Let's try this again - Bridge City OC job OPEN

PlayActionPass

4 minutes ago, Hazer said:

Well.....they can't go anywhere but up, but then again they could go back to the spread...yikes

I think the job posting said something about Multiple-I experience.

Teams are going to play man-2-man against BC and crowd the box regardless of what offense you run. So. I'm not real sure it matters much if it is a Spread formation, I formation or a Wng/Slot formation.

I think it should be a combination honestly, put something in there where you can run play-action and win those one-on-ones because the DB bit on something they weren't supposed to. When I say that I'm not talking about Slot-t you have to give your QB a chance to throw and a chance for your WR to run a route or even a double move route especially in man coverage if, BC wants to put up points this is what I think they need to do. A one back set under center or gun double TE or H back and start mixing it up. 

I know that Dubois is the Slot-t guru but I have a hard time believing that BC is better suited for a more spread or even a I  formation team. Their success came from misdirection and aggressiveness. They don't really have the kinda of athletes that will just line up and be better that you. Thats why the misdirection was perfect for them. Forced teams with better athletes to play a discipline type of defense and then BC would just punch you in the mouth. I really enjoyed watching their offence. 

1 hour ago, Hazer said:

I think it should be a combination honestly, put something in there where you can run play-action and win those one-on-ones because the DB bit on something they weren't supposed to. When I say that I'm not talking about Slot-t you have to give your QB a chance to throw and a chance for your WR to run a route or even a double move route especially in man coverage if, BC wants to put up points this is what I think they need to do. A one back set under center or gun double TE or H back and start mixing it up. 

No offense, but we never have anybody that can throw the ball.  We just don't develop qbs.  Any scheme that relies on moving the ball through the air will NOT work without a bona fide qb.  I think we'd do a lot better with more of a passing attack (2-3 passes per game isn't going to do it) to compliment our rushing attack, but we've run the spread and it was a disaster.  Nothing has changed.  Everybody wants to pitch for the Cardinals, but nobody wants to be the qb.  That's just how it goes down there.   

1 hour ago, Kegger said:

I know that Dubois is the Slot-t guru but I have a hard time believing that BC is better suited for a more spread or even a I  formation team. Their success came from misdirection and aggressiveness. They don't really have the kinda of athletes that will just line up and be better that you. Thats why the misdirection was perfect for them. Forced teams with better athletes to play a discipline type of defense and then BC would just punch you in the mouth. I really enjoyed watching their offence. 

You have to have kids that buy into the program.  You can't just show up for two-a-days and beat anybody.  Sorry.  

It also stinks that our defense never has to defend passing attacks in practice... it puts us at a disadvantage on Friday nights when we actually have to look up. 

On 2/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, CardinalBacker said:

You have to have kids that buy into the program.  You can't just show up for two-a-days and beat anybody.  Sorry.  

It also stinks that our defense never has to defend passing attacks in practice... it puts us at a disadvantage on Friday nights when we actually have to look up. 

Do people in BC simply hate football that much?

48 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Do people in BC simply hate football that much?

It's not that they hate football.. they just love baseball.  Everybody grows up wanting to be a pitcher for the baseball team... nobody wants to be the qb.  

It's not being hateful... it's just the truth.  There are an army of kids that grow up wearing purple and wanting to be the next Dustin Long or Roschon.  If those same kids lived in BC, they probably just play select baseball and little league. 

When the ISD hired Shea Landry (who had recently won a ring as baseball HC at WOS) to be the assistant baseball coach at BC,  but runs off a decent football guy like HC/AD like Dubois.... well, it doesn't make the haters like me look wrong.  I mean, I'm sure they put as much effort into securing another football HC last year (nope, we just bumped Deshazo up) or offensive coordinator this year. 

I mean... are we interviewing any football HCs with recent State Championships to see if they'd like to come be the Offensive Coordinator for the Cards?

Gimme a break... and it's baseball guys like DLivingston that try to pretend like it doesn't keep happening over and over.  

31 minutes ago, DLivingston said:

No, we love football. It just seems like some Bridge City posters on here just hate other sports. 

OK, then is simply a matter of them loving Baseball more?

Why can't BC get the best athletes on the football field?

Do the Baseball coaches hate football? And use their power over the kids to encourage them not to play football?

17 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

OK, then is simply a matter of them loving Baseball more?

Why can't BC get the best athletes on the football field?

Do the Baseball coaches hate football? And use their power over the kids to encourage them not to play football?

It's a lot of things, but it's community wide.

I've seen a lot of kids who really don't have a lot of baseball talent, but their parents still have them taking pitching lessons, playing LL, Fall ball, and select ball.  I can't think of a single kid in the last few years that hit up a football camp.  I take that back... I can think of two.  

When a kid with an arm in other places would normally be honing his QB skills, in BC that kid will quit STJFL to pursue baseball (if he was ever even in STJFL). Part of it comes down to losing... I mean, it's hard to sell kids on a sport when the program is so inconsistent.  Or actually, bad more often than decent. 

I'll also say this... BC kids as a whole are soft.  They'd rather go spit sunflower seeds and shag grounders than hit the weightroom.  I used to tell my boys after I came home from the lake "yeah... I drove through Newton.  They were out practicing.  What did you do today?  Oh, you slept in, ate doritos, and played COD.... that's why they win."

If you had a kid that was potentially a starter on the football team, would you be content if he quit the sport to focus on baseball... but still hung out on the sidelines on Friday nights in street clothes?  It's completely cool in BC.  I mean, I know you've got a commit to play baseball, but if your gonna quit on the team, stop hanging out on the sidelines. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's a lot of things, but it's community wide.

I've seen a lot of kids who really don't have a lot of baseball talent, but their parents still have them taking pitching lessons, playing LL, Fall ball, and select ball.  I can't think of a single kid in the last few years that hit up a football camp.  I take that back... I can think of two.  

When a kid with an arm in other places would normally be honing his QB skills, in BC that kid will quit STJFL to pursue baseball (if he was ever even in STJFL). Part of it comes down to losing... I mean, it's hard to sell kids on a sport when the program is so inconsistent.  Or actually, bad more often than decent. 

I'll also say this... BC kids as a whole are soft.  They'd rather go spit sunflower seeds and shag grounders than hit the weightroom.  I used to tell my boys after I came home from the lake "yeah... I drove through Newton.  They were out practicing.  What did you do today?  Oh, you slept in, ate doritos, and played COD.... that's why they win."

If you had a kid that was potentially a starter on the football team, would you be content if he quit the sport to focus on baseball... but still hung out on the sidelines on Friday nights in street clothes?  It's completely cool in BC.  I mean, I know you've got a commit to play baseball, but if your gonna quit on the team, stop hanging out on the sidelines. 

I get it.

High School Football is king in Texas, just not Bridge City, America.

Sounds to me like a combination of SOFT kids, and Baseball Coaches who are selfish and territorial.

I will never understand it.

Every College Baseball Coach I get the opportunity to talk to, says the same thing. They prefer kids who also play football. They talk about the weight training, and how football player better understand the importance of lifting. They talk about mental and physical toughness. They talk about those kids being better teammates, because they are not as selfish. They talk about more disciplined athletes because of the rigors of playing football.

I just don't get why parents and high school baseball coaches don't get it. Football is great for developing better baseball players. Anybody ever heard of Kyler Murray? Deion Sanders maybe? Bo Jackson possibly?

9 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I will never understand it.

Every College Baseball Coach I get the opportunity to talk to, says the same thing. They prefer kids who also play football. They talk about the weight training, and how football player better understand the importance of lifting. They talk about mental and physical toughness. They talk about those kids being better teammates, because they are not as selfish. They talk about more disciplined athletes because of the rigors of playing football.

I just don't get why parents and high school baseball coaches don't get it. Football is great for developing better baseball players. Anybody ever heard of Kyler Murray? Deion Sanders maybe? Bo Jackson possibly?

Why not both?

Ohio State did a 10 year study on athletes that specialized in a sport versus athletes that did not. What they found is the athletes (as a whole) that specialized were more prone to injury, had less agility, and never improved their skills that are complimentary to that sport; so they were less athletic overall.

Here is another article about specializing versus not specializing:

This is the hidden content, please

So, because there is an opening at Bridge City for OC, that led to once again BC kids being soft, scared, lazy, and the baseball coaches are selfish and forcing those same soft, scared and lazy kids to commit to the baseball program? Am I understanding this thread correctly? 

And as for me being a baseball guy that tries to pretend like it doesn't keep happening over and over, I don't have any ties to the high school baseball or football program. My son is in 8th grade right now, he plays football, and baseball and throws shot and discus . He will play football and baseball as long as he is in school.  My only reason for even commenting on this post was because every time BC football comes up, the same people get on here and complain about how the big bad baseball coaches and the terrible daddy ball baseball parents are ruining football. I just want you guys to know that some of us don't hate football  

22 minutes ago, DLivingston said:

So, because there is an opening at Bridge City for OC, that led to once again BC kids being soft, scared, lazy, and the baseball coaches are selfish and forcing those same soft, scared and lazy kids to commit to the baseball program? Am I understanding this thread correctly? 

And as for me being a baseball guy that tries to pretend like it doesn't keep happening over and over, I don't have any ties to the high school baseball or football program. My son is in 8th grade right now, he plays football, and baseball and throws shot and discus . He will play football and baseball as long as he is in school.  My only reason for even commenting on this post was because every time BC football comes up, the same people get on here and complain about how the big bad baseball coaches and the terrible daddy ball baseball parents are ruining football. I just want you guys to know that some of us don't hate football  

Not my intention at all, and if I insinuated that the coaches were at fault, then I apologize. 

I was just curious what the BC faithful on here felt like the problem was in the football program.

You have told what the problem is NOT, in your opinion what is the issue?