Nederland Bond PASSES!!!!

Bigdog

5 hours ago, mat said:

You can not make this claim unless you have personal knowledge of the facilities or have taken one of the tours provided.

Wrong!  I have been through these schools many times.  Don't need a biased guided tour!   Anyway, buildings do not educate students.  Let's build a Taj Mahal so the students can feel good about themselves.  But in reality, mat, a good student will prevail no matter what the building looks like.  I'm making a broader point, but not agreeing our buildings are bad.  How many people are actually leaving Nederland because of the school district?  I say people come to Nederland because of the school district!!  If the bond fails -- the educational excellence in Nederland will still be there!!  Prove to me otherwise!

So Reagan, what do you "project" to be the increase in the "cost of living" in Nederland because of the Bond?

Because any numbers you throw out there will only be a guess. You and nobody, including the best Economist in the world, have an absolute determination as to the impact on the individual. 

You say that the Bond is full of wants, that is your opinion.

Based on every other thriving School District in the WORLD the Bond is full basic educational needs in the 21st Century. 

So you accuse the supporters of lying to the voters, when the negative propaganda you are spewing is chocked full of biased projections that are mere guesses.

40 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

So Reagan, what do you "project" to be the increase in the "cost of living" in Nederland because of the Bond?

Because any numbers you throw out there will only be a guess. You and nobody, including the best Economist in the world, have an absolute determination as to the impact on the individual. 

You say that the Bond is full of wants, that is your opinion.

Based on every other thriving School District in the WORLD the Bond is full basic educational needs in the 21st Century. 

So you accuse the supporters of lying to the voters, when the negative propaganda you are spewing is chocked full of biased projections that are mere guesses.

Although possible, It would be hard for a family to escape a hit to the family budget if this massive $156,000,000 bond passes.  And you are right it will vary.  And since you are apparently unaware of what I'm talking about -- you can only assume, can't say, that a family's budget will not be impacted at all.  All I've ask the pro-bond people to do is to think about what this family budget hit could be.   Silence!  So, I can only presume that one doesn't know or one doesn't want to talk about it.   But, again, closer to the vote I will explain.   Next:   Never said said lying to the voters.  Showing me where I've said lying to the voters.  I'll wait...  Anyway, just not telling the full story.  when one are trying to sell something, one doesn't show the negatives, now do they?  I'm sure even you would concur!  So, you are saying that NISD does not have right now all it needs to be an excellent school district?  I disagree with you in the fact that you think that the students of NISD are so poorly taught that they don't even have the "basic needs!"  Your words!

16 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Although possible, It would be hard for a family to escape a hit to the family budget if this massive $156,000,000 bond passes.  And you are right it will vary.  And since you are apparently unaware of what I'm talking about -- you can only assume, can't say, that a family's budget will not be impacted at all.  All I've ask the pro-bond people to do is to think about what this family budget hit could be.   Silence!  So, I can only presume that one doesn't know or one doesn't want to talk about it.   But, again, closer to the vote I will explain.   Next:   Never said said lying to the voters.  Showing me where I've said lying to the voters.  I'll wait...  Anyway, just not telling the full story.  when one are trying to sell something, one doesn't show the negatives, now do they?  I'm sure even you would concur!  So, you are saying that NISD does not have right now all it needs to be an excellent school district?  I disagree with you in the fact that you think that the students of NISD are so poorly taught that they don't even have the "basic needs!"  Your words!

Nederland students are being short changed in a number of areas, and that is what the Bond is trying to address. This Bond is all about keeping the students competitive in the 21st Century. It is about Progress and expanding on programs that the District is unable to, because of the facilities are stuck in the 1950's. You are obviously basing your opinion on test scores and what you determine as academic achievement. Progressive proponents of the Bond package are basing the need, on being able to compete in the ever changing world of education where students are prepared for the FUTURE. This is not about reading, writing and arithmetic. You are talking about an "adequate" education and the proponents are talking about being the BEST.

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

I have given you the number, 27.50 a month for a house valued at $100k, you just keep ignoring it.   PNG didn't see massive increases in prices around town or businesses closing down because of their bond.   So you can keep trying the scare tactics, Klien.  The kids have the right to have the proper facilities to learn in , no matter what the test scores are.    Shoving classrooms into every available space in poor facilities does not do that.

Don’t know if it’s true are not but, I’ve heard a rumor that PNG is looking to pass another bond to build a new Elementary school. Unlike some Nederland residents, not all, we try to give our kids a competitive advantage with up to date technology. The kids at Nederland deserve this too but some people just don’t care. I know of one school for sure has to keep getting repaired because of leaks when it rains and the AC doesn’t always work properly. Like I said before get the younger crowd out to the poles and get this bond passed. 

50 minutes ago, bigdog said:

I have given you the number, 27.50 a month for a house valued at $100k, you just keep ignoring it.   PNG didn't see massive increases in prices around town or businesses closing down because of their bond.   So you can keep trying the scare tactics, Klien.  The kids have the right to have the proper facilities to learn in , no matter what the test scores are.    Shoving classrooms into every available space in poor facilities does not do that.

Some people just like to keep putting band-aides on massive wounds. That is why Nederland is in the situation they are in right now. 

A series (3) of 40-50 million dollar bonds, spread out over 60 years would have given Nederland a much bigger bang for their buck and they wouldn't be in this situation. But, the people of Nederland are misled by a certain loud group that thinks bonds are bad and have the attitude of "what I had was good enough for our generation, so it should be good enough for the next generation."  Flawed thinking at its finest.

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

There will be some additional costs/burden to some home owners but the tax structure has already been shared. How it affects each household will vary according to their personal finances. If you're interested in sharing facts with others don't forget to mention that there will be no additional cost for those that rent or don't own a home; or that there will be no increase for seniors. 

3 hours ago, bigdog said:

Again -- what you are saying is true.  But, what I'm saying is that there is more it than that that will affect the family budget!  Nobody is ignoring anything.  But, again, not the whole story.  I'll ask, and others, to just think about it!

It is possible for people who rent to see an increase. Landlords are not going to take a loss on their rental property.

I was against the recent WOS bond to update sports fields. Mainly because of low test scores in the district, after we had a bond years ago to update/rebuild all the schools. It's true what has been said here that good students will do good no matter the environment. But what about kids that aren't as bright as their peers. The more technology these students are exposed to the better. This will help them later on in life, whether they become a rocket scientist or a fry cook.

And by the way, even though I didn't vote for the bond. I have no problem with this small increase in taxes. Especially if it ensures young athletes will have safer conditions to showcase their abilities and perhaps earn a college scholarship.

Good luck Nederland

2 hours ago, Razor said:

Folks used to ride horses to get where they went and that worked just fine for the time they were in…some genius invented a car and suddenly things got better and more opportunities presented themselves..what if someone had said "we don't need these expensive automobiles!  horses work just fine"

So, you are equating the NISD's education to being in the dark ages?  Come on, even you don't believe that!  People come here all of the time because they know their kids will get a good education.

1 hour ago, mat said:

There will be some additional costs/burden to some home owners but the tax structure has already been shared. How it affects each household will vary according to their personal finances. If you're interested in sharing facts with others don't forget to mention that there will be no additional cost for those that rent or don't own a home; or that there will be no increase for seniors. 

Thanks for your comments.  You are correct.  But this is not what I'm talking about. 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

So, you are equating the NISD's education to being in the dark ages?  Come on, even you don't believe that!  People come here all of the time because they know their kids will get a good education.

Thanks for your comments.  You are correct.  But this is not what I'm talking about. 

NISD has amazing teachers and educators that care about the kids and their well being... if this bond passes or doesn’t pass they will continue to do the same I hope and teacher these kids well... but it’s hard to teach when my 3rd grader has a leaking roof in his classroom and has to go to the cafeteria on a hard rain. Or my 5th grader in a classroom of 33 students to 1 educator and sitting at a round table. That’s not right, something needs to be done. 

9 hours ago, Coach85 said:

Don’t know if it’s true are not but, I’ve heard a rumor that PNG is looking to pass another bond to build a new Elementary school. Unlike some Nederland residents, not all, we try to give our kids a competitive advantage with up to date technology. The kids at Nederland deserve this too but some people just don’t care. I know of one school for sure has to keep getting repaired because of leaks when it rains and the AC doesn’t always work properly. Like I said before get the younger crowd out to the poles and get this bond passed. 

Coach you can rest assured if the PNGISD tells the community they are in need the community will provide. Period. This has been proven time and time again.  I can guarantee that if a bond is requested it will be passed. Usually easily passed.

6 hours ago, Reagan said:

I absolutely am equating Nederland’s facilities to those of the dark ages...I appreciate you telling me what I believe, but in this case you are incorrect...leave the area and look around...what we have is substandard and I won’t apologize for wanting better...you have your opinion and I have mine...they happen to differ dramatically in this case

7 minutes ago, Razor said:

I absolutely am equating Nederland’s facilities to those of the dark ages...I appreciate you telling me what I believe, but in this case you are incorrect...leave the area and look around...what we have is substandard and I won’t apologize for wanting better...you have your opinion and I have mine...they happen to differ dramatically in this case

Absolutely!  And that's OK.  A one sided debate is like a train with square wheels -- gets nowhere fast!    :)

7 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

You missed the point. A spade or a dumb*ss neither one is an ethnic group, but Cajun is, and a coonass is a derogatory term referring to a Cajun. Since the poster said he calls it like it is, I wondered what other derogatory terms he might use to describe other ethnic groups. All this aside, I hope Nederland gets everything it is asking for in the bond issue.