2 to 3 qtrs until they got them tired.  Then Yates started hitting 3s from around the circle.  Right then I felt in the back of my mind that Silsbee was in trouble.  I was hoping I was wrong.  But it turned out I wasn't.  

A team that can run and put five players on the 3 pt line that can shoot that is a serious combination.  Hopefully somebody in the 77656 is going to the gym soon and working on that.  

No criticism though.  I love what I saw over the last four or five seasons from Silsbee.  I thought I'd never see them win state.  I got to see them do it twice.  The 3peat should be already on the books.  Still a two piece with some red beans & rice and a biscuit ain't too bad at all.  

Only thing I see wrong with this is that last years team wasn’t really deep either.  We only played 7 maybe 8 in those big playoff games.  This year was supposed to be a little deeper, but it didn’t materialize in Huntsville.  I felt like we would have gone at least 8 or 9 deep and possibly 1 or 2 more.  

On 3/2/2019 at 5:23 PM, whsalum said:
On 3/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

To put it simply, Silsbee got tired. Lions wore the Tigers down. Up tempo finally got the best of Silsbee. Plus, Coach Wise did exactly what he needed to do when he got that lead in the 4th. Spread Silsbee out and force them to foul. Yates was money at the line.

Congrats Silsbee on a great run.

After reading all of the comments about Silsbee’s Defense and how Yates would be over matched was like WOW. People was saying that the Wax Life Game was good for Silsbee and they would be ready for Yates. The majority of people on this site either under estimated Yates, or over estimated Silsbee. Silsbee interior defense was pathetic, #3 Norman almost had 18 points in the first half and he was in foul trouble. The Yates Coach didn’t press for 32 minutes and Silsbee was either scared or didn’t have the players to press Yates. Those guards were to quick for Silsbee, and it showed by the number of easy layups. 

This was a Upset