bigdog

Nederland Bond

438 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, mat said:

I think that's illegal.

That is why I asked if it happening, because it is indeed illegal.  Nederland ISD personnel in their official capacities, are not allowed to advocate pro or con regarding the bond issue.  Now, teachers in their off time, can engage in debate.  But a school district paying for the printing signs such as placards, yard signs, etc. to be distributed does cross that legal line.

49 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

That is why I asked if it happening, because it is indeed illegal.  Nederland ISD personnel in their official capacities, are not allowed to advocate pro or con regarding the bond issue.  Now, teachers in their off time, can engage in debate.  But a school district paying for the printing signs such as placards, yard signs, etc. to be distributed does cross that legal line.

I believe what he is referring to is the signs put at each school and football stadium that details what is proposed at each location.  These signs do not advocate for or against the bond and are informational only.

8 minutes ago, KABrother said:

I believe what he is referring to is the signs put at each school and football stadium that details what is proposed at each location.  These signs do not advocate for or against the bond and are informational only.

That is okay.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:07 AM, Reagan said:

The pro-bond folks must be in full panic mode.  I have heard that they have been stealing anti-bond signs.  Now I know for a fact they are.  A couple i have seen around the city are "no longer" there.   I think the "disappeared" yesterday.  The pressure is building!  Love it!

If this is chronic problem, I am sure the Nederland PD has been contacted and patrol officers have been instructed to be on alert for the problem.

Just a reminder, early voting begins, tomorrow the 22nd and continues through Tuesday, April 30th at Nederland City Hall, 207 N. 12th St., Nederland.  The voting times are as follows:

Monday, April 22: 8a-5p

Tuesday, April 23, 7a-7p

Wednesday, April 24, 8a-5p

Thursday, April 25, 8a-5p

Friday, April 26, 8a-5p

Monday, April 29, 8a-5p

Tuesday, April 30, 7a-7p

Reagan and navydawg31 like this

On 4/21/2019 at 7:50 PM, WOSgrad said:

If this is chronic problem, I am sure the Nederland PD has been contacted and patrol officers have been instructed to be on alert for the problem.

They have.

Reagan likes this

13 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Just a reminder, early voting begins, tomorrow the 22nd and continues through Tuesday, April 30th at Nederland City Hall, 207 N. 12th St., Nederland.  The voting times are as follows:

Monday, April 22: 8a-5p

Tuesday, April 23, 7a-7p

Wednesday, April 24, 8a-5p

Thursday, April 25, 8a-5p

Friday, April 26, 8a-5p

Monday, April 29, 8a-5p

Tuesday, April 30, 7a-7p

I'm going tomorrow morning.

I presume everyone got their Jefferson County Appraisals?  Anyone surprised?  If anyone is shocked at what they've seen, and this bonds passes, it will get worst!  Just think about this when you go to the polls!

18 hours ago, Reagan said:

I presume everyone got their Jefferson County Appraisals?  Anyone surprised?  If anyone is shocked at what they've seen, and this bonds passes, it will get worst!  Just think about this when you go to the polls!

Roads, sewer lines, water lines and schools don't fix themselves.   Money doesn't come from the sky.   That is what your taxes pay for.  It is time to give the students schools that are ready for a 21st century education, not schools that are still stuck in the 1960s.

A BUC 77 and rhino1877 like this

I thought the High School was built in mid 70's

For whatever reason Nederland never/rarely passes bonds.  Pt Arthur, on the other hand, always does - of course nobody works over there so it's mostly federal $$

PNG always does - industry helps and PNG wants the best for students/staff

15 minutes ago, Whoa said:

I thought the High School was built in mid 70's

For whatever reason Nederland never/rarely passes bonds.  Pt Arthur, on the other hand, always does - of course nobody works over there so it's mostly federal $$

PNG always does - industry helps and PNG wants the best for students/staff

No.... so many of their tax dollars come from industry. And corporations can't vote. The feds aren't kicking anything in.  

I'll reiterate my position for the 97th time... I'm not opposed to a bond issue.  I'm opposed to a bond issue that's the size of this one.  I also don't understand knocking down the high school (which I believe is the newest school in NISD) because "our schools are outdated" while leaving the really old ones in place.  

Something should probably have been done before now.  Something probably needs to be done now.  The answer doesn't HAVE to be this massive.  That's why my vote would be "no."