Nederland Bond PASSES!!!!

Bigdog

34 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

"So their solution was:  take the newest school and demolish it to the tune of around $86,000,000.  Then, for good measure, tact on more to the tune of $156,000,000."

Again, there's no history on here that would state that I think the principle was anything other than $156,000,000.  Again -- the tack on more was the difference between 86 and 156.  Since it's confusing some, I'll admit I could have added the words "up to".  I'll concede that.  But, it doesn't change the meaning!  There's no indications by past comments that I believed that the bond would be more than $156,000,000.

47 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Not very often, its the same crap he's (or you) have been spewing on Facebook.   The tours were hosted at the schools and were several hours long.  The tours were hosted by NISD administrators.     

47 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Not very often, its the same crap he's (or you) have been spewing on Facebook.   The tours were hosted at the schools and were several hours longThe tours were hosted by NISD administrators.     

Sorry, don't do Facebook.  Klein gets information, like these receipts, from people who are concerned about wasting taxpayers dollars.   Anyway, I think we may be talking about 2 different meetings.  If we are going to talk we need to be talking about the same thing.  I'm talking about the Bond CAC meetings to discuss putting the bond together.  These specific meetings were held on:  9-13-18, 10-22-18, 11-5-18, 12-11-18, 1-10-19, and 2-6-19.  These are the ones that the tax dollars were spent for food.  I'm not talking about the later tours that were held at different schools for the public.  Now, I hope that's clear.  I'll ask again -- should taxpayers dollars have funded this food to the tune of over $2,700?  I also understand that it didn't stop there.  More on that later.   BTW -- I hear the spewing of "crap," as you put it, on Facebook is mainly done by the pro-bond people!    :)

6 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Sorry, don't do Facebook.  Klein gets information, like these receipts, from people who are concerned about wasting taxpayers dollars.   Anyway, I think we may be talking about 2 different meetings.  If we are going to talk we need to be talking about the same thing.  I'm talking about the Bond CAC meetings to discuss putting the bond together.  These specific meetings were held on:  9-13-18, 10-22-18, 11-5-18, 12-11-18, 1-10-19, and 2-6-19.  These are the ones that the tax dollars were spent for food.  I'm not talking about the later tours that were held at different schools for the public.  Now, I hope that's clear.  I'll ask again -- should taxpayers dollars have funded this food to the tune of over $2,700?   BTW -- I hear the spewing of "crap," as you put it, on Facebook is mainly done by the pro-bond people!    :)

Same meetings, tours were held during those meetings as well so the CAC could get a grasp of the issues in the schools.

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

It is my understanding that the school district paid out $2,765 for food and drink at 6 different bond CAC meetings.  Now, my question is, is this normal?  Shouldn't this food be provided with private money.  Maybe the district was reimbursed privately?  But let's say the district did fund this.  Seems like to me a district in such bad shape could have used this money for some technology upgrades.  Maybe some supplies for teachers.  Maybe the maint dept could have made some minor repairs. 

I don’t have a problem with them providing food for people that are taking 3+ hours out of their evenings to help better the community.  

The district provides plenty of people food all of the time.  Why should they provide a spread for the media in the press box at football games?  They are getting paid to be there.  Athletes and other extra curricular participants eat on our dime all of the time.  Coaches and refs at tournaments also.  

If we are going to ask people to spend their dinner time touring schools, I don’t have an issue feeding them.  

More attempts to throw garbage at the wall and try to make it stick.   The difference this time is social media where the facts are put out to refute rumors the no group start with facts.  We didn’t have that last time so they could start stuff around town to try and sink the bond with no counters.

My entire family in Nederland are voting yes. I have started my own real life survey asking everywhere I go in Nederland. I have had two people say no, two say they were not voting and 26 saying yes. That is not including the family members which number over 10. I see this as a pass. I find it hard to believe that it will fail. Nederland has done a fine job of being transparent, promoting, and following the right avenues to make it happen. Good luck heres to supporting the kids. 

16 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

I don’t have a problem with them providing food for people that are taking 3+ hours out of their evenings to help better the community.  

The district provides plenty of people food all of the time.  Why should they provide a spread for the media in the press box at football games?  They are getting paid to be there.  Athletes and other extra curricular participants eat on our dime all of the time.  Coaches and refs at tournaments also.  

If we are going to ask people to spend their dinner time touring schools, I don’t have an issue feeding them.  

Fair enough.  At least you answered!

27 minutes ago, BruinGrad87 said:

Apparently lots of families of young children moving out if this doesnt pass....

It would seem logical when you can get just as high quality of an education in a much more desirable facility with up to date security and advanced technology, just a few miles down the road.

I wouldn't want to raise my children in a community that doesn't want to invest in their future.

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

It would seem logical when you can get just as high quality of an education in a much more desirable facility with up to date security and advanced technology, just a few miles down the road.

I wouldn't want to raise my children in a community that doesn't want to invest in their future.

where are they going to go? 

13 hours ago, fox said:

how come you did not list port arthur or beaumont in that list?

THIS..... the two schools with the nicest facilities and biggest expenditures in the area didn’t make the list. 

It invalidated every single argument that the “yes” people can make. Period. 

Other than “the schools are really old” I guess. 

I’ll bet there are more families threatening to move because (or even FORCED to move) because of the higher tax bills. 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

THIS..... the two schools with the nicest facilities and biggest expenditures in the area didn’t make the list. 

It invalidated every single argument that the “yes” people can make. Period. 

Other than “the schools are really old” I guess. 

I’ll bet there are more families threatening to move because (or even FORCED to move) because of the higher tax bills. 

i will never understand the fear-mongering of paying a little more in taxes on the experiences of children as they grow... the whole reason we love the sports they play and the reason most of us are so interested and fond of this board is because of the good vibes and feelings we get when we think back to those times when we were going through school.... why wouldnt you want THE BEST EXPERIENCES POSSIBLE for the children in your area....? just has always perplexed me

25 minutes ago, BruinGrad87 said:

i will never understand the fear-mongering of paying a little more in taxes on the experiences of children as they grow... the whole reason we love the sports they play and the reason most of us are so interested and fond of this board is because of the good vibes and feelings we get when we think back to those times when we were going through school.... why wouldnt you want THE BEST EXPERIENCES POSSIBLE for the children in your area....? just has always perplexed me

The only answer I can think of is greed and/or selfishness. 

I didn't have it, my kids didn't have it, so why should anybody else's kids get to have it.

Or, it is my money, I earned it, I shouldn't have to foot the bill for somebody else. If they want it, let them pay for it themselves.

The second reason is why Public Education is in the state that it is in right now and we have people and politicians like Dan Patrick trying to completely destroy public education. It is sad to say, but anytime you vote straight Republican ticket at the State level, you are putting another nail the coffin of Public Education. And when it is finally dead and buried, there goes High School sports as we know and love them. 

12 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

The only answer I can think of is greed and/or selfishness. 

I didn't have it, my kids didn't have it, so why should anybody else's kids get to have it.

Or, it is my money, I earned it, I shouldn't have to foot the bill for somebody else. If they want it, let them pay for it themselves.

The second reason is why Public Education is in the state that it is in right now and we have people and politicians like Dan Patrick trying to completely destroy public education. It is sad to say, but anytime you vote straight Republican ticket at the State level, you are putting another nail the coffin of Public Education. And when it is finally dead and buried, there goes High School sports as we know and love them. 

Let me give you a reason why some of my family in Nederland is not wanting to absorb any more cost.  Hurricane Harvey was almost 2 years ago & many people in Nederland are still trying to get their repairs paid for, with, or without insurance.  Those who had no insurance are in debt because they cannot sale their property & have nowhere to go, so they are getting loans & trying to get honest contractors to rebuild (Good Luck!)  Many who had insurance were not reimbursed enough for their repairs, and are carrying extra loan debt.  Those that have insurance are seeing the cost of that insurance going up, even though they were not fairly reimbursed.  Not to mention those that have had to replace personal items that were not covered by insurance.  Now, as you put it "greed and/or selfishness" is playing no part in those peoples decision to vote "NO"  They are just hoping to not have yet another increase in outgoing expenses on top of everything else they are going through.  Walk a mile in their "current"  shoes & try to understand where they are coming from.  Do not group everyone together as a whole. Please do not judge!

1 hour ago, png9mon said:

Not judging anyone, just trying to get a handle on why?

I said the only two i could think of, I'm sure there are many more reasons like the ones you mentioned. I was not judging, to each their own, I was just giving reasons. 

We all have our own crosses to bear and I feel for those individuals you are referring to. Being taken advantage of is a horrible thing, that no one should have to experience. However, I am pretty sure those are not the ones leading the charge for the NO votes. Those are not the one's speaking out publicly, they are not the Klein's and Reagan's of the world. I'm pretty sure those two fit into one or both of the categories i mentioned.

18 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Not judging anyone, just trying to get a handle on why?

I said the only two i could think of, I'm sure there are many more reasons like the ones you mentioned. I was not judging, to each their own, I was just giving reasons. 

We all have our own crosses to bear and I feel for those individuals you are referring to. Being taken advantage of is a horrible thing, that no one should have to experience. However, I am pretty sure those are not the ones leading the charge for the NO votes. Those are not he one speaking out publicly, they are not the Klein's and Reagan's of the world. I'm pretty sure those two fit into on or both of the categories i mentioned.

Agreed there are many reasons for "Yes" & "No" votes based on age, lifestyle, kids, home value etc...  Thank God we live in a country where regardless of the uneducated, or educated decision of how you will choose to vote, on this local level issue, it is your decision, and that should be respected. 

We already know how many people are throwing politics into their argument for support, or non-support of the bond.. 

I do not believe anyone wants a local, or state decision for that matter,  to go the way of the madness of childishness, and disrespect that the National Government has system has become.