From The Files Of "That It's All About The Coaching!"

Reagan

On 1/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, Reagan said:

Tom Westerberg is a proven coaching commodity.  This is only his third year.  He didn't win his 1st State Championship until the 5th year.  Give a chance.  But, if he can't, as in anything, nothing is 100%. 

Yeah because he doesn’t have Kyler Murray.. which I’m pretty sure was a player not a coach 

On 14/01/2019 at 6:39 AM, Reagan said:

Art Briles at Stephenville.  It took him 6 years to win his first State Championship.  The next 7 years -- Briles won 4 State Championships.  Stephenville had never won one before Briles arrived.  They did win one after.  But not since 2012.  Again, same question about the "move-ins".  Only happened while Briles was there? 

Anybody remember the whole steriod issue during this time? Know there is not proof but alot of rumors been going around for some time.

Considering y'all mentioned Stephenville and Brownwood, y'all should know that region is not a good one to use to compare to down here. Every school around there has equal talent. Just look over the years they have all had their runs. Stephenville and Brownwood are most known because they won state (as did May and Richland Springs), but nowadays De Leon and Comanche are good. Goldthwaite and Dublin have been good. Years will Blanket, Gustine, Zephyr, have been good. Early and Bangs. In that region it is coaching, but the players are much different. One coach there makes a difference because the players are the same. In Beaumont it is different. Not all teams are equal. Some schools have more talent than others and can get by.

As for Aledo, they will be better under Buchanan. Not that Wood is not a good coach, but Tim built that program from nothing and he has always been around. He has everyone's respect. Next year will be worse than this year for 5A D2. The only negative from this coaching change is the special teams. For some reason Buchanan would never give that up.

14 hours ago, L-Train11 said:
14 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

Yeah because he doesn’t have Kyler Murray.. which I’m pretty sure was a player not a coach 

I appreciate your comment.  But let's example what you are attempting to imply about Allen when Westerberg was there. Before Westerberg, Allen had NEVER won a State Championship.  Westerberg got there in 2004.  It took him 5 years to win State.  He won State in 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014.  Between 2006 and 2015, Westerberg won 10 or more games.  So, the salient question is:  Was Kyler Murrey there for ALL of the State Championships?  I don't think so.  Anyway, one player does not make a team.  Not doubt this one player helped.  But, if one good player at QB is all it takes -- then PN-G is two-time State Champions!  Oh wait...

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

I appreciate your comment.  But let's example what you are attempting to imply about Allen when Westerberg was there. Before Westerberg, Allen had NEVER won a State Championship.  Westerberg got there in 2004.  It took him 5 years to win State.  He won State in 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014.  Between 2006 and 2015, Westerberg won 10 or more games.  So, the salient question is:  Was Kyler Murrey there for ALL of the State Championships?  I don't think so.  Anyway, one player does not make a team.  Not doubt this one player helped.  But, if one good player at QB is all it takes -- then PN-G is two-time State Champions!  Oh wait...

Again, any mid-county school paying 154K for a Head Football Coach?

19 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Again, any mid-county school paying 154K for a Head Football Coach?

I see your point.  But -- has any mid-county coach won 6 State Championships like Surratt has?  Has any mid-county coach won 1?  It's like anything else in life -- production equals value!

11 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I see your point.  But -- has any mid-county coach won 6 State Championships like Surratt has?  Has any mid-county coach won 1?  It's like anything else in life -- production equals value!

You get what you pay for, like anything else. Want better quality (anything) pay more money. Would a guy like Surratt or TW ever think about coming to Nederland?

The answer is no. They do not pay well and there facilities are a absolute embarrassment. They like to pretend they take football seriously, but in the grand scheme of the State, they don't. Which is okay. Not every school has to go all out for football and build nice facilities and unload a BRINKS truck for a coach, just don't complain when you don't get the Grand Prize.

5 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

You get what you pay for 

I see it a hair different.  One gets compensated for a job well done.  I'm sure Surratt didn't start off making that much.  I'm sure he was compensated after each State Championship.  Now, if you are saying you dangle $154,000 out there and then you will get a State Championship caliber coach, well, that's possible!

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Allen won State after TW left as well. So the salient question is: did Allen need TW to win State or the right group of kids to come along?

7 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I see it a hair different.  One gets compensated for a job well done.  I'm sure Surratt didn't start off making that much.  I'm sure he was compensated after each State Championship.  Now, if you are saying you dangle $154,000 out there and then you will get a State Championship caliber coach, well, that's possible!

Surely you don't believe that Surratt or TW or Bill Belichek can roll into Hardin and in 5-10 years have a State Championship, barring move ins who come wanting to play for them?

6 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Allen won State after TW left as well. So the salient question is: did Allen need TW to win State or the right group of kids to come along?

True, they did win 1 after.  But never won before he got there.  Then TW wins 4.  So, only the "right group of kids" came along only when TW got there?  Maybe.  But...

5 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Surely you don't believe that Surratt or TW or Bill Belichek can roll into Hardin and in 5-10 years have a State Championship, barring move ins who come wanting to play for them?

Nothing is 100%.  Plus i don't deal in speculation.  With these being championship coaches -- are you 100% sure that they couldn't. 

6 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Nothing is 100%.  Plus i don't deal in speculation.  With these being championship coaches -- are you 100% sure that they couldn't. 

Yup, I would bet my life on it. Without move ins, Warren does not produce the talent to win a State Championship at their current classification., no offense Warren peeps. 

TW won 3 titles in a row once he got Kyler Murray. A Heisman winner and likely 1st round draft pick.

How come he only won 1 in the other 9 years? Could it possibly be he needed a Kyler Murray type talent?

Look at it like this Reagan. Coaches get the GOAT stigma for winning multiple titles. Many coaches around the State win 1 title. Hell, the WB coach, in his 2nd year almost got one at the highest level (lost by 1 point). So the premise is multiple titles would make you elite.

TW, in 9 years, at the largest school in the State, with all the built in advantages, and got . He got his "multiple titles", which made him elite by running of 3 years in a row. Did he magically become the greatest coach in the State?

No, he got a 1st round NFL QB to come play at his school. (Murray was a move in). He's a great coach, that just so happened to be at the largest school in the State. And he also just so happened to have a once in a generational player "move in", to catapult his career into the "elite" status by winning multiple titles in a row.

BH can be good under TW. They can compete for district sometimes. They should be in the playoffs every year. But, did you watch the 5A State Championships? Unless they get some kids move in, BH can't compete with that. 

How long does TW have to go without even winning the district before you would say "yeah, he just don't have the same talent"?

24 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Yup, I would bet my life on it. Without move ins, Warren does not produce the talent to win a State Championship at their current classification., no offense Warren peeps. 

TW won 3 titles in a row once he got Kyler Murray. A Heisman winner and likely 1st round draft pick.

How come he only won 1 in the other 9 years? Could it possibly be he needed a Kyler Murray type talent?

I really don't think you would make that bet!  I have another one for you, and the forum:  I watched Liberty Hill play.  You look at their kids and they look no different than the kids at Vidor.  Vidor and Liberty Hill run the same offense.  One played for the State Championship and one didn't even make it out of the district.  Coaching or players?

4 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I have another one for you, and the forum:  I watched Liberty Hill play.  You look at their kids and they look no different than the kids at Vidor.  Vidor and Liberty Hill run the same offense.  One played for the State Championship and one didn't even make it out of the district.  Coaching or players?

Just because they are white don't mean a thing. That is kinda an ignorant thing to say.

Funny how you ignored everything I said, to respond with that.

Guest ECBucFan

Kyler was certainly the highest profile recruit, but Allen got recruits en masse through the last 10 years or so. Their whole starting backfeild and most of the top recievers are move in recruits. The Dallas Morning News just produced a 3 part expose about Allens recruiting. Kyler was just the tip of the Westerber.., (I mean) tip of the ICEBERG.   

1 hour ago, Tigers2010 said:
1 hour ago, Tigers2010 said:

If all it takes is to have a talented QB, even though their are 21 other positions, then why didn't PN-G win State the past 2 years?  If Westerberg was their coach, going by what you are implying, he would have coaching PN-G.

5 minutes ago, Reagan said:

If all it takes is to have a talented QB, even though their are 21 other positions, then why didn't PN-G win State the past 2 years?  If Westerberg was their coach, going by what you are implying, he would have coaching PN-G.

RJ is good. Kyler Murray is a 1st round draft pick. There is a difference. Nobody said that's all it takes.

You continue implying that it all takes is a great coach. It doesn't. It takes superior coaching and significant talent. Both. Period. This is a dead horse conversation.