#1 Shelbyville (22-2A) vs #2 East Chambers (22-3A)

tennisbc

50 minutes ago, no-look said:

Does Shelbyville have the guard play to beat EC’s press?

29 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

That’s why I asked about style of play. From what I’ve heard they are a well rounded team that can play a multitude of ways. 

Yes yes and yes Imo yall will know better than me but I guess ask Hardin Jefferson 

16 hours ago, Fergton said:

Yes yes and yes Imo yall will know better than me but I guess ask Hardin Jefferson 

And Huffman.  Those 2, along with the Spring Hill loss, are easily the three toughest opponents on the schedule (no offense to 1A Lipan), until now.  This could be a really good game if Shelbyville controls the tempo.  Only way it gets out of hand is if they fall into playing EC’s game.

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

And Huffman.  Those 2, along with the Spring Hill loss, are easily the three toughest opponents on the schedule (no offense to 1A Lipan), until now.  This could be a really good game if Shelbyville controls the tempo.  Only way it gets out of hand is if they fall into playing EC’s game.

I'd throw in Martin Mills and Big Sandy. I think East Chambers would agree with MM. 

EC beating Grapeland and Martin’s Mill back to back 6 days after football ended really impressed me. 10/12 players also played football. Their press was not effective for a good portion of each game due to fatigue. Also did not have their best defensive player at that tournament or for the first 10 games. 3 of those were against teams ranked at the time. Grapeland, MM and Lamarque in 4A. The first game with Orangefield was a close game most of the game. Kordell played in the second game and made a huge difference. I look forward to a great game from both teams and thank both coaches for giving us this matchup. 

1 hour ago, Crawford72 said:

EC beating Grapeland and Martin’s Mill back to back 6 days after football ended really impressed me. 10/12 players also played football. Their press was not effective for a good portion of each game due to fatigue. Also did not have their best defensive player at that tournament or for the first 10 games. 3 of those were against teams ranked at the time. Grapeland, MM and Lamarque in 4A. The first game with Orangefield was a close game most of the game. Kordell played in the second game and made a huge difference. I look forward to a great game from both teams and thank both coaches for giving us this matchup. 

Wow I just hope Shelbyville doesn't get run out of the gym. I guess our rank opponents just doesn't match up. Woden #4 at the time Martin Mills #3 Big Sandy #4 Tenaha #8 twice, Woden #14 again Aransas Pass #12 Hardin Jefferson #14 Spring Hill. All joking aside hope we make a good showing 

47 minutes ago, Ferg 510 said:

Never said anything about your team. Have never seen them. Just making a comment about EC and thanking the coaches from both teams for a great match up. Calm down

Wow I just hope Shelbyville doesn't get run out of the gym. I guess our rank opponents just doesn't match up. Woden #4 at the time Martin Mills #3 Big Sandy #4 Tenaha #8 twice, Woden #14 again Aransas Pass #12 Hardin Jefferson #14 Spring Hill. All joking aside hope we make a good showing 

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Lipan, the back-to-back state 1A champions who beat Shelbyville are not one of the toughest opponents? If my memory recalls two years ago Lipan beat Argyle who gave Silsbee its toughest game and just 8 miles down the road is #1 in 3A who won't even play them.

9 minutes ago, RaiderRed30 said:

Lipan, the back-to-back state 1A champions who beat Shelbyville are not one of the toughest opponents? If my memory recalls two years ago Lipan beat Argyle who gave Silsbee its toughest game and just 8 miles down the road is #1 in 3A who won't even play them.

You read correctly if you meant one of three toughest opponents, at least this year.  Not sure about the Lipan team from 2 years ago.  This year’s Lipan team lost to Port Aransas, who HJ managed to beat by 40+.  I’m sure they’re an excellent 1A team that may well win 3 in a row.  But I don’t think saying they aren’t as good as ranked 4A teams is a huge diss.  

1 hour ago, RaiderRed30 said:

Lipan is still a very talented team, but not the Lipan of the last two years. Still a very good team and tough out for any team.

2 hours ago, About a week ago said:

Lipan is still a very talented team, but not the Lipan of the last two years. Still a very good team and tough out for any team.

The issue I have is saying that Lipan is not one of the three toughest teams Shelbyville has played because they are 1A. The dragons have lost twice; Spring Hill by 2 and Lipan by 7. Lipan was up at half 38 (34) - 23 at half. Just because they are 1A does not mean they are not as good as the 4A schools in Huffman and Hardin-Jefferson. I have seen a 1A team beat a top 15 ranked 5A team. You cannot use the statement that because they lost to so and so who lost to so and so as a reason. Matchups and shooting can change outcomes. This not the same team as two years ago (which maybe only 5-6 teams in all of SETX would have beat), yes but it is still the same coach and philosphy and only about 15 SETX schools 1A to 6A would beat them.

Yep.....Thanks for the matchup. Just wish it wasn't 3 1/2 hours away. No way I can make the game. I expect a close game, with EC making a late run to win by 10 with free throws at the end. EC is known for running and pressing, but this is the second group of kids to come through EC that are really special at it and are really deep. Even teams with good guards get uncomfortable against this press and because of that, tams have to keep best 5 on the floor while EC is playing 8 with no drop off in effectiveness. By the end of the game, teams are just worn down. Will be a great test for Shelbyville. Really wish I could see the game...........

2 hours ago, RaiderRed30 said:

The issue I have is saying that Lipan is not one of the three toughest teams Shelbyville has played because they are 1A. The dragons have lost twice; Spring Hill by 2 and Lipan by 7. Lipan was up at half 38 (34) - 23 at half. Just because they are 1A does not mean they are not as good as the 4A schools in Huffman and Hardin-Jefferson. I have seen a 1A team beat a top 15 ranked 5A team. You cannot use the statement that because they lost to so and so who lost to so and so as a reason. Matchups and shooting can change outcomes. This not the same team as two years ago (which maybe only 5-6 teams in all of SETX would have beat), yes but it is still the same coach and philosphy and only about 15 SETX schools 1A to 6A would beat them.

You mean like “two years ago Lipan beat Argyle who gave Silsbee its toughest game”?  Is it only possible to use “so and so beat so and so, who almost beat so and so” if we’re debating this year’s teams by using teams that graduated 2 years ago?

Again I don’t know how opining Lipan isn’t as good as 3 teams that are state-ranked in 4A was so outrageous (but apparently it is).  The Napoleon complex is alive and well.  Thankfully for Coach K, Lipan is in District 19-1A and not the ACC...

3 hours ago, RaiderRed30 said:

You might be right about that part.   It’s somewhere in that range, maybe a few less actually.  

5 hours ago, RaiderRed30 said:

You completely missed the point of my post. I’m saying Lipan is a very good team, but no they are not the team that beat Argyle two years ago. 

We are comparing apples to oranges. Both teams are VERY good, this is going to be a great matchup. EC has bad loss to Canton, other than that both teams have managed their schedule as well as could have been expected. Each team has a very good chance to both be holding that trophy with gold medals around their next in about 3 weeks. 

57 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

We are comparing apples to oranges. Both teams are VERY good, this is going to be a great matchup. EC has bad loss to Canton, other than that both teams have managed their schedule as well as could have been expected. Each team has a very good chance to both be holding that trophy with gold medals around their next in about 3 weeks. 

Agreed and kudos to both coaches for making this game happen.   Should be a great tune up with a playoff-type atmosphere.   Here’s to a competitive, injury-free game.