Nederland Bond PASSES!!!!

Bigdog

Cardinal Backer, curious if you know how NISD did in managing their previous bond... were they over / on / under budget?  This will be a larger scope, but past performance is the only indicator we have for how they money will get managed.  I think they have a good idea of the overall cost, There is plenty of reliable historical data for schools being built to provide a good budget.  Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, NDOMAKONG said:

Cardinal Backer, curious if you know how NISD did in managing their previous bond... were they over / on / under budget?  This will be a larger scope, but past performance is the only indicator we have for how they money will get managed.  I think they have a good idea of the overall cost, There is plenty of reliable historical data for schools being built to provide a good budget.  Just my thoughts.

I can answer for him. They came in under budget by about 1mil. 

8 hours ago, NDOMAKONG said:

No, I do not know. 

One cannot run and hide from the fact that $156,000,000 is a massive amount of debt.  And like I mentioned before -- kids in school now, if they stay in Nederland, will be paying dept service on this $156,000,000 when they become adults!  Astonishing! 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

One cannot run and hide from the fact that $156,000,000 is a massive amount of debt.  And like I mentioned before -- kids in school now, if they stay in Nederland, will be paying dept service on this $156,000,000 when they become adults!  Astonishing! 

How long is your house note?

Using Reagan's rationale, you would never buy anything that you had to pay over any length of time...is it expensive?? yes...is it going to get any less expensive? No...you can only put lipstick on a pig for so long and IMO, continuing to spend maintenance budget money on old, outdated facilities is a waste of money as well...NISD's maintenance budget has been rather substantial in years past...again, its a difference in philosophy

15 hours ago, Reagan said:

And if they move away, they will be paying for some other bond as well. Cant escape having to pay taxes.

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

That’s not a good sign for the yes votes, IMO. 

Typically people don’t go stand in long lines to pay higher taxes. But they absolutely will stand in line if it means their taxes will remain low. 

Just an observation. 

I think people will stand in line for a better, safer and more up to date NISD.  I didn't ask anyone on there views.  It was a mix crowd old and young.  But that is good.  We will get an answer Saturday night. 

15 hours ago, A BUC 77 said:

I think people will stand in line for a better, safer and more up to date NISD.  I didn't ask anyone on there views.  It was a mix crowd old and young.  But that is good.  We will get an answer Saturday night. 

I think your right, when I went to vote the line was out of the door and that was BEFORE the new tax assessment notifications were received in the mail. I still have a very positive feeling this bond is passing! 

The bond in its present form, wanting to demolish the newest school, is akin to someone personally saying:  Well, my house needs a new roof and I want security installed.  And my first thought is to demolish the house and build a new one on its spot.  Sure, you'll get a new roof and a security system.  But man, the cost!!  I guess one could justify it, like this bond, by saying -- it makes sense to do this now because later on down the road it'll cost so much more to do this.  I guess it makes it alright if someone else is paying for it.  Right!!??  But think about it -- NO ONE in their right mind would personally think like this!!

I hope whatever happens Nederland can either work out something more suitable to everyone or be as transparent as deserved by the community so everyone can be as comfortable as it is possible to be. This does not need to split the community. I hope it serves to strengthen it somehow.

10 hours ago, Reagan said:

The bond in its present form, wanting to demolish the newest school, is akin to someone personally saying:  Well, my house needs a new roof and I want security installed.  And my first thought is to demolish the house and build a new one on its spot.  Sure, you'll get a new roof and a security system.  But man, the cost!!  I guess one could justify it, like this bond, by saying -- it makes sense to do this now because later on down the road it'll cost so much more to do this.  I guess it makes it alright if someone else is paying for it.  Right!!??  But think about it -- NO ONE in their right mind would personally think like this!!

No. That’s not what the bond proposal is similar to.