Lumberton At Silsbee

Who That

The eventual state 5A champion beat the Raiders 78 - 53 and 79 - 42 last year.  I suppose a safe prediction would have it about the same on Friday - a 25 to 30 point win - all things being equal.  But you never know.  

I'd be surprised if the Raiders can slow the tempo enough to make it really close.  They don't have the size or the width.  

Having been present for most of the Tigers games for the last few years I could offer some pointers to the Raiders.  All turnovers are NOT the same.  A stolen pass is worse than getting tied up.  An easy layup the other way is worse than a 10 second violation.  I've never seen the Tigers get a fast break off an inbounds on their own end.  Just FYI.

8 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

The eventual state 5A champion beat the Raiders 78 - 53 and 79 - 42 last year.  I suppose a safe prediction would have it about the same on Friday - a 25 to 30 point win - all things being equal.  But you never know.  

I'd be surprised if the Raiders can slow the tempo enough to make it really close.  They don't have the size or the width.  

Having been present for most of the Tigers games for the last few years I could offer some pointers to the Raiders.  All turnovers are NOT the same.  A stolen pass is worse than getting tied up.  An easy layup the other way is worse than a 10 second violation.  I've never seen the Tigers get a fast break off an inbounds on their own end.  Just FYI.

Well there goes the three peat...you have let the secret out of the bag. 

56 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Last Friday night is a good illustration of your statement(s)

19 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

You lost!!!

My point was that, in the last 10 years, our guards dealt with the pressure better than they have in the past and I don't recall an intercepted half court pass that turned into a layup for the opposition.  I saw the game( haven't missed one since 2000) and am therefore qualified to make that observation.  I believe that has MUCH to do with the predictions of a 25-30 point blowout being inaccurate.

6 minutes ago, stevenash said:

My point was that, in the last 10 years, our guards dealt with the pressure better than they have in the past and I don't recall an intercepted half court pass that turned into a layup for the opposition.  I saw the game( haven't missed one since 2000) and am therefore qualified to make that observation.  I believe that has MUCH to do with the predictions of a 25-30 point blowout being inaccurate.

HJ still played too fast.  Against a full strength Silsbee HJ doesn't have much of a shot playing they way they did Friday.  And more importantly they don't have a prayer against Yates.  And the Hawks will likely face Yates in the third round.  Coach Davis needs to give Coach Perkins at Argyle a call.  There is a way.

And even shorthanded, there was a moment in the third when the Tigers might have pulled away.  Coach Davis was forced to call a timeout because Silsbee had built up a 14 point lead in the middle of the 3rd.  It had the desired effect, the Hawks rallied.  Plus, I think the Tigers had that 35 point blowout in their heads as they went to the side.  Totally unrealistic.  They got out of the moment and into the future which is always bad.

10 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

HJ still played too fast.  Against a full strength Silsbee HJ doesn't have much of a shot playing they way they did Friday.  And more importantly they don't have a prayer against Yates.  And the Hawks will likely face Yates in the third round.  Coach Davis needs to give Coach Perkins at Argyle a call.  There is a way.

And even shorthanded, there was a moment in the third when the Tigers might have pulled away.  Coach Davis was forced to call a timeout because Silsbee had built up a 14 point lead in the middle of the 3rd.  It had the desired effect, the Hawks rallied.  Plus, I think the Tigers had that 35 point blowout in their heads as they went to the side.  Totally unrealistic.  They got out of the moment and into the future which is always bad.

You may be right if you honestly believe the addition of one player somehow makes the perimeter defenders more likely to cause turnovers.  If an opponent got the game to  be decided in the last 30 seconds, they did not play too fast.  As for the third quarter "pull away", if if was possible, it would have happened.

23 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

I would agree on your statement! HJ will beat Yates or keep it close for sure IMO. 

Not playing they way they did Friday.  Yates will eat them up, 20 points minimum.  The Hawks can do either of two things.  They can keep playing the way they are and be content to make it to the third round or they can alter the experiment and totally take the air out of be ball.  See to it that nobody even gets to 50.  Patience to the point of boredom.

They aren't going to San Antonio.  They aren't going to beat Yates and Silsbee.  Not gonna happen.  But they just might be able to get to Johnson Coliseum. 

42 minutes ago, stevenash said:

You may be right if you honestly believe the addition of one player somehow makes the perimeter defenders more likely to cause turnovers.  If an opponent got the game to  be decided in the last 30 seconds, they did not play too fast.  As for the third quarter "pull away", if if was possible, it would have happened.

Not everything that is possible actually happens.  Not everything that didn't happen was impossible.  

And yes, one player can make that big a difference, if that player was the MVP of the state tournament last year.  I'll go further, McCain is indispensable to the Tigers if they hope to repeat.  He's not the only indispensable player but he's one of them.  The Tigers don't have a center or even a true forward.  They are a team of guards really and that means they will have to be firing on all cylinders to make it to the championship game.  They weren't firing on all cylinders Friday night explaining the closeness of the game.  It's almost mathematical actually.

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

Not everything that is possible actually happens.  Not everything that didn't happen was impossible.  

And yes, one player can make that big a difference, if that player was the MVP of the state tournament last year.  I'll go further, McCain is indispensable to the Tigers if they hope to repeat.  He's not the only indispensable player but he's one of them.  The Tigers don't have a center or even a true forward.  They are a team of guards really and that means they will have to be firing on all cylinders to make it to the championship game.  They weren't firing on all cylinders Friday night explaining the closeness of the game.  It's almost mathematical actually.

Not everything that is possible actually happens-(agree) I guess you mean by that the HJ player who attempted the three point shot with 3 seconds to go missed it and might have made it or because he got fouled and not given the opportunity to shoot free throws?   Or maybe you mean the Silsbee point guard might have missed some of those 3 pt attempts 6 ft behind the arc?

Am gonna need you to explain your contention that the insertion of McCAin in the lineup makes the HJ backcourt turn it over.  I have watched the films and disagree.

Can you also tell me what other 4A teams the tigers have beaten by a 3 point margin?

I have seen the films of the game and I will stand by my original contention.

27 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Not everything that is possible actually happens-(agree) I guess you mean by that the HJ player who attempted the three point shot with 3 seconds to go missed it and might have made it or because he got fouled and not given the opportunity to shoot free throws?   Or maybe you mean the Silsbee point guard might have missed some of those 3 pt attempts 6 ft behind the arc?

Am gonna need you to explain your contention that the insertion of McCAin in the lineup makes the HJ backcourt turn it over.  I have watched the films and disagree.

Can you also tell me what other 4A teams the tigers have beaten by a 3 point margin?

You and that shot lmao.!!! I promise you it want be that way the next game..lol It will be a beat down. :)