Nederland Bond PASSES!!!!

Bigdog

Nederland’s current tax rate is $1.15 per $100 worth of valuation. The bond promises an increase of an additional $0.33 per $100 worth of valuation to a renewed tax rate of $1.48 per $100. In plains English, an increase of 29%. 

Why don’t we ask people what they think of a bump of 29% in their school taxes instead of that $30/month garbage?

if you look back at the way that home values are skyrocketing as the state cracks down on Appraisal Disticts, you have to assume that you value will continue to increase and therefore your taxes will go up even higher. 

What will my tax bill be if my $200k home goes up in value by 10% in the next two years? 

I can help with that. Right now I’m coughing up $2300/year. With the spike in value to $220k and the new bond issue, my new tax bill is gonna be. $3,256 per year. School only. When you figure that the other six entities will also be paid their share based on my new value AND potential tax hikes, it can get ugly quick. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Nederland’s current tax rate is $1.15 per $100 worth of valuation. The bond promises an increase of an additional $0.33 per $100 worth of valuation to a renewed tax rate of $1.48 per $100. In plains English, an increase of 29%. 

Why don’t we ask people what they think of a bump of 29% in their school taxes instead of that $30/month garbage?

if you look back at the way that home values are skyrocketing as the state cracks down on Appraisal Disticts, you have to assume that you value will continue to increase and therefore your taxes will go up even higher. 

What will my tax bill be if my $200k home goes up in value by 10% in the next two years? 

I can help with that. Right now I’m coughing up $2300/year. With the spike in value to $220k and the new bond issue, my new tax bill is gonna be. $3,256 per year. School only. When you figure that the other six entities will also be paid their share based on my new value AND potential tax hikes, it can get ugly quick. 

Make no mistake...The state is pressuring the local appraisal districts to jack up the values as much as they can before they (the legislature) “come to the aid” of the taxpayers...Talk to any Hardin or Tyler County taxpayer..It’s all smoke and mirrors from  the boys in Austin...

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Because it’s $30 month.  You can try to spin it but it doesn’t change that.

1 hour ago, bigdog said:

Because it’s $30 month.  You can try to spin it but it doesn’t change that.

Lol.... no it’s not. It’s going to be more for the average homeowner initially and set to explode in the future as the state forces CADs to increase property values. 

This is the hidden content, please

The median home value in Nederland is $153,000.... not $100k. The typical homeowner will pay $50/month additional.... not thirty. And more than that as appraised values are pushed up by the state. 

Some people don’t want to admit they’re being lied to. 

Lol.... no it’s not. It’s going to be more for the average homeowner initially and set to explode in the future as the state forces CADs to increase property values. 

The median home value in Nederland is $153,000.... not $100k. The typical homeowner will pay $50/month additional.... not thirty. And more than that as appraised values are pushed up by the state. 

Some people don’t want to admit they’re being lied to. 

I understand that if the bond issue is passed that school taxes will go up approximately 33Cents per $100 of value. Will the tax rate be the same until all bonds have been paid?No. The only year projected to reach the maximum increase is tax year 2020. That is when the tax rate is at its’ highest point. It is projected that the tax rate will then decrease slightly each year thereafter.

What is the total projected tax impact to the owner of a $125,000 home? Will this amount of tax increase be consistent throughout the 25-year bonded indebtedness?  The maximum projected tax increase for a home valued at $125,000 will be $27.50 per month in 2020 assuming that both bond propositions pass. The cost will probably be less in the years following 2020, as the value of the district increases, the tax rate amount needed to pay the bond debt will go down.

7 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I understand that if the bond issue is passed that school taxes will go up approximately 33Cents per $100 of value. Will the tax rate be the same until all bonds have been paid?No. The only year projected to reach the maximum increase is tax year 2020. That is when the tax rate is at its’ highest point. It is projected that the tax rate will then decrease slightly each year thereafter.

What is the total projected tax impact to the owner of a $125,000 home? Will this amount of tax increase be consistent throughout the 25-year bonded indebtedness?  The maximum projected tax increase for a home valued at $125,000 will be $27.50 per month in 2020 assuming that both bond propositions pass. The cost will probably be less in the years following 2020, as the value of the district increases, the tax rate amount needed to pay the bond debt will go down.

Lol.... c’mon! Our property taxes have gone up year after year, but as soon as they borrow this money (and before the schools are even built... no way they’ll be completed in 2020) our taxes will suddenly start going DOWN? Are you seriously buying that? We must not have borrowed enough on the last bond issue, because they have just kept going up.  

True story. My truck got worse fuel mileage than advertised. I did some research and bought a K&N air filter, keep my tires properly inflated, drive the speed limit, and never accelerate rapidly. My truck doesn’t use fuel anymore. It makes it! If I forget to siphon the tank down every three or four days, the tank will literally overflow and fuel spills out on the ground! 

Do you remember way back in 2010 when the ACA was gonna save us all $2000 per year on our health insurance? Do you know a single person whose healthcare costs have gone down? No, they’ve exploded... just like your property taxes will if this massive cash grab is voted through.

I like all of the “probablies” and “projections.” 

Here’s a actual fact for you. Not a “probably” or a “projection.”

2018 tax rates... Nederland is currently the lowest in Jefferson County at $1.15 per $100. They’ll instantly move to the highest in Jefferson County once that 0.33 increase is approved. $1.48 per $100 puts NISD as having the HIGHEST property tax rate in Jeffco. 

Then consider that NISD isn’t being supported by industrial or commercial accounts. There are no refineries or Dowlen Roads in NISD’s tax base... just a bunch of homes. The highest school taxes in Jefferson County and this one will be soaked up by real PEOPLE. 

The numbers don’t lie. 

11 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Lol.... c’mon! Our property taxes have gone up year after year, but as soon as they borrow this money (and before the schools are even built... no way they’ll be completed in 2020) our taxes will suddenly start going DOWN? Are you seriously buying that? We must not have borrowed enough on the last bond issue, because they have just kept going up.  

True story. My truck got worse fuel mileage than advertised. I did some research and bought a K&N air filter, keep my tires properly inflated, drive the speed limit, and never accelerate rapidly. My truck doesn’t use fuel anymore. It makes it! If I forget to siphon the tank down every three or four days, the tank will literally overflow and fuel spills out on the ground! 

Do you remember way back in 2010 when the ACA was gonna save us all $2000 per year on our health insurance? Do you know a single person whose healthcare costs have gone down? No, they’ve exploded... just like your property taxes will if this massive cash grab is voted through.

2018 tax rates... Nederland is currently the lowest in Jefferson County at $1.15 per $100. They’ll instantly move to the highest in Jefferson County once that 0.33 increase is approved. $1.48 per $100 puts NISD as having the HIGHEST property tax rate in Jeffco. 

Then consider that NISD isn’t being supported by industrial or commercial accounts. There are no refineries or Dowlen Roads in NISD’s tax base... just a bunch of homes. The highest school taxes in Jefferson County and this one will be soaked up by real PEOPLE. 

The numbers don’t lie. 

Isn’t Sunoco, Lucite, Air Liquide on the NISD tax roll? 

49 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

The numbers don’t lie. 

This is what causes school bond debt service tax rate to increase:

49 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

The numbers don’t lie. 

I read that the tax rate that supports bond debt in school districts is lowered as the overall value of a school district increases. How does that work?  Like most things, the value of property increases over time and the overall value of property in a school district is no exception. As property values increase, the revenue generated to pay for bond debt increases, thus the I&S tax rate may be lowered.  School districts cannot promise that future values will increase each year, so Nederland ISD cannot promise a future reduction in the tax rate, however, over time school district values usually trend higher which allows school districts to lower the tax rate associated with bond issue debt repayment.

Will you school taxes increase as you property value increases?  Of course, that will happen whether this bond passes of not.  But the rate to retire these bonds will decrease as the property values of the businesses and homes in Nederland increase.

The numbers don’t lie. 

According to Nederland ISD's reckoning, residential comprises less than 50% of Nederland ISD's tax base.

40 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

This is what causes school bond debt service tax rate to increase:

That’s a great article and a point I thought would be lost on most of you. Hazelwood was going back to the voters to increase their tax rate to cover debt service because the value of their tax base had shrunk post-mortgage crisis. 

What NISD is actually saying about the rate dropping after 2020 is that they expect the tax rate to go down after 2020 as the value of tax base increases. 

They’re patting the great unwashed and saying “your tax rate should go down after 2020” and even acknowledging that its only going down because property values will be climbing. But Joe Citizen never reads past the part about the rate dropping after 2020. 

Here’s the deal.  We’ll use $125,000 house example.  They take the value of your house and multiply it by the tax rate.  I’ll skip the discussions of m&o vs i&s.  Let’s assume that they need $330 per year to cover the debt service for the bond from you. That’s your $125k house (less $25k for homestead)=$100k taxable value) at .33 per $100 .... $330 dollars.  NISD still needs their $330 for debt service no matter what.  NISD is assuming (and I agree) that appraised values will be going up. If your taxable value of your jumps by 10% (and again, were assuming the increase is across the board) you should end up with $110k, and the tax rate needed to cover your $330 part of the obligation would drop.  With your new $110k value, the portion of your tax rate needed to satisfy the bond debt would only need to be $.30 instead of $0.33.... but either way you’re still coughing up $330 bucks. And nobody ever goes back and drops the I&S rate, either.  

THE I&S TAX RATE SHOULD GO DOWN, BUT YOUR TAXES WILL NOT. 

They are literally saying outright “we expect your home value to increase in the future, and because of that, the tax rate needed to maintain the status quo would be less” and the morons all cheer “lower taxes!”

14 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

More twisting propaganda. The district is not hiding anything. They are providing projected tax increases directly tied to the bond passing. If the state causes home values to go up your taxes will increase regardless of the bond passing. While that would be an additional increase on your total tax cost it has nothing to do with the bond. Your reasoning is the same as trying tie city and county tax increases or home owners insurance increases to the bond increases. No dispute that all these things would raise your cost but none of them are caused by the bond.

9 minutes ago, mat said:

More twisting propaganda. The district is not hiding anything. They are providing projected tax increases directly tied to the bond passing. If the state causes home values to go up your taxes will increase regardless of the bond passing. While that would be an additional increase on your total tax cost it has nothing to do with the bond. Your reasoning is the same as trying tie city and county tax increases or home owners insurance increases to the bond increases. No dispute that all these things would raise your cost but none of them are caused by the bond.

So while we all agree that ALL of taxes (school, city, county, etc...)are headed up due to state mandated increases to appraised values, it shouldn’t be confused with this proposed 29% bump in NISD taxes due to the bond  issue?

You’re right. They aren’t related. The bump caused by the state pushing for higher property values is unavoidable. The  bond issue can still be stopped. Thanks for pointing that out.

Vote No. 

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

So while we all agree that ALL of taxes (school, city, county, etc...)are headed up due to state mandated increases to appraised values, it shouldn’t be confused with this proposed 29% bump in NISD taxes due to the bond  issue?

You’re right. They aren’t related. The bump caused by the state pushing for higher property values is unavoidable. The  bond issue can still be stopped. Thanks for pointing that out.

Vote No. 

I pointed it out with clarity. And no, it's too soon to say for certain what the state will do until legislation is over. Even then, there's no way to project the true affect just like there's no way to project city or county tax increases. All these non bond related increases are hypothetical at this point.

22 minutes ago, mat said:

I pointed it out with clarity. And no, it's too soon to say for certain what the state will do until legislation is over. Even then, there's no way to project the true affect just like there's no way to project city or county tax increases. All these non bond related increases are hypothetical at this point.

You’re mistaken again, my friend. The fact that the comptroller is currently coming down on CADs has nothing to do with this legislative session. Check local news. Notices of Appraised Values for 2019 are already in the mail. Across the board people are complaining about increased appraised values. They are getting serious about making sure that CAD values are at 95-105% of market values, and penalizing CADs who aren’t in compliance. The big picture view is that the state wants local govs and schools to twist as much out of the locals via property taxes before the state kicks in their funds. Locals have been getting around it by keeping appraised values artificially low. It’s kinda like walking into the tax office and saying you have $500 for a car and just paying sales tax on that amount... now you pay based on the amount the state sets... same thing is occurring with CAD appraised values.

The legislature is talking a lot about property tax reform, but they may or may not (and probably won’t) get anything meaningful done.  

Jefferson County mailed theirs 4/11.... I fully expect to see a report on the news tomorrow evening regarding an average increase of 10% or greater. 

But what do I know?

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You’re mistaken again, my friend. The fact that the comptroller is currently coming down on CADs has nothing to do with this legislative session. Check local news. Notices of Appraised Values for 2019 are already in the mail. Across the board people are complaining about increased appraised values. They are getting serious about making sure that CAD values are at 95-105% of market values, and penalizing CADs who aren’t in compliance. The big picture view is that the state wants local govs and schools to twist as much out of the locals via property taxes before the state kicks in their funds. Locals have been getting around it by keeping appraised values artificially low. It’s kinda like walking into the tax office and saying you have $500 for a car and just paying sales tax on that amount... now you pay based on the amount the state sets... same thing is occurring with CAD appraised values.

The legislature is talking a lot about property tax reform, but they may or may not (and probably won’t) get anything meaningful done.  

Jefferson County mailed theirs 4/11.... I fully expect to see a report on the news tomorrow evening regarding an average increase of 10% or greater. 

But what do I know?

I stand corrected on the direction you were referring to. However, it's still speculation on yours or who else's value actually goes up. Non of which is the cause of the school bond. So in reality, if your property value goes up it will be where it should be and you will be paying what you should have been paying all along? Of course I'm just messing with you.

We had the same scenario in our district years ago. Property value and tax increase statements came out just before our bond election and it was a bond killer. 

I for one want this bond to pass and have been wanting to see new schools and improvements done for years.  Heck, we were already in serious need when I went through school (graduated Nederland '88).  Point being, for everyone wanting to vote YES, minds are made up and all the NO voters complaining are falling upon deaf ears.  I have spoke to a bunch of Nederland residents, and I mean a bunch, and guess what .... voting YES.  Doesn't surprise me at all.  They all know it needs to happen and putting it off will only be more expensive when we are finally forced to do it. Been riding around town and have seen ten times more vote Yes signs in front of houses and businesses then vote No signs...if that is a real reflection of what is going to happen at the poles May 4th then I will be doing the HAPPY DANCE!

24 minutes ago, Michele said:

I for one want this bond to pass and have been wanting to see new schools and improvements done for years.  Heck, we were already in serious need when I went through school (graduated Nederland '88).  Point being, for everyone wanting to vote YES, minds are made up and all the NO voters complaining are falling upon deaf ears.  I have spoke to a bunch of Nederland residents, and I mean a bunch, and guess what .... voting YES.  Doesn't surprise me at all.  They all know it needs to happen and putting it off will only be more expensive when we are finally forced to do it. Been riding around town and have seen ten times more vote Yes signs in front of houses and businesses then vote No signs...if that is a real reflection of what is going to happen at the poles May 4th then I will be doing the HAPPY DANCE!

you remember that time when everybody said hillary was going to win the election but TRUMP won...... lol

On 4/14/2019 at 6:29 AM, navydawg31 said:

Isn’t Sunoco, Lucite, Air Liquide on the NISD tax roll? 

yes,  Nederland is about 50/50 industrial and comercial vs  residential.   Another fallacy that the No crowd wants you to believe.    Also Exxon/Mobil and Chevron have taxable land on the rolls.

23 minutes ago, bigdog said:

yes,  Nederland is about 50/50 industrial and comercial vs  residential.   Another fallacy that the No crowd wants you to believe.    Also Exxon/Mobil and Chevron have taxable land on the rolls.

I was told the Keystone Pipeline has a tax cut right now but it will end and once does the taxes from that alone will do nederland wonders...