Nederland Bond PASSES!!!!

Bigdog

4 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Let me repeat what the President of the school board has said: "President of the board, Suzanne Isom, stated this in a "Meet The Candidate" article: “I’m proud of the kids and how they’ve scored on tests,” she said. “Their grades and knowledge have increased."  Now this doesn't sound like she thinks the students are lacking.  So, are you saying without this massive bond of $156,000,000 Nederland students are going without the latest and greatest technology?  Is there a mass exodus of students because of this the school district is lacking on the educational front.  Mrs. isom doesn't think so.   Heck, if this is the case, then why the want of building a new high school?!  

Sounds like she is not ready to settle or sit idle. Sound like she wants continued improving into the future. Can you provide a quality education for less than a $156,000,000? Yes. You could build a perfectly adequate bare necessity home for you and your family for $30,000. Something tells me you would want more for them if you are able. 

Could have replaced 4 elementary schools and re-done the high school 9 years ago for $30 million less...continuing to wait only increases the price tag...I suppose the idea is to wait until the buildings are ready to fall down before they are replaced

Again, I despise spending money, especially this much, but at some point, you have to realize that what you have is not what you need to carry you forward effectively...at what point did someone decide to replace all of the outhouses with indoor plumbing?  I'm sure that cost money and outhouses worked pretty well up until that point...somebody found a more effective way to do things

54 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Let me repeat what the President of the school board has said: "President of the board, Suzanne Isom, stated this in a "Meet The Candidate" article: “I’m proud of the kids and how they’ve scored on tests,” she said. “Their grades and knowledge have increased."  Now this doesn't sound like she thinks the students are lacking.  So, are you saying without this massive bond of $156,000,000 Nederland students are going without the latest and greatest technology?  Is there a mass exodus of students because of this the school district is lacking on the educational front.  Mrs. isom doesn't think so.   Heck, if this is the case, then why the want of building a new high school?!  

If you have read an article, why didn't you post a link to the entire article?  Is it because it would reveal ALL that Board President Isom said?

Well, I will:

This is the hidden content, please

Because the full quote on that matter was that, " I’m proud of the kids and how they’ve scored on tests,” she said. “Their grades and knowledge has increased. We have a very good superintendent who pushes teachers. I’m proud of the school district as whole.”

BUT, Mrs. Isom was asked about her position on the bond, "The Nederland Independent School District’s Citizens Advisory Committee met for the final time Wednesday to discuss a presentation to the board for a potential bond issue. Isom said she hopes a bond will pass come May.

“I’ve been through two other bonds that didn’t pass,” she said. “I hope this one will.”

At the final meeting, Isom said she was not sure of the rules about advocating for a potential bond issue, but she has been on record in the past saying she would like a new school facility."

I understand your position about the bond proposal and you are certainly free to express that opposition here.  However, I would hope that in the future, you would avoid the half truth's (Mrs. Isom's views on the state of the district) and outright lies (asserting that the BCISD was having to "cut programs" due to a bond issue that was voted down) that you have attempted to resort to the last few days.

18 hours ago, Razor said:

Again, I despise spending money, especially this much, but at some point, you have to realize that what you have is not what you need to carry you forward effectively...at what point did someone decide to replace all of the outhouses with indoor plumbing?  I'm sure that cost money and outhouses worked pretty well up until that point...somebody found a more effective way to do things

I wonder if our "friend" has Air Conditioning in his truck?

Does he electric door locks?

Automatic windows?

All of these things were "invented" since the last "new" school was built in Nederland, if I'm not mistaken.

21 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

If you have read an article, why didn't you post a link to the entire article?  Is it because it would reveal ALL that Board President Isom said?

Well, I will:

This is the hidden content, please

Because the full quote on that matter was that, " I’m proud of the kids and how they’ve scored on tests,” she said. “Their grades and knowledge has increased. We have a very good superintendent who pushes teachers. I’m proud of the school district as whole.”

BUT, Mrs. Isom was asked about her position on the bond, "The Nederland Independent School District’s Citizens Advisory Committee met for the final time Wednesday to discuss a presentation to the board for a potential bond issue. Isom said she hopes a bond will pass come May.

“I’ve been through two other bonds that didn’t pass,” she said. “I hope this one will.”

At the final meeting, Isom said she was not sure of the rules about advocating for a potential bond issue, but she has been on record in the past saying she would like a new school facility."

I understand your position about the bond proposal and you are certainly free to express that opposition here.  However, I would hope that in the future, you would avoid the half truth's (Mrs. Isom's views on the state of the district) and outright lies (asserting that the BCISD was having to "cut programs" due to a bond issue that was voted down) that you have attempted to resort to the last few days.

First of all, I never said the the BISD was fact.  I had seen this info and put it here to see if anyone knew if this was true or false.  As stated here, it was false.  Second, I had no doubt that that Mrs. Isom would be for the bond.  But -- that wasn't the point I was making.  I was stating that Nederland ISD is good the way it is by using her words.  And -- didn't I thank you for the info on the bond issues?!  And, again, the majority of this massive bond issue will not educate one child!

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

I wonder if our "friend" has Air Conditioning in his truck?

Does he electric door locks?

Automatic windows?

All of these things were "invented" since the last "new" school was built in Nederland, if I'm not mistaken.

Nederland's education is good the way it is.  Nothing stated here would educate one child!

22 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Nederland's education is good the way it is.  Nothing stated here would educate one child!

So, I'm curious as to what model and year your current vehicle is?  I bet you upgrade at least every 5-7 years to a newer model.  Why do you do that when your 5-7 year old vehicle is just fine as long as you keep up maintenance on it.  Well I can think of several reasons, such as dependability, less maintenance costs, newer,efficient design and comfort, upgraded technology so as to use the abundant and helpful "smart" features that are now offered.  I can list more but I think you get the point. So have you toured the schools?  Your opinion is buildings are fine, even though maintenance costs are through the roof and overcrowding is serious problem, which a new school would correct and provide a comfortable learning environment.  Current design of the schools are not using the space to get the most bang for the buck, you got overcrowded classrooms and teacher spaces/desks are a joke for them to conduct class from, which again a new school with an UPDATED layout would fix this. As far as technology, these kids need to be exposed to the latest and greatest technological environment that we can possibly provide and not hold them back in a 1970's environment, and once again, a new school will help provide this.  Our schools lose value the older they get and has a direct impact on property values within the district as well. Please, open your eyes and your mindset.  I don't know if you have kids in the schools here and if you don't I can understand why you wouldn't want to pay higher taxes to cover it.  I guess it's kinda like having to pay for car insurance each month that you don't use, but it sure is nice to have when you NEED it right.  Well ..... these kids and future kids coming up NEED this. 

35 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Progress my "friend."

Move forward or get left behind.

Kids should not have to do without, just because a few people are not willing to increase their taxes by .02 cents per dollar of property value

The bold is true.  But -- is this the only hit to the family budget?  Has anyone thought about the total consequences.  I understand the board's game plan is to push this x amount per x value.  While true what they say, the whole story isn't being told.  Think about it.

5 minutes ago, Reagan said:

The bold is true.  But -- is this the only hit to the family budget?  Has anyone thought about the total consequences.  I understand the board's game plan is to push this x amount per x value.  While true what they say, the whole story isn't being told.  Think about it.

Maintenance cost will actually go down.

Expenditures for upkeep will be diminished.

Dude, you are losing me here......  

7 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Yes, which 100% of home owners with a mortgage will never see, because property taxes are built into your mortgage.

10 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Can you share what part of the story is not being told?

58 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Good point. I think the "maintenance costs going down" is a profound and important advantage to upgrading. It is true that the bond costs 156 million dollars, but Nederland is already paying a certain amount every year in the form of lost time to inefficiencies that come from bad equipment/facilities and having to repair and upkeep bad equipment, etc. The choice to not upgrade is an expensive one and it can be measured in actual dollars that repeat year after year after year. I would love to see some calculations as to how much added costs have already come from the facilities being so old. Improved facilities, while expensive in the short run, can bring those costs down, ultimately leading to long-term savings. 

There's also an advantage to the hiring process that comes from improved facilities -- Teachers want to work at schools with nice facilities. You aren't just paying for bricks and mortar -- You are paying for an overall work and educational experience that will encourage teachers and staff to come and stay. The bright, enthusiastic, prepared teachers that everyone wants to have teach their kids are more likely to want to go to Nederland if the building looks like someone in charge cares about the school and that the community  is willing to spend money to make things work. That, theoretically, will lead to a better educational experience for the kids. It's not the only thing that brings teachers in, but I think it is an important one. 

I am a PNG alum and have a child in high school. But, I believe the kids of NISD deserve the upgrades and new school this bond is proposing. With all the success these kids have had in academics and athletics and the teachers and coaches the main reason. They deserve all and more then what this bond is proposing. This guy Reagan is on here to do nothing but rile up the older class and convince them it will hit there wallets hard. They need to know that people 65 and older are EXEMPT from this. But a lot don’t know and people like this bonehead Reagan convince them it does so they come out in droves to the polls. Meanwhile a number of the younger class say they don’t have time to get to the polls so don’t go. If Nederland wants this bond to pass they better get the younger crowd to the polls and out vote the older class that have kept bonds from passing in previous years. I really would like to see this bond pass because the teachers and KIDS deserve better equipment and facilities.

4 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Good point. I think the "maintenance costs going down" is a profound and important advantage to upgrading. It is true that the bond costs 156 million dollars, but Nederland is already paying a certain amount every year in the form of lost time to inefficiencies that come from bad equipment/facilities and having to repair and upkeep bad equipment, etc. The choice to not upgrade is an expensive one and it can be measured in actual dollars that repeat year after year after year. I would love to see some calculations as to how much added costs have already come from the facilities being so old. Improved facilities, while expensive in the short run, can bring those costs down, ultimately leading to long-term savings. 

There's also an advantage to the hiring process that comes from improved facilities -- Teachers want to work at schools with nice facilities. You aren't just paying for bricks and mortar -- You are paying for an overall work and educational experience that will encourage teachers and staff to come and stay. The bright, enthusiastic, prepared teachers that everyone wants to have teach their kids are more likely to want to go to Nederland if the building looks like someone in charge cares about the school and that the community  is willing to spend money to make things work. That, theoretically, will lead to a better educational experience for the kids. It's not the only thing that brings teachers in, but I think it is an important one. 

All good  points.

2 hours ago, Coach85 said:

I am a PNG alum and have a child in high school. But, I believe the kids of NISD deserve the upgrades and new school this bond is proposing. With all the success these kids have had in academics and athletics and the teachers and coaches the main reason. They deserve all and more then what this bond is proposing. This guy Reagan is on here to do nothing but rile up the older class and convince them it will hit there wallets hard. They need to know that people 65 and older are EXEMPT from this. But a lot don’t know and people like this bonehead Reagan convince them it does so they come out in droves to the polls. Meanwhile a number of the younger class say they don’t have time to get to the polls so don’t go. If Nederland wants this bond to pass they better get the younger crowd to the polls and out vote the older class that have kept bonds from passing in previous years. I really would like to see this bond pass because the teachers and KIDS deserve better equipment and facilities.

Good points as well.  :)

20 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

I said to the family budget.  This is the info I will impart here right before this massive bond issue goes to the public for a vote.  I want it fresh on everyone's minds.  Friends at work was falling for the board's game plan of small x amount of dollars for x amount of value.  But -- when I explained the total hit to the family budget they saw things a little differently.  I told them I wasn't trying to persuade them one way or the other.  But I told them to consider all the facts.  One friend was an original no vote while the other was a yes before our conversation is now not sure.  So, Dude, all I ask you to do was to think about the hit to the family budget. 

17 hours ago, Coach85 said:

WOW!  Resorting to name calling.  Impressive!

10 hours ago, Reagan said:

I said to the family budget.  This is the info I will impart here right before this massive bond issue goes to the public for a vote.  I want it fresh on everyone's minds.  Friends at work was falling for the board's game plan of small x amount of dollars for x amount of value.  But -- when I explained the total hit to the family budget they saw things a little differently.  I told them I wasn't trying to persuade them one way or the other.  But I told them to consider all the facts.  One friend was an original no vote while the other was a yes before our conversation is now not sure.  So, Dude, all I ask you to do was to think about the hit to the family budget. 

Did you attend or participate in any of the Citizens Advisory Committee meetings? Board members that attended were just spectators and did not participate. 

Where are you coming up with “the board’s game plan?”

How did you explain the “total hit to the family budget” vs what is and has already been communicated? The proposed tax rate increase is widely available and public. There is nothing hidden. Are you going to tell me the interest rate is 18% too and these bonds are financed for 40 years?

13 hours ago, MMosley07 said:

Did you attend or participate in any of the Citizens Advisory Committee meetings? Board members that attended were just spectators and did not participate. 

Where are you coming up with “the board’s game plan?”

How did you explain the “total hit to the family budget” vs what is and has already been communicated? The proposed tax rate increase is widely available and public. There is nothing hidden. Are you going to tell me the interest rate is 18% too and these bonds are financed for 40 years?

I haven't seen any further hit to the family budget explained from anyone here, including you.  All I hear is the game plan talking points.  Which I've said before, is not untrue.  But...  Like I said -- I will explain as close to May 4th as possible so it'll be fresh on people's minds. If this massive bond fails, Nederland's educational system will continue to be excellent.  Can you deny this?  Again, the majority of this bond(s) is wants -- not needs!

11 hours ago, Reagan said:

I haven't seen any further hit to the family budget explained from anyone here, including you.  All I hear is the game plan talking points.  Which I've said before, is not untrue.  But...  Like I said -- I will explain as close to May 4th as possible so it'll be fresh on people's minds. If this massive bond fails, Nederland's educational system will continue to be excellent.  Can you deny this?  Again, the majority of this bond(s) is wants -- not needs!

You can not make this claim unless you have personal knowledge of the facilities or have taken one of the tours provided.