JERRY PRIETO NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT CROSBY

dillonpanthers

Well, act one of the train wreck that started with the old supt. resigning and ending with Crosby missing the playoff for the first time in a decade and a half is finally over. Not really excited about the new coaching hire and not sure Crosby will even be a .500 team next year. They'll have the talent to win every game on the roster like they did last year if healthy but other than someone new in charge none of the circumstances surrounding the program have improved. The new supt. changed the hiring rules to exclude some candidates the community wanted and install a puppet. No up and coming coach from outside the community would take this job with the financial situation as it is and his inability to properly staff the program.

I don't think we're scrapping the barrel for who we can find to take the job but I don't think hiring Coach Prieto was far from it. He averaged 44 points a game against mostly trash in an area where even though the teams in our district aren't very strong would still manage to do the same. He benefited from working at a start-up school who pulled enrollment from others in the district weakening them much like Shadow Creek did to Manvel, when he was at Cy-Springs it was clear he was in over his head and had his offenses mauled weekly. He resurrected his viability against a bunch of kids named Soto, Gonzalez and Hernandez and the new supt. fell for it. Don't be surprised if Crosby goes back to the days that if the team has a pool party at your house then your kids gets to start, deserving or not.

Crosby's only real hope for the foreseeable future is that the area is rapidly growing and they have some special kids in the lower grades about to come through the program. Lot less enthusiasm about the program from the community in general but the kids still seem to be invested which is encouraging. Still have solid transfers coming in from the surrounding area which is another positive. With the right coach I still think Crosby could play with and beat elite teams like Manvel but I don't see how we attain one of those any time soon?  

From an X's and O's standpoint expect Crosby's new offense to look like what Dayton ran under Hancock and what New Caney is currently running under Pennington so at least there shouldn't be much of a transition for the offensive kids, no clue on the defense.

From a community pride standpoint I would really like to give the new staff a chance, from the standpoint of giving my other sons their best opportunity, moving 15 mins down the road to North Shore seems awful enticing now.  

I would also like to give a HUGE thanks to Jeff Riordan elevating Crosby's status in the THSFB landscape!!! Surprised he even finished out the season with the supt. situation as it was. Guy was really about Crosby, I now for a fact he turned down a job that would've paid him clos to what Gary Joseph is making at Katy to come back to what turned out to be a hell hole. Salute Coach Rio.

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Well, act one of the train wreck that started with the old supt. resigning and ending with Crosby missing the playoff for the first time in a decade and a half is finally over. Not really excited about the new coaching hire and not sure Crosby will even be a .500 team next year. They'll have the talent to win every game on the roster like they did last year if healthy but other than someone new in charge none of the circumstances surrounding the program have improved. The new supt. changed the hiring rules to exclude some candidates the community wanted and install a puppet. No up and coming coach from outside the community would take this job with the financial situation as it is and his inability to properly staff the program.

I don't think we're scrapping the barrel for who we can find to take the job but I don't think hiring Coach Prieto was far from it. He averaged 44 points a game against mostly trash in an area where even though the teams in our district aren't very strong would still manage to do the same. He benefited from working at a start-up school who pulled enrollment from others in the district weakening them much like Shadow Creek did to Manvel, when he was at Cy-Springs it was clear he was in over his head and had his offenses mauled weekly. He resurrected his viability against a bunch of kids named Soto, Gonzalez and Hernandez and the new supt. fell for it. Don't be surprised if Crosby goes back to the days that if the team has a pool party at your house then your kids gets to start, deserving or not.

Crosby's only real hope for the foreseeable future is that the area is rapidly growing and they have some special kids in the lower grades about to come through the program. Lot less enthusiasm about the program from the community in general but the kids still seem to be invested which is encouraging. Still have solid transfers coming in from the surrounding area which is another positive. With the right coach I still think Crosby could play with and beat elite teams like Manvel but I don't see how we attain one of those any time soon?  

From an X's and O's standpoint expect Crosby's new offense to look like what Dayton ran under Hancock and what New Caney is currently running under Pennington so at least there shouldn't be much of a transition for the offensive kids, no clue on the defense.

From a community pride standpoint I would really like to give the new staff a chance, from the standpoint of giving my other sons their best opportunity, moving 15 mins down the road to North Shore seems awful enticing now.  

The man has not even steeped on Campus and made one executive decision yet and your down talking the man and the program he is going to install... you want to know how good programs become great.. with community support...

If you are mad at the Supt. then you need to reevaluate. He was not the one that put Crosby in a financial crisis.. check your board members that YOU elected .(nothing can be passed without them) and your previous Supt. The backyard swimming parties are the reason why Crosby is in the situation they are in now!!!(Those that know the real deal that is going down in Crosby know what I'm talking about) The new Supt. was hired to correct the problems that were already in effect so the STATE DID NOT TAKE OVER... do you know how bad that has to be??...(SEE NORTH FOREST).. yea, your on that level financially. 

If you are blaming the Supt. for " changed the hiring rules to exclude some candidates the community wanted" then you are blaming the wrong guy.  Any coach who is serious about being a head football coach/AD, especially at the 5A or 6A level, needs to have his masters. So blame those coaches for not taking the proper steps to help success in the hiring process....

Another reason for ANY assistants not getting the job has to do with the reactions of Coach Rio to the situation.. the Supt., when faced with trying to correct the problems, hired a OUTSIDE COMPANY to help so there was no bias when having to cut positions. The new Supt. went to Rio like a man to tell him about the layoffs and RIo went off on him instead of being understanding and then letting him know that he would be looking for other positions.... the guy is just doing his job. Because of RIo's  actions,  I'm sure he would not trust or consider any of his staff for the position because how loyal they are to him...(One of the main reasons why the DC & OC gets fired when a new head coach come in).

And by the way, when Rio came in and brought his staff, he told his guys that Crosby was just a stepping stone and he would only be here for 3 years. the talent and SUPPORT changed his mind. He was offered another job at a really nice 6A, however "Crosby made me an offer that I could not turn down"

My suggestion during this time is to be understanding and give as much support you can and give Coach Prieto a chance. Crosby will continue to have success as long as the community supports it. 

First off, I couldn't care less what your suggestion is. Secondly, I don't need you to articulate to me how good programs become great. Thirdly, if you think you need a graduate degree to coach at a bigger school you're sadly mistaken. More times than not fast rising coaches aren't going to initially have graduate degrees because they don't need them for the promotions they're in line for.

Community support is something people on this board talk about for a program to be good. You ever seen FB Marshall play? They show up with more kids in the band than people in the stands and bust that ass. You need some athletes and a competent coach, see Reginald Samples Duncanville team from last year and what Claude Mathis did to Nederland with Marshall's athletes. Rio was making around $123k at Crosby, Deer Park offered around $140k. You're drastically overstating the offer he couldn't turn down, I've seen a text message from him and that's all I'll say here.

If you think the parties just started you obviously don't know anything about the program, we were doing that kind of stuff in the 90's under Coach Dickey. Those have absolutely 0 to do with school funding, that straight out of parent's pockets. How does that correlate to the current financial situation, again you seem not to know what you're talking about?

Rio had an issue because the supt. was walking up and down the sideline trying to have input on football decisions, any coach is going to have an issue with that. Beyond that he was trying to make decisions that should be specifically left to a head football coach.

UT put together a search committee and ended up hiring Charlie Strong. I don't care how unbiased your intentions are, if better coaches with better track records are excluded because of criteria put in place by a single person then you end up with a narrow pool of candidates and eventually somebody like Jerry Prieto. He had a big time OC job with numerous D1 athletes and got destroyed. Crosby's headline literally only listed his last two years of work because going any further back starts to get sketchy. He's an old guy that nobody else thought highly enough of to give a head coaching job at this point in his career, but since he has a graduate degree and is willing to take what's going to be lower tier pay for the Houston metro he got he job. There are plenty of Rio's I'm sure applied and we end up with Jeff Nations? I'll tell you this, there are a lot better things to do around this area on Friday night than fill the stands for a mediocre team. He wants community support he better win games immediately or he won't have any and start losing kid's interest. It's probably all a moot point though, Crosby can go 3-7 the next two years and the new supt. will be fine with it.

Riordan really got the word out about his disdain for the new supt and the kool aid drinkers fell for it....the supt making football decisions on the sidelines?  Thats funny.  Already threatening to go to Northshore?  What if folks had said this when the former coach(who was only OC as well) was hired?  The former coach inherited a very strong program....all of the posters on this forum could have won with the talent that guy had.  The community came together and that was HUGE- but now all the community wants to do is talk about CODE RED leaving....boo freaking hoo.  Support the new guy as you did the old guy.  Give him a chance, but quit trying to threaten leaving and already saying they will go 0-10

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

First off, I couldn't care less what your suggestion is. Secondly, I don't need you to articulate to me how good programs become great. Thirdly, if you think you need a graduate degree to coach at a bigger school you're sadly mistaken. More times than not fast rising coaches aren't going to initially have graduate degrees because they don't need them for the promotions they're in line for.

Community support is something people on this board talk about for a program to be good. You ever seen FB Marshall play? They show up with more kids in the band than people in the stands and bust that ass. You need some athletes and a competent coach, see Reginald Samples Duncanville team from last year and what Claude Mathis did to Nederland with Marshall's athletes. Rio was making around $123k at Crosby, Deer Park offered around $140k. You're drastically overstating the offer he couldn't turn down, I've seen a text message from him and that's all I'll say here.

If you think the parties just started you obviously don't know anything about the program, we were doing that kind of stuff in the 90's under Coach Dickey. Those have absolutely 0 to do with school funding, that straight out of parent's pockets. How does that correlate to the current financial situation, again you seem not to know what you're talking about?

Rio had an issue because the supt. was walking up and down the sideline trying to have input on football decisions, any coach is going to have an issue with that. Beyond that he was trying to make decisions that should be specifically left to a head football coach.

UT put together a search committee and ended up hiring Charlie Strong. I don't care how unbiased your intentions are, if better coaches with better track records are excluded because of criteria put in place by a single person then you end up with a narrow pool of candidates and eventually somebody like Jerry Prieto. He had a big time OC job with numerous D1 athletes and got destroyed. Crosby's headline literally only listed his last two years of work because going any further back starts to get sketchy. He's an old guy that nobody else thought highly enough of to give a head coaching job at this point in his career, but since he has a graduate degree and is willing to take what's going to be lower tier pay for the Houston metro he got he job. There are plenty of Rio's I'm sure applied and we end up with Jeff Nations? I'll tell you this, there are a lot better things to do around this area on Friday night than fill the stands for a mediocre team. He wants community support he better win games immediately or he won't have any and start losing kid's interest. It's probably all a moot point though, Crosby can go 3-7 the next two years and the new supt. will be fine with it.

Your right. I know nothing about how the educational system works.. I’ve only been a coach for over a decade with a state championship ring and been a state finalist. 

1. I know you could care less what I think because you are a band wagon guy.

2. Community support is a big part of any successful program. Athletes help to. You don’t have to show up to the game to show your support. I know several coaches at Marshal and they tell me that the community fully supports them. They don’t have band wagon guys talking crap on their program especially on a public forum. 

3. Your right about having a masters is not required however is a BIG HELP, every coach I know that has serious intentions of being a AD/Head football coach has one or is in the process of getting one. Almost every head coach I know has one.  An AD is a admission position. That usually requires a masters in education and passing a State Mandated Test!

4. In my last post anything in “ “ is a direct quote from Rio to me personally. So look up and read again..  I know the man well, talk and text with, and respect the man. He has done great things for Crosby but also has some faults like all of us. I worked for him as well.

5. I lived in Crosby of 4 years. The parties I am referring to are special kind of ...... well I just leave that issue alone.. could cause a lot of controversy.. let just say the actions are against my moral fiber.

6. The Supt. Actions are a direct reflection of a conversation between Rio and him. No Supt wants his teams to lose!! It creates problems with disapline, moral fiber, leadership, sprit, and confidence, by players and the student body... so your analysis if him wanting his teams to lose if FALSE.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:30 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

whats the new supt's neam?

On 4/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Come to GCM. We need a few move ins. 

It seems like Crosby will be pretty much starting completely over with coaches.  Just saw where they let another really good one get away from them as Coach Freeman is moving on to be Asst. Head Football coach of CE King. This guy graduated from Crosby High and has coached here for 9 years. For him to decide to leave his home town it had to be hard. It also reiterates how bad the situation is between the administration, school board, and the teachers and coaches. Again, I think the school board and previous administration should be held accountable for all their actions. Even the ones that didn’t vote for the excessive spending going on were present and watched the situation unfold. I would love to see them all prosecuted. Coach Freeman has been a staple in the community and school district. I wish him well and good luck. 

Well, today with the loss of Coach Freeman Crosby's football program has officially reached joke status. Don't be surprised if you start to see some of the better athletes move away or just decide not to play for a puppet and .500 records start to be the norm. The previous ties Coach Prieto had with the supt. far outweighed his actual ability to coach which is why he got the job, that and his willingness to probably be the lowest paid coach in the district. Of course no supt. wants to lose but after Crosby goes 3-7 next year absolutely nothing will change because the excuse he'll have is that we can't afford to hire anybody, not that, "I came from a little backwoods town where I thought Joel Hancock would be a good hire so trust me on this one." The record will be better in 2020 because he'll schedule the same type trash he used to play in Corpus so that him and the supt will have improvement they can point to to tamp down the restlessness on the community. Look for Galena Park type schools to be on the schedule. Crosby's football program will effectively be a non-factor while the current supt. is in place and especially putrid while Coach Prieto is here, probably to the point where the season we missed the playoffs for the first time in 15 years is the highlight. Only hope for the foreseeable future is that Crosby can out-talent enough people to finish in fourth. I would be remised if I didn't point out that Crosby fired Kevin Flannigan with about a .700 record over his last 7 years with the team and 7 consecutive playoff appearances. With the trajectory Crosby is on and the yahoo we just hired look for us to digress to HISD level bad in everything except baseball and maybe girls softball.

P.S. - I thought it was interesting from an impact standpoint which Rio left that one of the first things kids mentioned about the new coach is that they don't pray in the team huddle anymore.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Well, today with the loss of Coach Freeman Crosby's football program has officially reached joke status. Don't be surprised if you start to see some of the better athletes move away or just decide not to play for a puppet and .500 records start to be the norm. The previous ties Coach Prieto had with the supt. far outweighed his actual ability to coach which is why he got the job, that and his willingness to probably be the lowest paid coach in the district. Of course no supt. wants to lose but after Crosby goes 3-7 next year absolutely nothing will change because the excuse he'll have is that we can't afford to hire anybody, not that, "I came from a little backwoods town where I thought Joel Hancock would be a good hire so trust me on this one." The record will be better in 2020 because he'll schedule the same type trash he used to play in Corpus so that him and the supt will have improvement they can point to to tamp down the restlessness on the community. Look for Galena Park type schools to be on the schedule. Crosby's football program will effectively be a non-factor while the current supt. is in place and especially putrid while Coach Prieto is here, probably to the point where the season we missed the playoffs for the first time in 15 years is the highlight. Only hope for the foreseeable future is that Crosby can out-talent enough people to finish in fourth. I would be remised if I didn't point out that Crosby fired Kevin Flannigan with about a .700 record over his last 7 years with the team and 7 consecutive playoff appearances. With the trajectory Crosby is on and the yahoo we just hired look for us to digress to HISD level bad in everything except baseball and maybe girls softball.

P.S. - I thought it was interesting from an impact standpoint which Rio left that one of the first things kids mentioned about the new coach is that they don't pray in the team huddle anymore.

You might need to edit this and say bad at everything except girls softball. The baseball team is already bad and going to miss the playoffs again. 

I think I speak for the entire community from "Across the tracks" when I say we think the hiring of Jerry Prieto was some good ol boy home cooking and had nothing to do with what's best for the football program. However we hope for the best. We also think/know that the selection coming down to Prieto and the coach from Foster was just a ploy to make us feel better....It didn't work. We know that the fix was in from the beginning.  

In the case of Riordan, the attention that he brought to the program was way more valued than his abilities as a coach. Kids getting offers left and right was a blessing. 

• 2 weeks later...

With the coach Crosby has hired there's absolutely no reason to think that they should finish better than 3-7 next year, but I'll tell you what? If this qb transfer gets signed off on we might look like we did the first four games of the season before Howard tore his ACL on Vidor's raggedy arse field last year. The way things have been going lately he probably won't though, meaning we'll be throttled by New Caney at home to open the season and all 500 Crosby fans that go to the next home game against Vidor including the "give him a chance people" will be expressing their angst for Coach Prieto early and often. So much to look forward to . . .

On the flip side, watch what Coach Freeman goes over to CE King and does with their offense. He'll be coaching in the premier facility in East Harris County and has an explosion of athletes heading his way, leaving Crosby was a blessing in disguise as we turn into west-Dayton.   

28 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

With the coach Crosby has hired there's absolutely no reason to think that they should finish better than 3-7 next year, but I'll tell you what? If this qb transfer gets signed off on we might look like we did the first four games of the season before Howard tore his ACL on Vidor's raggedy arse field last year. The way things have been going lately he probably won't though, meaning we'll be throttled by New Caney at home to open the season and all 500 Crosby fans that go to the next home game against Vidor including the "give him a chance people" will be expressing their angst for Coach Prieto early and often. So much to look forward to . . .

On the flip side, watch what Coach Freeman goes over to CE King and does with their offense. He'll be coaching in the premier facility in East Harris County and has an explosion of athletes heading his way, leaving Crosby was a blessing in disguise as we turn into west-Dayton.   

And the Mecca crumbles to the ground