Silsbee 79 Hardin-Jefferson 76/FINAL

WOSgrad

Not impressed with fans that want to rag on a bunch of HS kids holding signs.  They’re having a good time, not hurting anyone.  Good grief, that shouldn’t bother Silsbee fans.  It’s more of a tribute to Tiger supremacy.  Jmo

Congrats to both teams for a great game.  Can do nothing but help both going into the playoffs. 

This game took me back a few years to when this was really a rivalry.  First off let me say great game by the Hawks.  If there is one thing i can say that has alway been there for HJ it is that they never quit.  You can never ease up with a lead you have to play the entire night.  Now in saying that i dont feel the Tigers let up tonight.  Two things that were in the Hawks favor tonight were Devon being benched and the officiating, and no not that it was one sided.  It was called pretty tight taking away some of our defensive tenacity.  Only thing that i can say that was kind of questionable as far as the officiating is how physical the play under the basket was at times with no fouls and yet in transition and out front they called many touch fouls.  It seemed like for most of the night that every time the Tigers made a play or big shot to try to build a lead,  HJ would hit a big shot on the other end.  We finally got out to a nice lead and HJ started making their way back and we looked like we were rushing shots there for a bit.  We finally settled down and pulled it out.  Great game by these Tigers to hang in there and fight ang get the win without one of their leaders.  That player would have made a big difference tonight rebounding and getting the ball inside.  The Hj big man got two fouls and spent the majority of the first half on the bench.  That would have reall opened it up for Devon’s game. I thought when Persohn was in there the rest of the Tigers did a good job tonight not letting him really dictate things.  I am glad to see my Tigers pull out a game like this one and cant wait for round two but i expect it to be a “little” different.

Now with that said as far as that leader goes, he knows i have been one of his biggest fans from day 1 and will continue to be.  I will not guess why he may have missed practice if thats the case but if is so i will say i hope this game lets you see how much you mean to your brothers out there on the court.  Whatever the situation is it needs to be fixed now. I know how much the game and your teammates means to you.  There are only about 15 possible games left in your senior season.  Then you get to step on a bigger stage.  You have a chance to really be a legacy.  This year should be for you and your team go out there and show them what a leader does and create memories that will last forever.  

7 hours ago, ST413 said:

This game took me back a few years to when this was really a rivalry.  First off let me say great game by the Hawks.  If there is one thing i can say that has alway been there for HJ it is that they never quit.  You can never ease up with a lead you have to play the entire night.  Now in saying that i dont feel the Tigers let up tonight.  Two things that were in the Hawks favor tonight were Devon being benched and the officiating, and no not that it was one sided.  It was called pretty tight taking away some of our defensive tenacity.  Only thing that i can say that was kind of questionable as far as the officiating is how physical the play under the basket was at times with no fouls and yet in transition and out front they called many touch fouls.  It seemed like for most of the night that every time the Tigers made a play or big shot to try to build a lead,  HJ would hit a big shot on the other end.  We finally got out to a nice lead and HJ started making their way back and we looked like we were rushing shots there for a bit.  We finally settled down and pulled it out.  Great game by these Tigers to hang in there and fight ang get the win without one of their leaders.  That player would have made a big difference tonight rebounding and getting the ball inside.  The Hj big man got two fouls and spent the majority of the first half on the bench.  That would have reall opened it up for Devon’s game. I thought when Persohn was in there the rest of the Tigers did a good job tonight not letting him really dictate things.  I am glad to see my Tigers pull out a game like this one and cant wait for round two but i expect it to be a “little” different.

Now with that said as far as that leader goes, he knows i have been one of his biggest fans from day 1 and will continue to be.  I will not guess why he may have missed practice if thats the case but if is so i will say i hope this game lets you see how much you mean to your brothers out there on the court.  Whatever the situation is it needs to be fixed now. I know how much the game and your teammates means to you.  There are only about 15 possible games left in your senior season.  Then you get to step on a bigger stage.  You have a chance to really be a legacy.  This year should be for you and your team go out there and show them what a leader does and create memories that will last forever.  

Very well said!!! Neveret family down. Seems those kids have a tight bond with each other. Let's put this behind and move forward.

10 hours ago, Hagar said:

Not impressed with fans that want to rag on a bunch of HS kids holding signs.  They’re having a good time, not hurting anyone.  Good grief, that shouldn’t bother Silsbee fans.  It’s more of a tribute to Tiger supremacy.  Jmo

Congrats to both teams for a great game.  Can do nothing but help both going into the playoffs. 

I like HJ's student section. Keeps the game atmosphere exciting. Wish more schools did this...I believe they fired up a few Silsbee players too. Makes it fun. 

One of the signs was inappropriate.  And I don't understand the logic of calling your arch rival "overrated".  If they are overrated and you beat them, so what.  But if they are not overrated and you beat them then it is a big deal.  But I get it, knucklehead teenagers are instinctively illogical in such situations.  I was a knucklehead teen myself but not an illogical one.

For my part I'm a little disturbed that the Tigers had such trouble with the 17th ranked team.  Does that bode well for the future?  Especially since Yates has soft-recruited two new big men just recently.  If I'm holding up a sign about the Hawks it will say "Underrated".  

But anyway.  What did McCain's absence mean?  Even the most conservative guess would be a 10 point swing.  And a 15 point swing is not unreasonable.  After all, he was MVP of the 4A Tourny.  I think we could have done better at denying Persohn the ball.  Plus we might have been able to clean up better on both ends.

Persohn was impressive.  We didn't really have an answer for him.  He's really not that tall but he can sure find his way to the basket.  

This whole page is just a bunch of fun and games. There is alot of use on hear that talk alot of smack to each other. Just like them kids holding them signs that's all fine and dandy. Talking a little smack about it is all fine and dandy too. But alot of folks get but hurt about it. Well these forums been like this for years. Alot of use have friends in all these towns and we talk alot of smack to each other bottom line. HJ has a great Basketball team witch so does Silsbee. So like I" said it's all just a bunch of fun and games.

Silsbee wont beat everyone with Devon by 30 or 40. HJ got a moral victory last night. Their listing streak vs Silsbee is still like 6 or 7 and they are like 3-16 over the last 19 games. Silsbee needs to focus on defense as the offense will be there. I have full confidence in every player on that team who knows there roll. Lockdown dense opens the door for offense. 

42 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

One of the signs was inappropriate.  And I don't understand the logic of calling your arch rival "overrated".  If they are overrated and you beat them, so what.  But if they are not overrated and you beat them then it is a big deal.  But I get it, knucklehead teenagers are instinctively illogical in such situations.  I was a knucklehead teen myself but not an illogical one.

For my part I'm a little disturbed that the Tigers had such trouble with the 17th ranked team.  Does that bode well for the future?  Especially since Yates has soft-recruited two new big men just recently.  If I'm holding up a sign about the Hawks it will say "Underrated".  

But anyway.  What did McCain's absence mean?  Even the most conservative guess would be a 10 point swing.  And a 15 point swing is not unreasonable.  After all, he was MVP of the 4A Tourny.  I think we could have done better at denying Persohn the ball.  Plus we might have been able to clean up better on both ends.

Persohn was impressive.  We didn't really have an answer for him.  He's really not that tall but he can sure find his way to the basket.  

Persohn is impressive.  But i feel like those Tigers on the court last night did a good job at limiting his game while he was on the court.  Yes his stats are pretty much limited to half the game but evidently he scored less than 10 pts.  He was a good part of the come back yet several times i saw the Tigers knock 5he ball out of hishands or keep him from scoring.  That was with three or 4 different players guarding him and getting help at times.

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

As good as the Tigers are and they are super the one thing that stands out is their PG play. Every time I've watched the young man I just say WOW. Bush is no doubt the engine that drives the Tiger train. 

This!  I've been saying this all year.  When Bray plays good, Tigers win...  If not, they lose it seems..

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

You are very illogical if you think signs from a student section, that calls themselves “hecklers”, are inappropriate. You are a fool. Let the kids have fun, and heckle. As long as they aren’t cussing or throwing things on the court, they should be able to get as rowdy as they want... that is what makes these games fun. 

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Wasn't there, but saw a pic of scoreboard at end of 3rd Q. Silsbee led 61-56 and led in fouls, 10-4. 10 fouls in one quarter? Must of been a tight crew.

Wonder what the total foul count ended up being?

Dont know it was tight except under the basket.....I saw several touch fouls in the backcourt yet lots of banging underneath.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Wasn't there, but saw a pic of scoreboard at end of 3rd Q. Silsbee led 61-56 and led in fouls, 10-4. 10 fouls in one quarter? Must of been a tight crew.

Wonder what the total foul count ended up being?

Extremely aggressive defense should expect to bring about lots of foul calls.  Take a look at the final HJ shot of the game and tell me, in any imaginable way, that the player knocked to the floor was not fouled.

32 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I saw that last shot...  Out of a panel of 10 refs, all of them would've called that foul.  That kid should definitely be shooting 3 free throws...

Respect that about you.   Disagree with you at times but you call em like you see em, even when it’s against your rooting interest.  Agree completely.   I also saw the video.   Most refs don’t like to make that call but defender took a terrible angle and completely leveled the shooter.   Way too much contact to swallow the whistle.   Horrible no call.   Making 3 FTs under that type of pressure situation is very tough, even for a really good FT shooter like that kid apparently is.  But he should have had an opportunity.  

15 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Respect that about you.   Disagree with you at times but you call em like you see em, even when it’s against your rooting interest.  Agree completely.   I also saw the video.   Most refs don’t like to make that call but defender took a terrible angle and completely leveled the shooter.   Way too much contact to swallow the whistle.   Horrible no call.   Making 3 FTs under that type of pressure situation is very tough, even for a really good FT shooter like that kid apparently is.  But he should have had an opportunity.  

I have to take everyone’s word for it....i was only paying attention to whether or not the shot went in.  I never like to see HJ that close at the end!!!!! But it was fun to have the feel of several years ago..if only the Tiger fans would have chanted Back to Back in response to the hj chants!!

20 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Now, my personal opinion, not relevant here, I think if the foul doesn't effect the shot (fouls after ball is released) , it shouldn't be called.  Again, just my personal opinion.

But in real life this call is made every time.  and the ref can't say that this is one of those bang bang calls either...  

9 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Now, my personal opinion, not relevant here, I think if the foul doesn't effect the shot (fouls after ball is released) , it shouldn't be called.  Again, just my personal opinion.

But in real life this call is made every time.  and the ref can't say that this is one of those bang bang calls either...  

Could have been called, but it had been a football game in the paint the entire game with not many fouls called. They let them play. 

14 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Now, my personal opinion, not relevant here, I think if the foul doesn't effect the shot (fouls after ball is released) , it shouldn't be called.  Again, just my personal opinion.

I think that’s why a lot of officials don’t like to make the call, especially on a buzzer beater.   I also see a lot of flopping on box outs and the like on those plays that shouldn’t be called imo either.  But the defender really didn’t leave the officials a choice in this scenario.  Took a straight on angle jumping directly into the shooter and made as much after the shot contact as I’ve ever seen (literally layed him out).   Maybe all 3 officials followed the ball to the rim after it was released and didn’t see it (like ST413).  That would make sense.  If they saw it and elected not to make it, it’s a really bad no call.