JERRY PRIETO NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT CROSBY

dillonpanthers

On 2/12/2019 at 1:08 PM, 2wedge said:

You underestimate the value of Rio. He was the glue. It starts going downhill today, the athletes start moving to Dayton or Huffman, and Crosby settles in as a 5 or 6 win a year type of team. 

I love Rio. however I think you overestimate his value. Crosby has been successful since 2006! they made the playoffs in 2006-17. Last year was the first time they missed in a decade with 2 Area appearances(2010, 2011) and 1 Regional Final (2009) under Flanigan. They were successful before he got there. One year Rio did take a team to the Simi-Final. Rio is a great man and has made MANY improvement to the program however I believe Crosby will be fine. The community has some of the best support I have ever seen. Who ever takes this job does have to work within the guidelines of new Administration however it is a great job for someone! 

5 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

I love Rio. however I think you overestimate his value. Crosby has been successful since 2006! they made the playoffs in 2006-17. Last year was the first time they missed in a decade with 2 Area appearances(2010, 2011) and 1 Regional Final (2009) under Flanigan. They were successful before he got there. One year Rio did take a team to the Simi-Final. Rio is a great man and has made MANY improvement to the program however I believe Crosby will be fine. Who ever takes this job does have to work within the guidelines of new Administration however it is a great job for someone! 

If you can’t see his value, then you’re part of the problem 

9 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

If you can’t see his value, then you’re part of the problem 

Did not say he did not have value. He has done great things there. I know him very well and respect his decisions. But to say he is the ONLY reason why they have had success is false. They were successful before he got there. Its funny that the exact things were said when they let go of Kevin Flanigan. 

1 hour ago, hitman009 said:

Did not say he did not have value. He has done great things there. I know him very well and respect his decisions. But to say he is the ONLY reason why they have had success is false. They were successful before he got there. Its funny that the exact things were said when they let go of Kevin Flanigan. 

Yeah, but at that time, Crosby was full of potential and lacking in expectation. Rio led the charge on the facilities upgrade, the culture change, and the many many kids who have gone on to play at the next level. Now, you are looking for someone to come in and keep that culture and expectation high and no one will be able to deliver like Rio did. Add that to the financial difficulties which will make this a mediocre paying gig........it's going to be bad.

When Rio goes, so does code red. All of that tradition goes out the door with him.

9 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Yeah, but at that time, Crosby was full of potential and lacking in expectation. Rio led the charge on the facilities upgrade, the culture change, and the many many kids who have gone on to play at the next level. Now, you are looking for someone to come in and keep that culture and expectation high and no one will be able to deliver like Rio did. Add that to the financial difficulties which will make this a mediocre paying gig........it's going to be bad.

When Rio goes, so does code red. All of that tradition goes out the door with him.

I’m hoping they don’t bring a new guy in. I hope Coach Freeman applies for the job. He’s been on Rio’s staff from the beginning and helped bring a lot of those winning teams up when he began at the Junior High level. He has currently been the Varsity RB coach and has developed a lot of talent at that position. 

2 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Let me clue you in on some of your information. The upgrade of facilities had already started. The funding for the score board was already in the works with Flanigan. There was always a charge to upgrade facilities! There was a vote on a bond to upgrade facilities which was shot down by the community. So administration (Dr. Moore) proposed a new school with renovations in the bond. THE COMMUNITY PASSED IT; barley in fact. 

Now every coach wants to change the culture to his own staple; hence Code Red, (which is Code Blue at Sulphur Springs).  All coaches work on kids to buy into their program. However, in this case Rio did not take over a dying program and turn it around.  It was already successful; so easier buy in for the kids.

And your right. When Rio goes so does code red. Just like every school that is losing their AD; they lose what the program was pushing. Change is coming but it does not necessarily mean that it is bad.  Crosby had a winning tradition before he got there. Understand before Rio got the job, there was a line of community members at the board meeting trying to keep Flanigan. So again, change is not always bad. It is sad to see how the ethics of a few can change a school atmosphere however this is a good job for someone. Crosby is a great community that shows it support for their own. They have athletes that love to buy in.

I wish Coach Rio nothing but the best and hopefully he can make an impact at Chapel Hill. 

10 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

Let me clue you in on some of your information. The upgrade of facilities had already started. The funding for the score board was already in the works with Flanigan. There was always a charge to upgrade facilities! There was a vote on a bond to upgrade facilities which was shot down by the community. So administration (Dr. Moore) proposed a new school with renovations in the bond. THE COMMUNITY PASSED IT; barley in fact. 

Now every coach wants to change the culture to his own staple; hence Code Red, (which is Code Blue at Sulphur Springs).  All coaches work on kids to buy into their program. However, in this case Rio did not take over a dying program and turn it around.  It was already successful; so easier buy in for the kids.

And your right. When Rio goes so does code red. Just like every school that is losing their AD they lose what the program under Rio was pushing. Change is coming but it does not necessarily mean that it is bad.  Crosby had a winning tradition before he got there. Understand before Rio got the job, there was a line of community members at the board meeting trying to keep Flanigan. So again, change is not always bad. It is sad to see how the ethics of a few can change a school atmosphere however this is a good job for someone. Crosby is a great community that shows it support for their own. They have athletes that love to buy in.

I wish Coach Rio nothing but the best and hopefully he can make an impact at Chapel Hill. 

Your not going to be able to explain anything to 2wedge. He stated in another thread he was “calling BS on Rio going to Chapel Hill”, even though it’s clear he is by the timing and what he has actually told some. 2wedge already knows everything about Crosby, or so he thinks he does. 

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

Thanks. These guys remember the line of people supporting Flannigan but do not remember the wave of folks who were dying to get him out. No one was dying to get Rio out.

a wave to get him out???... where were they at the board meetings?? Nope!! The small minority that wanted him out could not understand why he could not get kids scholarships with GPA of 1.9 or lower, could not pass TAKS, had multiple wright ups in school, posting drug use on social media and having criminal records... yea colleges are dying to get those kids... SMH!!

by the way... last 4 years of each program playoff appearances:

Rio -5

Flannigan -7

Flannigan had to rebuild Crosby back to a winning tradition with less talent. When Rio started his program he inherited a program that had 7 playoff appearances in 4 years,  a D1 QB, D1 RB going to Rice(Walters twins), a WR going to UTAH(Singleton), a Tackle going to UH(Murphy), a center going to Lamar(Bridgeman), not to mention how many signed to next level? was it like 13 on that team. Some might say he under achieved with this talent and not getting past 2nd round. Some would also say he over achieved the following year with a young team going to the simi-final round. 

Again for the last time, Rio has done a great job at Crosby and will be missed. He is a good man who puts his faith in God and lives by the Book. I can't say enough great things about him. But to say it is all down hill, this job is a death trap to any coach coming in, and Rio is like Urban Meyer and no one could replace him is false. 

24 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

a wave to get him out???... where were they at the board meetings?? Nope!! The small minority that wanted him out could not understand why he could not get kids scholarships with GPA of 1.9 or lower, could not pass TAKS, had multiple wright ups in school, posting drug use on social media and having criminal records... yea colleges are dying to get those kids... SMH!!

by the way... last 4 years of each program playoff appearances:

Rio -5

Flannigan -7

Flannigan had to rebuild Crosby back to a winning tradition with less talent. When Rio started his program he inherited a program that had 7 playoff appearances in 4 years,  a D1 QB, D1 RB going to Rice(Walters twins), a WR going to UTAH(Singleton), a Tackle going to UH(Murphy), a center going to Lamar(Bridgeman), not to mention how many signed to next level? was it like 13 on that team. Some might say he under achieved with this talent and not getting past 2nd round. Some would also say he over achieved the following year with a young team going to the simi-final round. 

Again for the last time, Rio has done a great job at Crosby and will be missed. He is a good man who puts his faith in God and lives by the Book. I can't say enough great things about him. But to say it is all down hill, this job is a death trap to any coach coming in, and Rio is like Urban Meyer and no one could replace him is false. 

Agree to disagree. We will continue this conversation after we see what type of candidates Crosby gets and who they hire.

7 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Trying to tell them, but apparently there was no big difference.

There’s certain people on this board that think coaches don’t make a difference it’s all about the kids talent. Now I do believe talent pays a roll how far you go into the playoffs. Crosby was playing competitive football with Rio. Before him they were Dayton’s little brother. Coach Stewart left Dayton and your starting to see a drop off. Hopefully Crosby can find someone to keep it going. 

3 hours ago, LC-M said:

There’s certain people on this board that think coaches don’t make a difference it’s all about the kids talent. Now I do believe talent pays a roll how far you go into the playoffs. Crosby was playing competitive football with Rio. Before him they were Dayton’s little brother. Coach Stewart left Dayton and your starting to see a drop off. Hopefully Crosby can find someone to keep it going. 

I'm not sure that the folks here have said that coaching doesn't make any difference, 

I think they do believe (and I happen to agree with them) that some do tend to overstate the role of a coach in a winning program.

12 hours ago, The Icon said:

So, we’ve opened some kind of Flan vs Rio wound. Any chance we can move on from that and refocus toward potential candidates? 

Any discussion of Crosby football coaching that does not include Ronnie Davenport is bogus. 

As for potential candidates, they will get plenty of quality applicants.

7 hours ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

Any discussion of Crosby football coaching that does not include Ronnie Davenport is bogus. 

As for potential candidates, they will get plenty of quality applicants.

With the district's financial troubles, I wouldn't assume that.  No guarantee that they will pay the next guy what Rio was making or more.