From The Files Of "That It's All About The Coaching!"

Reagan

This is from the Aledo thread:  Aledo's H/C moving to A/D.  Aledo's A/D is moving back to his old H/C job at Aledo.  The new/old H/C is Tim Buchanan.  There's much talk about Aledo keeps getting "move-ins" is the reason they win.  Well -- check out this from the article:  " Buchanan took his first head coaching job in Aledo in 1993 and has served in the district 25 years. He took the Bearcats from a struggling program to a regular championship contender. He led Aledo to its first title in 1998 and followed with titles in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013."  What -- Aledo never got good transfers before he showed up??  Again -- its all about the coach!

This is the hidden content, please

Gordon Wood at Brownwood between 1960 and 1985:  Wood won 7 State Championships.  No State Championships before or after him.  He won State the 1st year he was there.  Prior to Brownwood, Wood had already won 2 State Championships at Stamford.   So -- I guess at Brownwood there were not any ":move-ins" before or after Gordon Wood. 

Let's look at G.A Moore at Celina:  He was at Celina two different times.  During these two different times, he won 6 State ChampionshipsDid not ever win one before him.  Won 2 after him.  But none since 2007.  Did "move-ins" only happen when G.A. Moore got there? 

22 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Let's look at G.A Moore at Celina:  He was at Celina two different times.  During these two different times, he won 6 State ChampionshipsDid not ever win one before him.  Won 2 after him.  But none since 2007.  Did "move-ins" only happen when G.A. Moore got there? 

OK, so you don't like Barrow or Faircloth.  Who do YOU think should coach the Bulldogs and Indians.

34 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

OK, so you don't like Barrow or Faircloth.  Who do YOU think should coach the Bulldogs and Indians.

There's an ongoing debate as to what makes a team.  The players or the coaches.  I'm trying to prove it's coaching.   So, from what I've issued so far, not sure where you are getting your conclusion!

5 minutes ago, Reagan said:

There's an ongoing debate as to what makes a team.  The players or the coaches.  I'm trying to prove it's coaching.   So, from what I've issued so far, not sure where you are getting your conclusion!

The mounds and mounds of posts that you make is where I am getting my conclusions.

19 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Players or coaches?  Here are two examples for you that are relevant.

Barbers Hill Football.  Is it the players...or the coach?
Kountze Basketball.  Is it the players...or the coach?

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Players or coaches?  Here are two examples for you that are relevant.

Tom Westerberg is a proven coaching commodity.  This is only his third year.  He didn't win his 1st State Championship until the 5th year.  Give a chance.  But, if he can't, as in anything, nothing is 100%. 

7 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Tom Westerberg is a proven coaching commodity.  This is only his third year.  He didn't win his 1st State Championship until the 5th year.  Give a chance.  But, if he can't, as in anything, nothing is 100%. 

Well, people already claim that they should at least be winning a playoff game by now.  Not me..people.  But ok.

What about Kountze Basketball?  He's been there over a decade...that long enough?

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Well, people already claim that they should at least be winning a playoff game by now.  Not me..people.  But ok.

What about Kountze Basketball?  He's been there over a decade...that long enough?

Not talking about Basketball.  Strictly football.

11 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Not talking about Basketball.  Strictly football.

Oh I gotcha... so coaching only matters in football?  Alright, then how about Cornell Thompson?  Why didn't WOS win state this last year?  Come to think of it...they didn't even get out of the region.  Is he not as good of a coach as he was?

Scott Surratt?

Art Briles at Stephenville.  It took him 6 years to win his first State Championship.  The next 7 years -- Briles won 4 State Championships.  Stephenville had never won one before Briles arrived.  They did win one after.  But not since 2012.  Again, same question about the "move-ins".  Only happened while Briles was there? 

36 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Art Briles at Stephenville.  It took him 6 years to win his first State Championship.  The next 7 years -- Briles won 4 State Championships.  Stephenville had never won one before Briles arrived.  They did win one after.  But not since 2012.  Again, same question about the "move-ins".  Only happened while Briles was there? 

Just gonna ignore my question?  That's alright... I could make you a list of all of the football coaches that won state titles and never even came close afterward...but I won't.

Think whatever you want to think.

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Oh I gotcha... so coaching only matters in football?  Alright, then how about Cornell Thompson?  Why didn't WOS win state this last year?  Come to think of it...they didn't even get out of the region.  Is he not as good of a coach as he was?

Scott Surratt?

Again, nothing is 100% guaranteed.  I'll have more info on Surratt shortly.

Scott Surratt at Carthage:  It took him only 1 year to win State.  In his 12 years there, Scott has won 6 State Championships.  Carthage had NOT won State before Surratt got there.  Again, no "move-ins" before he got there.  Only "good move-ins" since he's been there?  I think not.  It was his coaching that done it!

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

Scott Surratt at Carthage:  It took him only 1 year to win State.  In his 12 years there, Scott has won 6 State Championships.  Carthage had NOT won State before Surratt got there.  Again, no "move-ins" before he got there.  Only "good move-ins" since he's been there?  I think not.  It was his coaching that done it!

Surratt was at LCM in 1994 and we  went 10-0 and district champs we should have hired that guy. 

20 hours ago, Reagan said:

Surratt makes 154K. Any mid-county school paying that?

On 1/14/2019 at 2:39 PM, Reagan said:

Its both.  Coaches and players.  There have been plenty of good coaches that don't have the kids to compete every year.   And there have been teams that are plenty talented that haven't done anything much in district or the playoffs, including a few around here.  If you take either one from the equation it fails.

Guest ECBucFan
On 1/14/2019 at 1:34 PM, oldschool2 said:

Ten years ago I posed the question here:

What if Curtis Barbay had coached his whole career at Warren? What if Dan Hooks would have only coached at Huntington? 

No one wanted to touch that. 

Guest ECBucFan
On 1/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, Reagan said:

TW proved he could coach a team loaded with 3, 4, and 5 star imports and with future Heisman QB Kyler Murry, who moved from Lewisville to Allen for athletic purposes.  

TW does not have the recruitment system at BH he had at Allen. In three years BH has not won a single playoff game and even finished 5th once. 

You think BH will win state in 2 more years?  

On 1/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, Reagan said:

Barbers Hill will not win state in football at the 5A level, with or without Westerberg

23 hours ago, Reagan said:

I’m going to say you’re fooling yourself if you don’t think that some of those piney woods kids are deciding to play at Carthage instead of Timpson, Garrison or Beckville.