Lumberton At Silsbee

Who That

Yeah, I remember now.  A lot of Silsbee's team was still playing football when they lost to Lumberton.  Now Airman Barnes had a good game on the boards against Yates in Huntsville.   The week before I saw them play Kashmere at Lee College in Baytown.  That Holmes/Elam back court could press, trap and run with the best of them.  

If that team had played Lumberton later in the season it would have been a blow out.

33 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Reed was the most indispensable player on that team imo.  He was a monster on the boards.   Missing him and the leading scorer Elam...talk about a different team.  

Totally agree about Patrick Reed.

His last game was the loss to Yates in playoffs. Yates had 4 players '6"6 or better that played that night. Patrick at '6"2 , finished with 25 points and 23 rebounds.

People say the Silsbee has never really had a post player since the 2010 season (Tigers had two players at '6"6 and '6"7 along with DC Stallworth at '6"5). But players like Reed and Kalon Barnes have provided that inside presence without being the prototypical post.

Yeah Willie Jones was 6'4 or 6'5. Also Silsbee had a kid back the 1st time they lost to Yates in the playoffs I think it name Thomas who lived in Silsbee moved to PA and moved back along with Jake Dobbins. I remember coach Sigler 1st year back and that heart breaking lost to Waco Lavega with 1.8 sec left in the Regional Finals. Think we were in the old 3A. 

9 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I heard recently heard that Bush is was a phenomenal football player as well. 

So was McCain.  Saw him play in jr high.  Kid was electric and was easily the best player on the field that particular night. 

I think he and Bush may have been on the same team at the time (Devon was a 7th grader) - can’t remember if that was before Bush went to Legacy.  

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

So was McCain.  Saw him play in jr high.  Kid was electric and was easily the best player on the field that particular night.  

Sigler not let em play? It is a shame. it is highschool, those boys need to be playing everything they can, especially if they can be significant contributors. You never get this time back. 

13 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Sigler not let em play? It is a shame. it is highschool, those boys need to be playing everything they can, especially if they can be significant contributors. You never get this time back. 

Sigler has always (as long as I’ve been following anyway) had very integral parts of his team play both so I would say definitely not (i.e., he doesn’t interfere with them playing).  McCain’s big brother ended up with a football schollie.  Every kid and his family makes their own decision.  

You could tell Devon was going to be a D1 player years ago.  The only question was how high.  Those scholarships are worth a lot of money and I don’t blame the kids who don’t want to risk it on the gridiron when hoops is their ticket.  And with Bush’s frame, I definitely wouldn’t want to be absorbing shots on that body when he’s another kid whose future is on the court.  

Reminds me of Chase Shugart in Bridge City a few years back.  Kid was a really talented QB who had already signed or committed to UT in baseball.  He and his family decided no football his senior year. He’s now slinging the ball for a living.  

4 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Sigler has always (as long as I’ve been following anyway) had very integral parts of his team play both so I would say definitely not.  McCain’s big brother ended up with a football schollie.  Every kid and his family makes their own decision.  

You could tell Devon was going to be a D1 player years ago.  The only question was how high.  Those scholarships are worth a lot of money and I don’t blame the kids who don’t want to risk it on the gridiron when hoops is their ticket.  And with Bush’s frame, I definitely wouldn’t want to be absorbing shots on that body when he’s another kid whose future is on the court.  

Where is McCain going? Last I heard, that I can remember, Baylor was recruiting him?

9 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Sigler has always (as long as I’ve been following anyway) had very integral parts of his team play both so I would say definitely not (i.e., he doesn’t interfere with them playing).  McCain’s big brother ended up with a football schollie.  Every kid and his family makes their own decision.  

Reminds me of Chase Shugart in Bridge City a few years back.  Kid was a really talented QB who had already signed or committed to UT in baseball.  He and his family decided no football his senior year. He’s now slinging the ball for a living.  

Also, see my post in the "Locker Room"

52 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I heard recently heard that Bush is was a phenomenal football player as well. 

I don't recall Bush playing football in school. Could be wrong.

Now Jordyn Adams was a very good QB in middle school.

Also, I would love to see Devon on the football field. I think he would be a monster at Safety or OLB like his older brother.

48 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

As far as I know, Sigler does not discourage his players from playing other sports. He currently has 5 on varsity that played football this season. A season that went to December.

5 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I don't recall Bush playing football in school. Could be wrong.

Now Jordyn Adams was a very good QB in middle school.

Also, I would love to see Devon on the football field. I think he would be a monster at Safety or OLB like his older brother.

Yeah I had a buddy of mine telling me the other day about how much they would have helped. Can't help but see those two or three putting Silsbee over the hump against Cuero this year.

I think I remember Bush playing football, just not in middle school.  May have been pee wee.  But I know Devon played in middle school.  Back then, he was one of the shorter players on the team but was probably one of the faster players as well.  

Devin did consider football his senior year, at least that's what he told me last school year.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:04 PM, stevenash said:

You may be right if you honestly believe the addition of one player somehow makes the perimeter defenders more likely to cause turnovers.  If an opponent got the game to  be decided in the last 30 seconds, they did not play too fast.  As for the third quarter "pull away", if if was possible, it would have happened.

I think I can remember seeing a pic of Bush in a football uniform.  Thought it was at Legacy but may not have been it’s been a while since I saw it and I am getting old.....

50 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I think I remember Bush playing football, just not in middle school.  May have been pee wee.  But I know Devon played in middle school.  Back then, he was one of the shorter players on the team but was probably one of the faster players as well.  

Devin did consider football his senior year, at least that's what he told me last school year.

Yep Devon told me he was thinking about playing football this last year. But he decided to stay in the gym. And in middle School hardly anyone could touch him when he had the ball but he was like 5'8 - 5'9 at the time lol The young man shot up :)

17 minutes ago, Who That said:

Yep Devon told me he was thinking about playing football this last year. But he decided to stay in the gym. And in middle School hardly anyone could touch him when he had the ball but he was like 5'8 - 5'9 at the time lol The young man shot up :)

5'8" was being a little generous.  lol