Nederland Bond PASSES!!!!

Bigdog

2 hours ago, Coach85 said:

I’ll be shocked if this bond passes with the athletic upgrades in. Nederland needs new schools bad and they haven’t passed a bond yet for new schools with upgrades to the athletic facilities.

Schools are on the bond.  New High School and upgrades to the rest of the schools including security and technology.  The stadium will be a separate proposition from the schools.

All sports and extra-cirriculars that use the high school stadium.  Football, boys and girls soccer, the band will have a dry place to march after our monsoons, same with Westernaires, twirlers, flags...etc.  The boys and girls basketball gyms have had money put in them, along with the baseball and softball fields.  In a previous bond, NISD built a first class Performing Arts Center at the high school for choir/band/theater... it's time to upgrade the football stadium if any money is going to be spent above the schools that are priority.

2 hours ago, fox said:

just football upgrades or all sports?  

The upgrades are to the stadium, but as previously stated,  other groups will benefit as well.  I am guessing a new high school will include new gyms and facilities for locker rooms, etc.

Full list of the bond proposal:

This is the hidden content, please

After extensive discussion at the February CAC meeting, the committee made the following recommendations to Nederland ISD which was accepted at this week's meeting.

New High School ($82.7M)
Includes but not limited to the following:
     *Built at same location
     *Focus on advancing CTE program needs
     *Designed learning environment based upon program 
      capacity and modern teaching practices to strengthen 
      and expand the academic experience
     *Performing Arts Center will remain in current location

Elementary School New Learning Areas and Improvements ($49.1M)
     *Additional classrooms including flexible learning & 
      teaching spaces
     *5th grade expansion
     *Improved drop off/pick-up and parking
     *Additional & improved restrooms
     *Expanded and improved cafeteria & gym
     *Additional program space for occupational and 
      physical therapy

Middle School Improvements ($11.1M)
     *Improved classrooms including flexible learning & 
      teaching spaces
     *Improved drop off/pick-up and parking
     *Additional & improved restrooms

Technology Initiative ($4.8M)
     *Fiber optics
     *Infrastructure
     *1:1 devices

Safety & Security ($3.4M)
     *District wide improvements limiting physical access to 
      campuses
     *Additional cameras
     *Safety vestibules

Stadium Upgrades ($4.5M) - SEPARATE PROPOSITION
     *Field turf
     *Improved restrooms
     *Improved press-box 
     *Modified seating
     *ADA required updates

Should bond money become available for improvements other than the listed projects, the committee would like the district to consider additional improvements to Bulldog Stadium. To include: field house/dressing rooms and concession stands.

6 hours ago, NDOMAKONG said:

All sports and extra-cirriculars that use the high school stadium.  Football, boys and girls soccer, the band will have a dry place to march after our monsoons, same with Westernaires, twirlers, flags...etc.  The boys and girls basketball gyms have had money put in them, along with the baseball and softball fields.  In a previous bond, NISD built a first class Performing Arts Center at the high school for choir/band/theater... it's time to upgrade the football stadium if any money is going to be spent above the schools that are 

Not all fields you mentioned have had any upgrades at all.

13 minutes ago, 3n2 said:

Not all fields you mentioned have had any upgrades at all.

Yes, the softball fields have had upgrades.   There have been additional stands, a scoreboard and batting cages put in.   I agree that it needs some additional work too. It definitely looks different from when i was there because there wasn't a field there at all!

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

WO-C SISD tried that a few years ago.  School bond passed....stadium bond failed.

There is that danger.  But the board didn’t want to possibly jeopardize the school upgrades if people were opposed to stadium upgrades.

7 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

So if Nederland follows WO-S' lead. Y'all will have a turf field in about 4-5 years.

I mean I can't blame them, it is pretty much a consensus that they schools need upgrading (rebuilding).

But seeing how this workout in Orange, I don't see it working.

Part of the reason why they are going about this route is 2 different reasons... reason number 1 when they have had the stadium upgrades and such in with a big bond certain people in community have tried and poison peoples minds by saying this is a “athletic bond” blah blah blah and scare tactic people on not letting the bonds pass. Reason number 2 they are focusing on what the feed back they were getting during the survey, board meetings, and etc everyone said schools are important they come first let’s upgrade and update schools first before we do athletics.... I wish they would have left it in with the fear of stadium bond not passing, but I believe the right people are on the board now and the community wants this as well, this bond is a lot more organized then years past... I mean thirds time a charm right? 

I agree with their approach. If the education bond passes and the athletic bond fails it will allow the district to focus more local funds on athletics because their education needs are getting met. It would be disappointing to have a community pass 150 million or so and reject 4.5 simply because its athletic related.That's a community that really has a problem with athletics.

However, they run the risk of a failed education bond and a passed athletic bond because it will have little to no affect on the tax payer.