Silsbee at Hardin Jefferson Friday (Hardin County Havoc)

13 minutes ago, swamp123 said:

2015 @ Silsbee last HJ win

2016 @ Silsbee 72-62 Silsbee good game

the rest is a blur :(

I remember 2016 was a bittersweet year.  Beating HJ twice was huge of course.  A couple of things stand out.  One was the Regional semi-final game with Hudson.  They had a scrawny white kid who looked like the very definition of a scrub - about 5'11", maybe 150 pounds soaking wet. Obviously a JV kid brought up for the playoffs.  Couldn't make a shot from the 3 point line in warmup to save his life.  Actually we were wondering why Hudson had made it that far.  Teams come out for the tip - low and behold he's starting - then we find out why Hudson was there.  This poster child from Diary of a Wimpy Kid proceeds to completely chop us up.  On both ends.  He steals the ball from our guards, he scores in the paint and from the 3 point line.  Where ever the ball is, he's there.  He never makes a mistake.  Never.  He's like this blessed basketball child.  Tiny Tim who left his crutch in the corner.  Far and away the best player on the court that night.  We're down by 2 at the half.  We were forced to pretty much double him  even when he didn't have the ball and keep it out of his hands. The rest of the Hornets couldn't take up the slack so Hudson faded in the second half and we won by 18.  We were able to chuckle about it as the game ended with Silsbee pulling out to an 18 point win.  I can tell you we sure weren't laughing about it half time.  Appearances can be deceiving.  That's a pretty cool name isn't it?  Hudson Hornets.

And then there was the injury to Devon in the championship game.  It was the most frightening moment I've ever experienced in sports.  The Alamodome was so deathly quiet as they attended to him.  Just quiet prayers.  Lincoln fans were praying.  You could hear the pigeons cooing in the rafters.  They hovered over him for a long time and he never regained consciousness on the floor.  You couldn't help but think about a catastrophic neck injury or a crippling brain injury.  And today you see him playing with such abandon.  The three point loss was a hard thing, but that wound was buffered by the McCains eventual complete recovery which was far more important than even a championship game.

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

I remember 2016 was a bittersweet year.  Beating HJ twice was huge of course.  A couple of things stand out.  One was the Regional semi-final game with Hudson.  They had a scrawny white kid who looked like the very definition of a scrub - about 5'11", maybe 150 pounds soaking wet. Obviously a JV kid brought up for the playoffs.  Couldn't make a shot from the 3 point line in warmup to save his life.  Actually we were wondering why Hudson had made it that far.  Teams come out for the tip - low and behold he's starting - then we find out why Hudson was there.  This poster child from Diary of a Wimpy Kid proceeds to completely chop us up.  On both ends.  He steals the ball from our guards, he scores in the paint and from the 3 point line.  Where ever the ball is, he's there.  He never makes a mistake.  Never.  He's like this blessed basketball child.  Tiny Tim who left his crutch in the corner.  Far and away the best player on the court that night.  We're down by 2 at the half.  We were forced to pretty much double him  even when he didn't have the ball and keep it out of his hands. The rest of the Hornets couldn't take up the slack so Hudson faded in the second half and we won by 18.  We were able to chuckle about it as the game ended with Silsbee pulling out to an 18 point win.  I can tell you we sure weren't laughing about it half time.  Appearances can be deceiving.  That's a pretty cool name isn't it?  Hudson Hornets.

And then there was the injury to Devon in the championship game.  It was the most frightening moment I've ever experienced in sports.  The Alamodome was so deathly quiet as they attended to him.  Just quiet prayers.  Lincoln fans were praying.  You could hear the pigeons cooing in the rafters.  They hovered over him for a long time and he never regained consciousness on the floor.  You couldn't help but think about a catastrophic neck injury or a crippling brain injury.  And today you see him playing with such abandon.  The three point loss was a hard thing, but that wound was buffered by the McCains eventual complete recovery which was far more important than even a championship game.

What a well written post - “This poster child from Dairy of a Wimpy Kid”.  That’s freaking great writing.  Thanks Jim Thorpe, you made my day!  Not often I find a gem in the endless BS we’re usually posting, lol.

2 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

Watched that game. Kid was a player. He just ran out of gas in the third quarter. Devon’s injury was very sobering. We were praying for him to just get up. 

45 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Yep along with you in a jogging suit and popcorn in hand leaving in the 3rd qtr. On the way out tapping Lazeek on the shoulder saying, their better than I thought!! 

Things run in cycles.  The Silsbee girls program is a good example.  Never left in the third quarter and never will.  I attend all the games rather than offering commentaries from 100 miles away.

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Lost it's luster over the last several years.

One team going 3-15 against the other over last 18 games with several of those 25+ losses will do it.

Yes it has.  But it's always lurking beneath the surface. 

For one thing, unless some of the kids have growth spurts over the summer the Tigers are going to be somewhat vertically challenged next year.

3 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

Yes it has.  But it's always lurking beneath the surface. 

For one thing, unless some of the kids have growth spurts over the summer the Tigers are going to be somewhat vertically challenged next year.

Jones will make a difference on size as a freshman next year. Chris Martin 6'3 J.Thomas 6'4 will still be hear... And for Jones he is only going to get taller. And he can flat out ball. By his sophomore year he will be a beast. Then what he has coming up with him as freshmen his Sophomore year lol Well go ahead and get ready for some more trips to SA... :)

9 hours ago, Who That said:

Jones will make a difference on size as a freshman next year. Chris Martin 6'3 J.Thomas 6'4 will still be hear... And for Jones he is only going to get taller. And he can flat out ball. By his sophomore year he will be a beast. Then what he has coming up with him as freshmen his Sophomore year lol Well go ahead and get ready for some more trips to SA... :)

Lol.  Nupe is not 6'3".  

16 hours ago, stevenash said:

Things run in cycles.  The Silsbee girls program is a good example.  Never left in the third quarter and never will.  I attend all the games rather than offering commentaries from 100 miles away.

Yeah unfortunately I dont live close so I'm blessed by this site to help me stay local. I've been in Canada for work still follow.