Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PlayActionPass

Let's try this again - Bridge City OC job OPEN

54 posts in this topic

Believe me, if I knew the answer I would be telling everyone I know. I've had season tickets since the early 2000's when we dropped to 3a. There have been some awesome seasons and some that are tough to watch. I've heard the phrase its not the X's and O's its the Jimmy's and Joe's, but I can honestly say I've seen both sides of that be true.  Over the last 20 years I've seen some great athletes come through the program and some good coaches too, they have rarely crossed paths. Hopefully the current regime can help the program continue to grow and move in the right direction. 

Bobcat1 and rhino1877 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DLivingston said:

So, because there is an opening at Bridge City for OC, that led to once again BC kids being soft, scared, lazy, and the baseball coaches are selfish and forcing those same soft, scared and lazy kids to commit to the baseball program? Am I understanding this thread correctly? 

And as for me being a baseball guy that tries to pretend like it doesn't keep happening over and over, I don't have any ties to the high school baseball or football program. My son is in 8th grade right now, he plays football, and baseball and throws shot and discus . He will play football and baseball as long as he is in school.  My only reason for even commenting on this post was because every time BC football comes up, the same people get on here and complain about how the big bad baseball coaches and the terrible daddy ball baseball parents are ruining football. I just want you guys to know that some of us don't hate football  

This needs to be posted on Bridge City 2.0 on Facebook ;-) 

rhino1877 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardinal Basher is more like it. 

“When the ISD hired Shea Landry (who had recently won a ring as baseball HC at WOS”

You do realize WOS got beat pretty bad at the State Championship for baseball and didn’t win it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WarHogz said:

Cardinal Basher is more like it. 

“When the ISD hired Shea Landry (who had recently won a ring as baseball HC at WOS”

You do realize WOS got beat pretty bad at the State Championship for baseball and didn’t win it. 

WO-S getting beat in the State Final game 7-3 isnt get beat "pretty bad" - stop reaching . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WarHogz said:

Cardinal Basher is more like it. 

“When the ISD hired Shea Landry (who had recently won a ring as baseball HC at WOS”

You do realize WOS got beat pretty bad at the State Championship for baseball and didn’t win it. 

At least they got there. That’s more than I can say for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, DLivingston said:

Believe me, if I knew the answer I would be telling everyone I know. I've had season tickets since the early 2000's when we dropped to 3a. There have been some awesome seasons and some that are tough to watch. I've heard the phrase its not the X's and O's its the Jimmy's and Joe's, but I can honestly say I've seen both sides of that be true.  Over the last 20 years I've seen some great athletes come through the program and some good coaches too, they have rarely crossed paths. Hopefully the current regime can help the program continue to grow and move in the right direction. 

I guess as an Outsider, who only sees BC kids on rare occasions, I just don't understand why there is not more success in football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I guess as an Outsider, who only sees BC kids on rare occasions, I just don't understand why there is not more success in football. 

It's just a culture thing.  We won a State Championship in football in 1966.  It's not a shortage of athletes, it's a lack of development. I think we've got something like 26 District Championships in baseball, and everybody knows that our district is tough.  Really tough.  But we compete every year and win a lot of them. We've had numerous kids go on to play at the next level.  

I hate to call anybody out, but there's a certain pitcher at UT who is already signed with the Red Sox minor league organization.  He played a qb in high school, but honestly never developed the skillset beyond his natural talent.  Didn't play his senior season, either.  We've got a kid that I think is a Senior that's had D1 offers as pitcher.  He started at tailback his sophomore year but quit for his junior season.  First thing that's noticeable is that the kid obviously has an arm.  Why wasn't he under center?  No qb background, which is the norm in BC. I get it... why take the pounding that comes with playing as a back in our offense after the brutal 2-6 season that we had in '17?  But don't kid yourself into thinking that there aren't any talented athletes at BC.  We had an all-world catcher that graduated last year, I believe, and never put on the pads.  Think about that.  Catchers are almost by default hard-nosed, quick kids.... and he was one of the best.  A kid like that would normally be laying the wood on people all fall, but not this kid.  He'd be on the sidelines in street clothes, warming the qb up... and throwing better balls that the qb, too.  Just a "baseball guy," though. 

Imagine the tradition and community expectations that exist in places like WOS and Newton... then do the exact opposite. These kids are typically the sons of guys who didn't suit up either.  That's how you create Cardinal teams like we typically have. We had our kids in youth football and when they wanted to play little league we signed them up for that, too.  It was astounding to see all of these athletic kids at the ball fields that we'd never seen before... because they weren't playing youth football.  

If you take a group of undeveloped kids, but especially a group without a qb prospect on the team, then try to run the spread like we did under Stump, you're not gonna have any success, ever.  I think that Dubois was on the right track for our personnel, but the Slot T with "0" passing attack is only gonna get you so far.  And like I always say... if you'd rather smoke a little grass and hang out at Whataburger instead of hitting the weight room... be ready to get your you-know-what handed to you by guys who are willing to put the work in.  Just see "2018" as an example of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's just a culture thing.  We won a State Championship in football in 1966.  It's not a shortage of athletes, it's a lack of development. I think we've got something like 26 District Championships in baseball, and everybody knows that our district is tough.  Really tough.  But we compete every year and win a lot of them. We've had numerous kids go on to play at the next level.  

I hate to call anybody out, but there's a certain pitcher at UT who is already signed with the Red Sox minor league organization.  He played a qb in high school, but honestly never developed the skillset beyond his natural talent.  Didn't play his senior season, either.  We've got a kid that I think is a Senior that's had D1 offers as pitcher.  He started at tailback his sophomore year but quit for his junior season.  First thing that's noticeable is that the kid obviously has an arm.  Why wasn't he under center?  No qb background, which is the norm in BC. I get it... why take the pounding that comes with playing as a back in our offense after the brutal 2-6 season that we had in '17?  But don't kid yourself into thinking that there aren't any talented athletes at BC.  We had an all-world catcher that graduated last year, I believe, and never put on the pads.  Think about that.  Catchers are almost by default hard-nosed, quick kids.... and he was one of the best.  A kid like that would normally be laying the wood on people all fall, but not this kid.  He'd be on the sidelines in street clothes, warming the qb up... and throwing better balls that the qb, too.  Just a "baseball guy," though. 

Imagine the tradition and community expectations that exist in places like WOS and Newton... then do the exact opposite. These kids are typically the sons of guys who didn't suit up either.  That's how you create Cardinal teams like we typically have. We had our kids in youth football and when they wanted to play little league we signed them up for that, too.  It was astounding to see all of these athletic kids at the ball fields that we'd never seen before... because they weren't playing youth football.  

If you take a group of undeveloped kids, but especially a group without a qb prospect on the team, then try to run the spread like we did under Stump, you're not gonna have any success, ever.  I think that Dubois was on the right track for our personnel, but the Slot T with "0" passing attack is only gonna get you so far.  And like I always say... if you'd rather smoke a little grass and hang out at Whataburger instead of hitting the weight room... be ready to get your you-know-what handed to you by guys who are willing to put the work in.  Just see "2018" as an example of that. 

Dang, that is sad. That is all I can say.

I appreciate the honest assessment.

Just a couple of those baseball "only" kids could make a huge difference.

Especially if they are "right" ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Dang, that is sad. That is all I can say.

I appreciate the honest assessment.

Just a couple of those baseball "only" kids could make a huge difference.

Especially if they are "right" ones.

We had 140 kids in the marching band, but around 25 suiting up to play football on the varsity squad.  Don't kid yourself into believing that some of those fat boys toting tubas wouldn't have made decent linemen if they'd ever put the work in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

We had 140 kids in the marching band, but around 25 suiting up to play football on the varsity squad.  Don't kid yourself into believing that some of those fat boys toting tubas wouldn't have made decent linemen if they'd ever put the work in.  

That is a sad state of affairs. Not sure I have heard of any situation (at this level) that matches this one.

So much potential and so much apathy towards football.

Huffman is a tough situation too, but at least the kids do enough to be competitive there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

We had 140 kids in the marching band, but around 25 suiting up to play football on the varsity squad.  Don't kid yourself into believing that some of those fat boys toting tubas wouldn't have made decent linemen if they'd ever put the work in.  

True.  Get the right coach in and start winning and you'll get a lot of those kids to turn out.  Winning solves a whole lot of problems. 

CardinalBacker likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Reagan said:

True.  Get the right coach in and start winning and you'll get a lot of those kids to turn out.  Winning solves a whole lot of problems. 

All the problems 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

I hate to call anybody out, but there's a certain pitcher at UT who is already signed with the Red Sox minor league organization.  He played a qb in high school, but honestly never developed the skillset beyond his natural talent.  Didn't play his senior season, either.

Here we go again! Would you like the medical record from his doctor that said playing football was out of the question with his shoulder injury? Missed a couple of baseball games his senior season because of the shoulder injury. Missed some time his freshman year at UT because of his shoulder injury. Had surgery to repair his shoulder after his freshman season at UT. He WANTED to play football his Senior year. And as far as never developing his skillset beyond his natural talent I would say pitching in the RedSox organization proves he did. You are a clown and you prove it over and over again with each post!

Ronnie Shugart

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ron4Shug said:

 

Calm down, Bro.... First, I didn't call anybody out.  

Why didn't he make the football team out there?  I don't remember him getting any interest at all for his football abilities, apparently because apparently somebody with your last name never bothered to teach the kid how to read defenses or check-downs.  So yes, he got as far in FOOTBALL as his natural talent would take him. 

 

And that readers, sums up the typical response from typical Bridge City baseball fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's just a culture thing.  We won a State Championship in football in 1966.  It's not a shortage of athletes, it's a lack of development. I think we've got something like 26 District Championships in baseball, and everybody knows that our district is tough.  Really tough.  But we compete every year and win a lot of them. We've had numerous kids go on to play at the next level.  

I hate to call anybody out, but there's a certain pitcher at UT who is already signed with the Red Sox minor league organization.  He played a qb in high school, but honestly never developed the skillset beyond his natural talent.  Didn't play his senior season, either.  We've got a kid that I think is a Senior that's had D1 offers as pitcher.  He started at tailback his sophomore year but quit for his junior season.  First thing that's noticeable is that the kid obviously has an arm.  Why wasn't he under center?  No qb background, which is the norm in BC. I get it... why take the pounding that comes with playing as a back in our offense after the brutal 2-6 season that we had in '17?  But don't kid yourself into thinking that there aren't any talented athletes at BC.  We had an all-world catcher that graduated last year, I believe, and never put on the pads.  Think about that.  Catchers are almost by default hard-nosed, quick kids.... and he was one of the best.  A kid like that would normally be laying the wood on people all fall, but not this kid.  He'd be on the sidelines in street clothes, warming the qb up... and throwing better balls that the qb, too.  Just a "baseball guy," though. 

Imagine the tradition and community expectations that exist in places like WOS and Newton... then do the exact opposite. These kids are typically the sons of guys who didn't suit up either.  That's how you create Cardinal teams like we typically have. We had our kids in youth football and when they wanted to play little league we signed them up for that, too.  It was astounding to see all of these athletic kids at the ball fields that we'd never seen before... because they weren't playing youth football.  

If you take a group of undeveloped kids, but especially a group without a qb prospect on the team, then try to run the spread like we did under Stump, you're not gonna have any success, ever.  I think that Dubois was on the right track for our personnel, but the Slot T with "0" passing attack is only gonna get you so far.  And like I always say... if you'd rather smoke a little grass and hang out at Whataburger instead of hitting the weight room... be ready to get your you-know-what handed to you by guys who are willing to put the work in.  Just see "2018" as an example of that. 

All I’m saying is you need to change your name because you sure aren’t a Cardinal Backer. Things will change don’t worry and when they do don’t try to jump on the train. 

WOSdrummer99 and rhino1877 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WarHogz said:

All I’m saying is you need to change your name because you sure aren’t a Cardinal Backer. Things will change don’t worry and when they do don’t try to jump on the train. 

I don't know if you've noticed, but there hasn't been a train since 15 and 16.  And I was here before that, and I'll be here after.  But I'm also not gonna sugarcoat a bad situation.  We stink.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Ron4Shug said:

 

Hey.... Didn't he have a little brother, too?  The one that was 2nd Team All-District DE as a sopohomore?  What ever happened to that kid?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Calm down, Bro.... First, I didn't call anybody out.  

Why didn't he make the football team out there?  I don't remember him getting any interest at all for his football abilities, apparently because apparently somebody with your last name never bothered to teach the kid how to read defenses or check-downs.  So yes, he got as far in FOOTBALL as his natural talent would take him. 

 

And that readers, sums up the typical response from typical Bridge City baseball fans.

He's 5'10" 175lbs and ran a 4.8 40! Why would anyone recruit that? And you comment about me never teaching him coverages or throwing to check downs is laughable. You obviously dont know me lol. Now someone running their fastball up to 97/98 will get you recruited and even drafted regardless of size and how fast or slow he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Hey.... Didn't he have a little brother, too?  The one that was 2nd Team All-District DE as a sopohomore?  What ever happened to that kid?

 

Like you don't know? You know everything BC football. If you want to throw rocks I can throw some pretty big ones! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ron4Shug said:

He's 5'10" 175lbs and ran a 4.8 40! Why would anyone recruit that? And you comment about me never teaching him coverages or throwing to check downs is laughable. You obviously dont know me lol. Now someone running their fastball up to 97/98 will get you recruited and even drafted regardless of size and how fast or slow he is. 

Good thing nobody ever said that to the guys who were recruiting Kyler Murray... he's a skyscraper at 5'11.   Has a trophy called a "Heisman."  Plays a little baseball, too.   He is a little quicker, though.

I remember Shug's bum shoulder.. He'd be on the sidelines in his jersey and short pants throwing the football around on Friday nights, bad shoulder and all. But that's acceptable in BC.  And that's just symptomatic of the problem with the football program in BC, which is what we're talking about here.  

I'm not knocking the kid's baseball abilities.  They speak for themselves.  No need to defend them.  But don't pretend like you guys gave ample attention to both sports.  And that's completely fine...That's a choice you guys and a lot of other parents in Bridge City make, and it's a reason that things are the way that they are.

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I remember Shug's bum shoulder.. He'd be on the sidelines in his jersey and short pants throwing the football around on Friday nights, bad shoulder and all. But that's acceptable in BC.  And that's just symptomatic of the problem with the football program in BC, which is what we're talking about here.  

So what's wrong with him supporting his teammates that he had played with since 5 years old? Wasn't his fault he was injured playing football his Junior year. Or maybe it was because he wouldn't avoid unnecessary contact. His injury was non throwing shoulder but don't let that interfere with your narrative. Comparing Chase to Kyler is ridiculous!!! Don't care how many football camps Chase would have went to he and 99.9% of America wouldn't be as talented and freakishly athletic as Kyler Murray. Seriously dude get a clue!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I don't know if you've noticed, but there hasn't been a train since 15 and 16.  And I was here before that, and I'll be here after.  But I'm also not gonna sugarcoat a bad situation.  We stink.  

CB it looks like your city turned on you. You can become the Lickem backers we gonna win some football games this up coming season. 

CardinalBacker likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0