Warren 54 Hardin 48/FINAL

WOSgrad

14 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Warren  54

Hardin  48

My second time to see Warren this season and my first to see Hardin. Warren was without what I thought was their best player tonight and lost their PG midway through the 4th to fouls. Managed to pull one out.

He has been out the last couple of games.  They are a different team with him.  He does a really good job on the boards.   I think he should be back soon...  And that PG is fun to watch.  Heard he had 33 against Buna. 

11 hours ago, whsalum said:

Yes sir, I didn't think they would pull this one out without those two. Hardin had a 4 point lead with about a minute left but let it get away.

11 hours ago, whsalum said:

Warren  54

Hardin  48

My second time to see Warren this season and my first to see Hardin. Warren was without what I thought was their best player tonight and lost their PG midway through the 4th to fouls. Managed to pull one out.

Warren was missing one player, but it sure was not their best player.  Best player is #2 who fouled out with 1:07 left in the game.  Second best player/scorer is #1 who had 5 (3 pointers) last night.  # 2 was limited to just a handfull of points.  Great game and made things real tight in the district standings.

Every one is entitled to their opinion. I don't know any of these kids personally but the only other time I saw this team the kid who sat out last night was the best player on the floor. He had a good touch on the 3 ball, a big body who could rebound and play defense. #2 is good ball player but was saddled with fouls last night and played about half the game. #1 did shoot the ball well early last night and then hit some big free throws last night late. The game was close, not sure I would call it great. The remaining 4 games should be interesting. Warren has to go to Kirbyville who I hear has played a little better as of late. Hardin has to play Anahuac who I hear is a little better than they were early. Just my personal opinion but I think last nights game was a perfect example of the importance of scheduling. 

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

Every one is entitled to their opinion. I don't know any of these kids personally but the only other time I saw this team the kid who sat out last night was the best player on the floor. He had a good touch on the 3 ball, a big body who could rebound and play defense. #2 is good ball player but was saddled with fouls last night and played about half the game. #1 did shoot the ball well early last night and then hit some big free throws last night late. The game was close, not sure I would call it great. The remaining 4 games should be interesting. Warren has to go to Kirbyville who I hear has played a little better as of late. Hardin has to play Anahuac who I hear is a little better than they were early. Just my personal opinion but I think last nights game was a perfect example of the importance of scheduling. 

The kid you are speaking of is easily one of their two best players imo (along with #2).   His ability to defend and rebound the ball make them a different team with and without him.   As you well know, there is a lot more to the game than scoring the basketball.  

After Hardin won the first meeting, I figured there would be a rubber match for a playoff spot (Warren would “hold serve” at home).  Neither team should lose to anyone other than the top 3 teams (not that it can’t happen obviously).   If they do play again, should be another good one.  Warren at full force will have the best couple of kids on the floor but Hardin is very scrappy and plays really hard.  

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

After Hardin won the first meeting, I figured there would be a rubber match for a playoff spot (Warren would “hold serve” at home).  Neither team should lose to anyone other than the top 3 teams (not that it can’t happen obviously).   If they do play again, should be another good one.  Warren at full force will have the best couple of kids on the floor but Hardin is very scrappy and plays really hard.  

When the season began, I laid it all out for you guys on another thread.  Hardin would finish 4th - due to Warren losing at Kirbyville.  Even if that don't happen, Hardin will win the rubber match at a neutral location.   I could be wrong.  The interesting thing is, Warren has 3/4 kids who are far more athletic than Hardin and yet, they still split with Hardin. Kudos to Hardin coach for somehow doing more with LESS year in and year out. It's amazing how he has this group of slow, low iq basketball kids competing for a playoff spot.  Mind blowing 

4 minutes ago, GoFundMe said:

When the season began, I laid it all out for you guys on another thread.  Hardin would finish 4th - due to Warren losing at Kirbyville.  Even if that don't happen, Hardin will win the rubber match a neutral location.   I could be wrong.  The interesting thing is, Warren has 3/4 kids who are far more athletic than Hardin and yet, they still split with Hardin. Kudos to Hardin coach for somehow doing more with LESS year in and year out. It's amazing how he has this group of slow, low iq basketball kids competing for a playoff spot.  Mind blowing 

Low IQ?

47 minutes ago, GoFundMe said:

When the season began, I laid it all out for you guys on another thread.  Hardin would finish 4th - due to Warren losing at Kirbyville.  Even if that don't happen, Hardin will win the rubber match a neutral location.   I could be wrong.  The interesting thing is, Warren has 3/4 kids who are far more athletic than Hardin and yet, they still split with Hardin. Kudos to Hardin coach for somehow doing more with LESS year in and year out. It's amazing how he has this group of slow, low iq basketball kids competing for a playoff spot.  Mind blowing 

This is a joke right? Do you understand how bad this district is after the top 3? It’s not amazing to get to the playoffs. 

Just curious, we talked at length earlier in the season about Strength of schedule or lack of it making you a better team. Last night Hardin had a 4 point with 59 seconds left and called a timeout after a made shot to set up their defense. Warren was short 3 starters at this point. It's been my belief that close games against teams of equal talent prepare you for these kinds of situations. I think Hardins schedule hurt them last night.What do you think GoFundMe ? 

21 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Just curious, we talked at length earlier in the season about Strength of schedule or lack of it making you a better team. Last night Hardin had a 4 point with 59 seconds left and called a timeout after a made shot to set up their defense. Warren was short 3 starters at this point. It's been my belief that close games against teams of equal talent prepare you for these kinds of situations. I think Hardins schedule hurt them last night.What do you think GoFundMe ? 

4 point lead with less than a minute left and lose by 6? What the heck?

5 hours ago, GoFundMe said:

When the season began, I laid it all out for you guys on another thread.  Hardin would finish 4th - due to Warren losing at Kirbyville.  Even if that don't happen, Hardin will win the rubber match at a neutral location.   I could be wrong.  The interesting thing is, Warren has 3/4 kids who are far more athletic than Hardin and yet, they still split with Hardin. Kudos to Hardin coach for somehow doing more with LESS year in and year out. It's amazing how he has this group of slow, low iq basketball kids competing for a playoff spot.  Mind blowing 

It doesn't take much (talent or coaching) to win 22 games with that schedule.

3A Hardin vs. 2A/1A/Private schools     17-2

3A Hardin vs. 3A schools                        5-5

That was my point earlier in the season. You make a questionable cross court pass against Fred Goiod Samaritan and you get away with it but it will cost you in a close ballgame. I will have to give these two teams credit. It was an interesting game with a pretty good crowd. Not sure who the fourth place team in this district gets but it won't be pretty. 

7 hours ago, whsalum said:

That was my point earlier in the season. You make a questionable cross court pass against Fred Goiod Samaritan and you get away with it but it will cost you in a close ballgame. I will have to give these two teams credit. It was an interesting game with a pretty good crowd. Not sure who the fourth place team in this district gets but it won't be pretty. 

8 hours ago, whsalum said:

I believe exactly opposite warren alumni...

they are (3 years consecutive) fighting for a playoff spot.  The previous two years consisted of a different somewhat tougher schedule I guess you’d say and they finished just short of the playoffs - this year they will have won many more non district games which built confidence and now poised again to fight for a playoff spot - needless to say, this team isn’t as good as the two that preceded it.  Your theory needs revision. 

By the way, when Warren loses to Kirbyville tomorrow....should warren have played a tougher non - district schedule ?

Better yet....what caused warren to lose by 11 to Hardin the first go round? 

You guys unknowingly are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Hardin will finish no less than t-4 and be in the hunt (3 years in a row).  But....for some strange reason, that upsets a lot of you setx members....can somebody explain that phenomenon? Why ? 

14 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Not sure you do.   Admittedly, I’ve only seen Hardin play once but I wouldn’t insult them with that description.  If anything, I would describe them as the opposite.  

I haven't seen them play..so take my opinion for what it is.  An opinion.  But..I would think that having a lead of 4 with less than a minute actually does take a fair amount of basketball IQ to hold that lead or worst case scenario.. make sure it at least goes to overtime. It takes basketball "know how" to play with a close lead just like it takes basketball "know how" to play from behind. Even if you have a lead by 4 and give up a 3 within the next 10 seconds you still have a 1 point lead with 50 seconds. It takes a fair amount of basketball IQ to hold on to the ball without turning it over or taking a stupid, rushed shot.  Chances are they get fouled and maybe go to the line.  Let's say HHS misses the front end or both or just makes one.. worst case you still have a 1 pt lead and have to play defense for 45 seconds.  Did Warren hold for the last shot or did they go down and score right away?  Or did they get fouled (low bball IQ)?  It should've at worst been Hardin's ball at the end of the game down by 1 shot.  How the heck did this end up a 6 point loss?  I can only speculate that some bad decisions may have been made.. Or some silly decisions/turnovers/rushed shots.

Very possible that a 10 points swing in the final minute of the game was a result of kids that don't really know how to play basketball.  Even if they're scrappy.  Is that what's meant by low IQ, possibly?  Again..I wasn't there. 

52 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I haven't seen them play..so take my opinion for what it is.  An opinion.  But..I would think that having a lead of 4 with less than a minute actually does take a fair amount of basketball IQ to hold that lead or worst case scenario.. make sure it at least goes to overtime. It takes basketball "know how" to play with a close lead just like it takes basketball "know how" to play from behind. Even if you have a lead by 4 and give up a 3 within the next 10 seconds you still have a 1 point lead with 50 seconds. It takes a fair amount of basketball IQ to hold on to the ball without turning it over or taking a stupid, rushed shot.  Chances are they get fouled and maybe go to the line.  Let's say HHS misses the front end or both or just makes one.. worst case you still have a 1 pt lead and have to play defense for 45 seconds.  Did Warren hold for the last shot or did they go down and score right away?  Or did they get fouled (low bball IQ)?  It should've at worst been Hardin's ball at the end of the game down by 1 shot.  How the heck did this end up a 6 point loss?  I can only speculate that some bad decisions may have been made.. Or some silly decisions/turnovers/rushed shots.

Very possible that a 10 points swing in the final minute of the game was a result of kids that don't really know how to play basketball.  Even if they're scrappy.  Is that what's meant by low IQ, possibly?  Again..I wasn't there. 

Wasn’t there either.  Sounds like they cracked a bit under pressure.  I’ve only seen them once but they played pretty sound and within themselves.  Held the ball and were disciplined in sticking to a game plan of slowing the game down tremendously.  Other than that, I have no baseline to judge, other than seeing their scores like everyone else. 

My point would be, basketball IQ comes a great deal from coaching, because you develop one by learning/studying the game. To praise a coach and say his players have very low basketball IQs is a bit contradictory, especially late in a season.