Nederland Girls Soccer

dadofabulldog

My daughter has a friend that plays on that team.  The coach has changed up the positions of the girls.  They have one of the top scoring players playing in the midfield.  Let me tell you if he put these girls in the proper positions they would be unstoppable.  The talent on that team is unbelievable.  But it is good for opposing teams that can pack it in and get away with a 1-0 win because Nederland will definitely not score in this formation.

3 hours ago, LEEROY Jenkinss said:

My daughter has a friend that plays on that team.  The coach has changed up the positions of the girls.  They have one of the top scoring players playing in the midfield.  Let me tell you if he put these girls in the proper positions they would be unstoppable.  The talent on that team is unbelievable.  But it is good for opposing teams that can pack it in and get away with a 1-0 win because Nederland will definitely not score in this formation.

Ok thanks for the info. I'm assuming your talking about Sheppard? Makes sense why the scoring is down but doesn't make sense why she's not playing forward.  I would think with her up top she would draw in defenders and actually make opportunities to score for other players easier. She played up top last year and they scored plenty of goals. I'm curious of how many goals are being scored by other girls this year vs last year with her not playing up top. If I'm a coach on one of the teams in the district, I would be very happy to she her in the midfield. It makes it much easier to defend and keep a eye on her. IMO she is much more valuable to the team up top, rather playing midfield. I can promise you that none of the other teams want to see her up top. 

1 hour ago, dadofabulldog said:

Ok thanks for the info. I'm assuming your talking about Sheppard? Makes sense why the scoring is down but doesn't make sense why she's not playing forward.  I would think with her up top she would draw in defenders and actually make opportunities to score for other players easier. She played up top last year and they scored plenty of goals. I'm curious of how many goals are being scored by other girls this year vs last year with her not playing up top. If I'm a coach on one of the teams in the district, I would be very happy to she her in the midfield. It makes it much easier to defend and keep a eye on her. IMO she is much more valuable to the team up top, rather playing midfield. I can promise you that none of the other teams want to see her up top. 

Now the problem is if she is up front is there anyone that can set her up for success in the midfield.  We (PNG) are a very balanced team with a very good coach that understands where our girls fit.  I know most of the girls from club soccer but haven't seen them play, without MS up front they will struggle to score.

Oh yeah, they have about 3 girls that could get her the ball but one in particular would be my choice. She played midfield as a freshman and sophomore. Phebeo Short. She was asked to play defense because of a injury to Hughes. Nederland has a team full of capable defenders. They could be a very balanced team on both ends of the field. No reason this team couldn't average 2 to 3 goals a game. I will have a chance to see them in action Friday. 

Ya’ll are undefeated and just beat the #8 ranked team huh? Maybe he is trying to develope other scorers? He knows he can put Sheppard up top and score whenever. What happens when a team shuts her down and others cant score? So he may just be testing the waters until it really counts.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:25 PM, Eagle91 said:

Ya’ll are undefeated and just beat the #8 ranked team huh? Maybe he is trying to develope other scorers? He knows he can put Sheppard up top and score whenever. What happens when a team shuts her down and others cant score? So he may just be testing the waters until it really counts.

I had a chance to watch them Friday and I can see why the scoring is down this year.  I think it's more about the formation they play. Nederland has some other girls who can put it in the net but with Sheppard up top with them helps. In the 4-4-2 (which at times looked like a 4-5-1) your asking your outside girls to cover 80 yards of field. So what ends up happening is they sag more on the defensive side of the field. So when Nederland gets runs it ends up being 1 vs 4 or 2 vs 4. It's very difficult to score or even get shots versus good teams. IMO they should play a 4-3-3.  This will help spread the field and put more numbers up top because I also noticed that Nederland kept getting in there own way. It's way to congested. This is from my perspective. To me the 5 yard passes they were doing is useless. I hope they figure it out because the team I saw Friday will be lucky to finish 3rd.