Lumberton 38 West Orange-Stark 35/FINAL

WOSgrad

This is the debate with a proposed shot clock.  As much as I like watching basketball with a shot clock because I like a fast paced game, Lumberton could not have the season they have had with one.  They beat WOS twice by controlling the tempo of the game and dictating the game would be played on their terms.  Disciplined, long possessions.   Shorten the game by not allowing the mustangs to have the ball.  My guess is the Raiders probably had a very lopsided time of possession.  

So as much as I love fast paced basketball, I have to agree with my friend @AggiesAreWe   In the high school game, imposing the clock would take away a lot of strategy which, if executed, can be the great equalizer.   And Lumberton Assistant Rideaux is another one vehemently opposed to a HS shot clock.  

I’ve seen the raiders in the past play close games with opponents.  This group of young men and the coaches have figured out how to win close games this year.  They’ve been in quite a few overtime games this year and seemed to have pulled most if not all out with a W.  It’s not always pretty but doesn’t have to be.  Sometimes just not accepting to lose can be contagious and these boys play hard and make a play when they need to. Keep grindin. 

49 minutes ago, Bdub3 said:

I’ve seen the raiders in the past play close games with opponents.  This group of young men and the coaches have figured out how to win close games this year.  They’ve been in quite a few overtime games this year and seemed to have pulled most if not all out with a W.  It’s not always pretty but doesn’t have to be.  Sometimes just not accepting to lose can be contagious and these boys play hard and make a play when they need to. Keep grindin. 

Last three games have been wins in ot. LCM in OT, BC in double OT and tonight WOS in OT! 

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

This is the debate with a proposed shot clock.  As much as I like watching basketball with a shot clock because I like a fast paced game, Lumberton could not have the season they have had with one.  They beat WOS twice by controlling the tempo of the game and dictating the game would be played on their terms.  Disciplined, long possessions.   Shorten the game by not allowing the mustangs to have the ball.  My guess is the Raiders probably had a very lopsided time of possession.  

So as much as I love fast paced basketball, I have to agree with my friend @AggiesAreWe   In the high school game, imposing the clock would take away a lot of strategy which, if executed, can be the great equalizer.   And Lumberton Assistant Rideaux is another one vehemently opposed to a HS shot clock.  

I'm not sure about it but here's something anecdotal.  

In my opinion the most exciting game the Silsbee Tigers have played in the last four years was the 46-45 win over Argyle in the 2017 semifinal.  No. 1 ranked Silsbee was averaging 105 points per game in a 15 game win streak coming in.  But the No. 10 ranked Eagles weren't intimidated in the least and Argyle set the tempo early and kept it to their liking the whole game.

It was tight all the way with 18 lead changes.  Argyle led 12 - 9 at the end of one.  Silsbee had a better 2nd qtr. and led 27-23 at the half.   Argyle took the lead back 33 - 31 at the end of 3.  Yea, you read right, the Tigers scored all of 4 POINTS in the third quarter.   The Eagles weren't slow just very deliberate and virtually immune to Silsbee's patented pressure defense.

It was obviously a huge win for the Tigers and perhaps the most emotional.  Taken completely out of their comfort zone, trailing going into the 4th quarter, they found a way.  Trajan Harris's 2 clutch free throws to tie and take the lead with seconds left are the highlight for Silsbee.

The Tiger's lowest scoring game in years is also one of their most important wins.

2 hours ago, RaiderGirl2010 said:

Last three games have been wins in ot. LCM in OT, BC in double OT and tonight WOS in OT! 

Huge win.  At this point in the season WOS is better than their record.  To go in there and pull out an OT win is a pretty big thing.  And getting to play the runner up rather than the district winner is even huger.  Is that a word?  Finishing district at 8-4, not bad at all.

And I'm expecting a much more competitive game on Tuesday than that ugly thing at our gym.  Watch the passing.  Anything, a 10 second violation, getting tied up, anything at all is better than a questionable pass that results in a quick layup the other way.

6 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

I'm not sure about it but here's something anecdotal.  

In my opinion the most exciting game the Silsbee Tigers have played in the last four years was the 46-45 win over Argyle in the 2017 semifinal.  No. 1 ranked Silsbee was averaging 105 points per game in a 15 game win streak coming in.  But the No. 10 ranked Eagles weren't intimidated in the least and Argyle set the tempo early and kept it to their liking the whole game.

It was tight all the way with 18 lead changes.  Argyle led 12 - 9 at the end of one.  Silsbee had a better 2nd qtr. and led 27-23 at the half.   Argyle took the lead back 33 - 31 at the end of 3.  Yea, you read right, the Tigers scored all of 4 POINTS in the third quarter.   The Eagles weren't slow just very deliberate and virtually immune to Silsbee's patented pressure defense.

It was obviously a huge win for the Tigers and perhaps the most emotional.  Taken completely out of their comfort zone, trailing going into the 4th quarter, they found a way.  Trajan Harris's 2 clutch free throws to tie and take the lead with seconds left are the highlight for Silsbee.

The Tiger's lowest scoring game in years is also one of their most important wins.

Yep, that was a nail biter. Not a lot of high flying that we all like to see but that was a very entertaining game as two teams with separate styles went at each other. The only sigh of relief (for Silsbee fans) was when that last Argyle shot that rimmed of and Silsbee rebounded at the buzzer. To me, that was the “game” of the tourney. 

10 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Matt Graves hits nothing but the bottom of the net from the corner as time expires.  Thankfully, he is a better shooter (and much more handsome) than his grandpa :D 

Heard that grandpa’s head was three times it’s normal size after the game. Had trouble keeping his balance. Hope he is better this morning. 

I rewatched the Carter/Silsbee game last night. That was one of the best games I've ever seen. Even the anouncers said so. Much more entertaining than Silsbee/Argyle.

Don't see how anyone can be a fan of this stall ball garbage.

Lumberton tries this on Tuesday, and I hope Silsbee shows them no mercy this time around.

WO-S ain't gonna win with that coach. How many of his players even really care. He's probably done lost the team, so to speak.

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

I rewatched the Carter/Silsbee game last night. That was one of the best games I've ever seen. Even the anouncers said so. Much more entertaining than Silsbee/Argyle.

Don't see how anyone can be a fan of this stall ball garbage.

Lumberton tries this on Tuesday, and I hope Silsbee shows them no mercy this time around.

WO-S ain't gonna win with that coach. How many of his players even really care. He's probably done lost the team, so to speak.

So if you were the coach of Lumberton, you would try to run and gun with Silsbee? You have to put your team in the best position to win the game. Trying to run with Silsbee isn’t it.