Nederland Bond PASSES!!!!

Bigdog

54 minutes ago, mat said:

I think that's illegal.

That is why I asked if it happening, because it is indeed illegal.  Nederland ISD personnel in their official capacities, are not allowed to advocate pro or con regarding the bond issue.  Now, teachers in their off time, can engage in debate.  But a school district paying for the printing signs such as placards, yard signs, etc. to be distributed does cross that legal line.

49 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

That is why I asked if it happening, because it is indeed illegal.  Nederland ISD personnel in their official capacities, are not allowed to advocate pro or con regarding the bond issue.  Now, teachers in their off time, can engage in debate.  But a school district paying for the printing signs such as placards, yard signs, etc. to be distributed does cross that legal line.

I believe what he is referring to is the signs put at each school and football stadium that details what is proposed at each location.  These signs do not advocate for or against the bond and are informational only.

8 minutes ago, KABrother said:

I believe what he is referring to is the signs put at each school and football stadium that details what is proposed at each location.  These signs do not advocate for or against the bond and are informational only.

That is okay.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:07 AM, Reagan said:

The pro-bond folks must be in full panic mode.  I have heard that they have been stealing anti-bond signs.  Now I know for a fact they are.  A couple i have seen around the city are "no longer" there.   I think the "disappeared" yesterday.  The pressure is building!  Love it!

If this is chronic problem, I am sure the Nederland PD has been contacted and patrol officers have been instructed to be on alert for the problem.

Just a reminder, early voting begins, tomorrow the 22nd and continues through Tuesday, April 30th at Nederland City Hall, 207 N. 12th St., Nederland.  The voting times are as follows:

Monday, April 22: 8a-5p

Tuesday, April 23, 7a-7p

Wednesday, April 24, 8a-5p

Thursday, April 25, 8a-5p

Friday, April 26, 8a-5p

Monday, April 29, 8a-5p

Tuesday, April 30, 7a-7p

13 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Just a reminder, early voting begins, tomorrow the 22nd and continues through Tuesday, April 30th at Nederland City Hall, 207 N. 12th St., Nederland.  The voting times are as follows:

Monday, April 22: 8a-5p

Tuesday, April 23, 7a-7p

Wednesday, April 24, 8a-5p

Thursday, April 25, 8a-5p

Friday, April 26, 8a-5p

Monday, April 29, 8a-5p

Tuesday, April 30, 7a-7p

I'm going tomorrow morning.

18 hours ago, Reagan said:

I presume everyone got their Jefferson County Appraisals?  Anyone surprised?  If anyone is shocked at what they've seen, and this bonds passes, it will get worst!  Just think about this when you go to the polls!

Roads, sewer lines, water lines and schools don't fix themselves.   Money doesn't come from the sky.   That is what your taxes pay for.  It is time to give the students schools that are ready for a 21st century education, not schools that are still stuck in the 1960s.

I thought the High School was built in mid 70's

For whatever reason Nederland never/rarely passes bonds.  Pt Arthur, on the other hand, always does - of course nobody works over there so it's mostly federal $$

PNG always does - industry helps and PNG wants the best for students/staff

15 minutes ago, Whoa said:

For whatever reason Nederland never/rarely passes bonds.  Pt Arthur, on the other hand, always does - of course nobody works over there so it's mostly federal $$

No.... so many of their tax dollars come from industry. And corporations can't vote. The feds aren't kicking anything in.  

I'll reiterate my position for the 97th time... I'm not opposed to a bond issue.  I'm opposed to a bond issue that's the size of this one.  I also don't understand knocking down the high school (which I believe is the newest school in NISD) because "our schools are outdated" while leaving the really old ones in place.  

Something should probably have been done before now.  Something probably needs to be done now.  The answer doesn't HAVE to be this massive.  That's why my vote would be "no."

3 hours ago, Whoa said:

The High School was completed in 1971 it might be the newest school but it's in the worst shape out of the schools as a few people have mentioned and terribly designed. I invite you all to go visit Steven Nelson's Facebook page. He's been a teacher at the high school for close to 30 years and he has some good insight on the current condition of the school. 

Yes, this is a massive bond.  Yes our taxes will go up.  But when I take a real good look at all the school buildings, parking lots, lighting, pickup spots, the stadium, it all needs upgrades.  It could be 1972.   Upgrades that should have been done a long time ago.  But they weren't.  I get a little envious when I visit other schools that have new upgrades.  So go vote.

7 hours ago, bigdog said:

Roads, sewer lines, water lines and schools don't fix themselves.   Money doesn't come from the sky.   That is what your taxes pay for.  It is time to give the students schools that are ready for a 21st century education, not schools that are still stuck in the 1960s.

I thought it was already established that the educational system in Nederland was excellent.  Apparently you don't think so?!  Explain your differing opinion on why you think it's so bad. 

7 hours ago, Whoa said:

I live in Port Arthur.  I work.  My brothers and sisters work.  My friends work. My sons work.  Who are you referring to?  Could you be a little more specific please...

19 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

No.... so many of their tax dollars come from industry. And corporations can't vote. The feds aren't kicking anything in.  

I'll reiterate my position for the 97th time... I'm not opposed to a bond issue.  I'm opposed to a bond issue that's the size of this one.  I also don't understand knocking down the high school (which I believe is the newest school in NISD) because "our schools are outdated" while leaving the really old ones in place.  

Something should probably have been done before now.  Something probably needs to be done now.  The answer doesn't HAVE to be this massive.  That's why my vote would be "no."

The elementary schools were redone with the last bond.  That’s how we got all of those terrible looking HVAC units on the buildings from the street.  The HS is currently in worse shape than the others in the district.  

On 4/22/2019 at 3:26 PM, Reagan said:

I presume everyone got their Jefferson County Appraisals?  Anyone surprised?  If anyone is shocked at what they've seen, and this bonds passes, it will get worst!  Just think about this when you go to the polls!

My problem with JCAD is the increased prices of comps they are using are post Harvey pricing.  The prices of homes shot up after the storm, so they have comps to justify the big increases if you challenge.  Prices have started to go back down some.  I just don’t think it’s right increase taxes based on one of the worst natural disasters to ever hit our area.  

We could just do like Motiva and throw them the finger and say we aren’t paying. I bet that doesn’t work out so well for us like it does them.  

49 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

My problem with JCAD is the increased prices of comps they are using are post Harvey pricing.  The prices of homes shot up after the storm, so they have comps to justify the big increases if you challenge.  Prices have started to go back down some.  I just don’t think it’s right increase taxes based on one of the worst natural disasters to ever hit our area.  

We could just do like Motiva and throw them the finger and say we aren’t paying. I bet that doesn’t work out so well for us like it does them.  

It's not just JCAD and post-Harvey pricing.  CADs across the state are under unbelievable pressure from the State to bring Appraised Values "in line."  The state feels like local govs and schools should be wringing every possible dollar from local property taxes before the State has to kick in funding. School Districts are penalized (by having some funding withheld) if the state determines that the CAD is under-appraising.  It's a nasty situation that will result in higher appraised values.  

The obvious solution would be for local governments and entities to back down their tax rates and curb spending, but they won't.  They'll spend every penny of the "new" taxes brought in by higher appraised values.

I know of one particular school district whose 2018 certified tax roll was worth 370 million dollars... the 2019 value is predicted to be 450 million dollars. The value of a tract I own in Hardin County bumped from 56k to 92k this year...   I literally gave $65k for it in late 2018... closed at a title company and can provide my settlement statement.  I can buy acreage adjacent to mine RIGHT NOW for the same price that I gave for mine... it's advertised.   Like... there's not even a fence.   IT'S NEXT TO MINE.  The CAD doesn't care. My new value is what "they" say it is...

That's what drives me nuts about "it's only $30/month."  Your taxes will likely be jumping more than that without even a bond issue. People need to look around.

48 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's not just JCAD and post-Harvey pricing.  CADs across the state are under unbelievable pressure from the State to bring Appraised Values "in line."  The state feels like local govs and schools should be wringing every possible dollar from local property taxes before the State has to kick in funding. School Districts are penalized (by having some funding withheld) if the state determines that the CAD is under-appraising.  It's a nasty situation that will result in higher appraised values.  

The obvious solution would be for local governments and entities to back down their tax rates and curb spending, but they won't.  They'll spend every penny of the "new" taxes brought in by higher appraised values.

I know of one particular school district whose 2018 certified tax roll was worth 370 million dollars... the 2019 value is predicted to be 450 million dollars. The value of a tract I own in Hardin County bumped from 56k to 92k this year...   I literally gave $65k for it in late 2018... closed at a title company and can provide my settlement statement.  I can buy acreage adjacent to mine RIGHT NOW for the same price that I gave for mine... it's advertised.   Like... there's not even a fence.   IT'S NEXT TO MINE.  The CAD doesn't care. My new value is what "they" say it is...

That's what drives me nuts about "it's only $30/month."  Your taxes will likely be jumping more than that without even a bond issue. People need to look around.

You are 100% correct, this is how Dan Patrick and his cronies in Austin plan on "saving" public education without the state having to pay a dime.

But, this is not on Nederland ISD and shouldn't be even talked about in the same breath.

The problem with you argument all along @CardinalBacker is that you support a bond issue, but just not one this "massive." But, the problem with this argument is that Nederland has tried to pass smaller bonds in the past to build and maintain facilities and keep up with technology demands just to have them defeated by the like of Klein and "Reagan."

The reason this "massive" bond is in the voters hands now is because of the communities lack of support for past initiatives.