Sabine Pass is looking for games

Bearkat93

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 1:35 PM, Wise Guy said:

I would imagine it quite difficult to schedule games when the previous season was canceled 

Even more difficult when the list of schools that one would actually play is so small.  They aren't looking for games... more like hoping one of the area's small schools has an opening.  Or that a local 3A/4A school has a sub varsity group that'll play. 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, rebelcat said:

There are no schools in the area Smaller than Evadale, Grapeland, Lovelady, West Hardin & Burkeville, unless you go 1-A (six man).

All have openings on 10/5, 10/11, 10/18, 10/25 & 11/01 because a certain team is not honoring its district schedule.

That's Sabine Pass's district and those games are automatically on the schedule as long as SP fields a team.  I'm sure they're looking for preseason games... as the ones they had previously either bailed or found someone else to play.  Or both.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:58 PM, rebelcat said:

I wish it was true that Sabine Pass was honoring their District schedule but sadly it's not.  They are not planning to play any of their District opponents for the 2019 season. If you look at the initial post, those dates are the district games.

So they are forfeiting the season??

20 minutes ago, bigdog said:

So they are forfeiting the season??

I don't know if forfeiting is the most accurate way to put that.  I think that they have advised the remainder of District 12-2A-II that they are not participating in district play at all.

12 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I don't know if forfeiting is the most accurate way to put that.  I think that they have advised the remainder of District 12-2A-II that they are not participating in district play at all.

Ok, can they do that and still play non-district?  Would they technically not be part of UIL in that case?  Just trying to understand how the rules would work in that situation.

7 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Ok, can they do that and still play non-district?  Would they technically not be part of UIL in that case?  Just trying to understand how the rules would work in that situation.

As long as they pay their UIL dues, they are still part of the UIL....although the UIL does take a very dim view of schools who do complete a Varsity district schedule in a sport that they have committed to play.  They can play non-district although it probably will be VERY tough to get a schedule of more than a few games put together as they will have to pull off getting 5 varsity teams who 1) have less than 9 games on their current schedule AND 2) don't have a district game that particular week.  So you will probably see Sabine Pass with a number of JV teams on their schedule in the latter part of the season.

Of course, what has rankled the other teams in 12-2A-II (excepting, probably, Burkeville) is that they will have to find another game to fill their schedule by finding teams that 1) have less than 9 games on their current schedule AND 2) don't have a district game that particular week, as well.

16 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

As long as they pay their UIL dues, they are still part of the UIL....although the UIL does take a very dim view of schools who do complete a Varsity district schedule in a sport that they have committed to play.  They can play non-district although it probably will be VERY tough to get a schedule of more than a few games put together as they will have to pull off getting 5 varsity teams who 1) have less than 9 games on their current schedule AND 2) don't have a district game that particular week.  So you will probably see Sabine Pass with a number of JV teams on their schedule in the latter part of the season.

Of course, what has rankled the other teams in 12-2A-II (excepting, probably, Burkeville) is that they will have to find another game to fill their schedule by finding teams that 1) have less than 9 games on their current schedule AND 2) don't have a district game that particular week, as well.

Got it.  Sounds like a tough road for all the teams in that district.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:43 AM, oldschool2 said:

Maybe they should just cancel football altogether.  I've actually suggested that before...of course, it didn't go over well. 

Not sure what the enrollment is at SP, but it’s a shame they can’t field a team.  To bad they can’t play 6 man.  No doubt there’s a handful of kids who’d like to play.  But if that’s not an option, maybe they should consider dropping out.  Dallardsville Big Sandy doesn’t have football.

30 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Not sure what the enrollment is at SP, but it’s a shame they can’t field a team.  To bad they can’t play 6 man.  No doubt there’s a handful of kids who’d like to play.  But if that’s not an option, maybe they should consider dropping out.  Dallardsville Big Sandy doesn’t have football.

Sabine Pass' enrollment, believe it or not, is too big for the Sharks to play 6 man.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:43 AM, oldschool2 said:

Maybe they should just cancel football altogether.  I've actually suggested that before...of course, it didn't go over well. 

I would suggest a variant of your suggestion, that is for SP to opt out of football as a UIL district participant (thereby not being assigned to a district) but rather compete as a UIL independent. They did this from 1998-2005,

On 4/6/2019 at 9:55 PM, WOSgrad said:

I would suggest a variant of your suggestion, that is for SP to opt out of football as a UIL district participant (thereby not being assigned to a district) but rather compete as a UIL independent. They did this from 1998-2005,

hmmm, didn't know that was an option.

2 hours ago, bigdog said:

hmmm, didn't know that was an option.

It shouldn't be an option.  Any school that fails to honor the district schedule given to them by UIL should have no choice but to do this ^.

From what I have heard, this is exactly what they are doing next year.