Welcome to the Republican Party

Tigers2010

I recently asked my friend's little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be the President. Both of her parents, Liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her. "If you were President, what would be the first thing you would do?"

She replied, "i'd give food and houses to all the homeless people".

Her parents beamed with pride.

"Wow....what a worthy goal," I told her. "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and i'll pay you $50. Then I will take you to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use towards food and new house".

She thought that over a few seconds, the she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work and you just pay him $50?"

I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

On 1/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, Tigers2010 said:

I recently asked my friend's little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be the President. Both of her parents, Liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her. "If you were President, what would be the first thing you would do?"

She replied, "i'd give food and houses to all the homeless people".

Her parents beamed with pride.

"Wow....what a worthy goal," I told her. "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and i'll pay you $50. Then I will take you to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use towards food and new house".

She thought that over a few seconds, the she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work and you just pay him $50?"

I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

Maybe the homeless guy is suffering from mental illness and can’t perform sequential tasks. Maybe a lack of access to basic medical care has diminished his physical abilities. I don’t like it when political rhetoric utilizes straw men to make its point. Homelessness in our country is a far more complex issue than that catchy little story illustrates.

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

Maybe the homeless guy is suffering from mental illness and can’t perform sequential tasks. Maybe a lack of access to basic medical care has diminished his physical abilities. I don’t like it when political rhetoric utilizes straw men to make its point. Homelessness in our country is a far more complex issue than that catchy little story illustrates.

I don’t like it when people make excuses

Wah. I can't speak for all homeless people, but I do know several personally. They are homeless because they couldn't put the meth down. I'm sure there are plenty that have the issues you describe, though. 

What are you doing about the homeless problem you are so concerned about?

Let me guess...voting to spend other people's money on it.

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

Are you referring to what happened at the Catholic school in Kentucky, by any chance?

Maybe it’s just an amusing story to make a political point, directed at the majority of homeless who are in that situation because they want to be, or made bad life altering decisions.  Some years back, in an effort to reduce the number of homeless in Miami, the city acquired some land outside the city limits, and setup Mobil homes.  It was free.  They had very few takers.  You may find it hard to believe, but many like that life.  America has a history of homelessness, but years ago they were referred to as hobos.  Hobos had to keep moving because most towns & cities had laws against vagrancy that they actually enforced.

Bottom line, you can hardly joke or tell amusing stories without someone getting offended.  The little story above only said “homeless”, it didn’t say, or imply mentally ill.  Only people it’s acceptable to make fun of now is white southerners and Aggies.  Everything else is taboo.  Yes, our mental illness facilities went to pot in the 60’s.  To summarize it, Psychiatrists said, We have folks in there that don’t need to be.  Turn-’em lose, said the politicians, looking to spend the money on something else.  The result, to coin a movie title, we went “A Bridge To Far”.

This is the hidden content, please

8 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Maybe it’s just an amusing story to make a political point, directed at the majority of homeless who are in that situation because they want to be, or made bad life altering decisions.  Some years back, in an effort to reduce the number of homeless in Miami, the city acquired some land outside the city limits, and setup Mobil homes.  It was free.  They had very few takers.  You may find it hard to believe, but many like that life.  America has a history of homelessness, but years ago they were referred to as hobos.  Hobos had to keep moving because most towns & cities had laws against vagrancy that they actually enforced.

Bottom line, you can hardly joke or tell amusing stories without someone getting offended.  The little story above only said “homeless”, it didn’t say, or imply mentally ill.  Only people it’s acceptable to make fun of now is white southerners and Aggies.  Everything else is taboo.  Yes, our mental illness facilities went to pot in the 60’s.  To summarize it, Psychiatrists said, We have folks in there that don’t need to be.  Turn-’em lose, said the politicians, looking to spend the money on something else.  The result, to coin a movie title, we went “A Bridge To Far”.

Hagar, you must have forgotten.  The evil white male Christian(especially those who have documented financial accomplishments) is responsible for all social /economic misfortune.  NONE of the misfortune was brought on to those folks by themselves.

5 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Hagar, you must have forgotten.  The evil white male Christian(especially those who have documented financial accomplishments) is responsible for all social /economic misfortune.  NONE of the misfortune was brought on to those folks by themselves.

Lol, mental lapse. 

56 minutes ago, Hagar said:

This^^^ I swear man, Snowflakes are killing everything, babies included. 

21 minutes ago, UT alum said:

I pay my share of income tax. I prefer MY money go to that than to Don Quixote’s windmills.

How about we spend federal dollars on federal items enumerated in the Constitution and let the states handle all the rest.

Don't you agree that would be so much better? (seems I'v read this somewhere)

Then we wouldn't have to worry about if trillions were going to be wasted by an R or a D at the federal level.

12 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Many of the homeless are homeless based on their OWN life decisions.

Many that I have come in contact with are Veterans. Some are mentally ill and no one wants to address It. Homelessness is not a choice. Brave men and women have returned from war and suffer from PTSD. I can only speak of what I see in the field. I guess it depends on what city or state you live in.

9 hours ago, Law Man said:

Many that I have come in contact with are Veterans. Some are mentally ill and no one wants to address It. Homelessness is not a choice. Brave men and women have returned from war and suffer from PTSD. I can only speak of what I see in the field. I guess it depends on what city or state you live in.

I agree there are some that are veterans. There s definitely an issue there that needs to be dealt with.  I mean illegals get better treatment then our veterans

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

Since when did we start separating veterans from their children?

What illegal alien would bring their children into a situation where there is a possibility of being separated from them? I also think the separation of kids from their parents is blown way out of proportion just for anti Trump sake. The same protocol was followed under Obama and beyond. 

If a veteran has kids, he probably has family that could take him in. Why is he homeless? These are questions that people should ask themselves before spewing out garbage.