What laws should politicians enact to deal with immigration?

Englebert

What laws do you think our leaders should enact to fix the immigration problem? Please include your suggestions for remedies for past, present, and future immigration.

Should illegals be deported? Should DACA recipients be allowed to stay? Should current levels of legal immigration be increased or decreased? Should the U.S. allow only people deemed to be an asset to our future be allowed to immigrate? Should we establish a quota system for immigration from different countries? Should enhanced background checks be required and strictly enforced for immigration? Should the spouses, children, parents, grandparents of allowed immigrants also be allowed to immigrate to the U.S. (How extended of a family should we allow)? Should employers of illegals be prosecuted? If so, what should the penalties be? Should illegals be allowed to obtain a driver's licence? Should illegals be allowed to own or rent property/housing? Should illegals be allowed to attend schools? What should the penalty be for persons who fail to report or harbor illegals (if any)? Should any child born on American soil be given American citizenship, even if both parents are here illegally? What if one parent is here illegally? Should the immigration laws already on the books be enforced or ignored? Should judges who refuse to follow the law be removed from their bench? Should politicians/law enforcement be required to cooperate with Federal Immigration authorities? Should illegals be allowed to buy and carry firearms? Should illegals be allowed to vote? If so, local, state, and/or federal elections? Should the wall be built?

Please feel free to add any other points for discussion. Let's see what we agree/disagree on.

Let's try to keep this one civil.

Increase temporary visas for migrant workers. There are lots of seasonal workers who would go home if they knew they could come back next years. And our agriculture industry is short on these workers. These were drastically cut in the 1960s, leading to a lot of Mexican s just staying here instead of going home. Any us born children are not us citizens because you are not a lawful resident unless one parent is a lawful resident. This must be agreed to before the Visa is issued so it isn't challenged in court. 

Streamline green card for people with student visas. If you graduated from a US institution, then make it easier for them to stay. Our taxes have helped these student get an education, let's keep them here so they can contribute here instead of in bejing or Mumbai.

DACA - no grandfather citizenship. Everyone gets in line. Parents are fined 25k each and deported once the kids reach age of majority. They would have to wait 25 years to get a green card but could apply for travel Visa after 3 years and pay the fine. Kids would have a 15 year process to get a green card. After 2020, no child brought across the boarder illegally can claim DACA. Automatic deportation.

Unaccompanied minors are automatically deported, no questions asked.

Overstayed visas are immediately deported. If they have kids, they fall under DACA. Again fines of 25k if they have kids.

Assylum - you must file for it at the US embassy in your home country or at US Port of entry. If you cross another country (Mexico, Canada) you have to apply for assylum there first. More immigration judges will be hired so that a hearing is held with 14 days. No appeals. If you're looking for work, apply for the expanded temp work visa. All caravans turned around immediately, no questions asked.

33 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Increase temporary visas for migrant workers. There are lots of seasonal workers who would go home if they knew they could come back next years. And our agriculture industry is short on these workers. These were drastically cut in the 1960s, leading to a lot of Mexican s just staying here instead of going home. Any us born children are not us citizens because you are not a lawful resident unless one parent is a lawful resident. This must be agreed to before the Visa is issued so it isn't challenged in court. 

Streamline green card for people with student visas. If you graduated from a US institution, then make it easier for them to stay. Our taxes have helped these student get an education, let's keep them here so they can contribute here instead of in bejing or Mumbai.

DACA - no grandfather citizenship. Everyone gets in line. Parents are fined 25k each and deported once the kids reach age of majority. They would have to wait 25 years to get a green card but could apply for travel Visa after 3 years and pay the fine. Kids would have a 15 year process to get a green card. After 2020, no child brought across the boarder illegally can claim DACA. Automatic deportation.

Unaccompanied minors are automatically deported, no questions asked.

Overstayed visas are immediately deported. If they have kids, they fall under DACA. Again fines of 25k if they have kids.

Assylum - you must file for it at the US embassy in your home country or at US Port of entry. If you cross another country (Mexico, Canada) you have to apply for assylum there first. More immigration judges will be hired so that a hearing is held with 14 days. No appeals. If you're looking for work, apply for the expanded temp work visa. All caravans turned around immediately, no questions asked.

I agree with all of your points. These are all targeted towards future immigration (except for DACA). What do you propose about the illegals already here (non-DACAs)? I suggest we implement and strictly enforce E-Verify, along with, and this is key, prosecuting anyone that hires illegal workers. Coupled with this, I would want to prosecute any person selling/renting/providing housing to illegals. E-Verify can be used for this. Also, I would like to see prohibition of any person (including children of any age) from attending public and/or private education institutions. I would also like to see a requirement of medical facilities to report any illegal seeking treatment. You can treat them, but you must report them. If a person here illegally cannot work, get housing, get medical treatment, or provide a place for his children to get an education, (s)he will self-deport...and will not return. No need for a wall. No need to spend money chasing them. Prosecute the enablers.

Because of the our past history of being lax on enforcing immigration laws, this will be tough for the illegals, some who have been here for years. We have provided an incentive for them to come illegally, and it seems harsh to suddenly force them out. My stance is that they knew they were illegal when they came, therefore really have no argument for staying. I feel bad for them, but would rather enforce our laws than bending or breaking them. Putting in an exception for these only increases incentive for future illegal immigration. What are your thoughts on how to handle the ones already here?

32 minutes ago, Englebert said:

I agree with all of your points. These are all targeted towards future immigration (except for DACA). What do you propose about the illegals already here (non-DACAs)? I suggest we implement and strictly enforce E-Verify, along with, and this is key, prosecuting anyone that hires illegal workers. Coupled with this, I would want to prosecute any person selling/renting/providing housing to illegals. E-Verify can be used for this. Also, I would like to see prohibition of any person (including children of any age) from attending public and/or private education institutions. I would also like to see a requirement of medical facilities to report any illegal seeking treatment. You can treat them, but you must report them. If a person here illegally cannot work, get housing, get medical treatment, or provide a place for his children to get an education, (s)he will self-deport...and will not return. No need for a wall. No need to spend money chasing them. Prosecute the enablers.

Because of the our past history of being lax on enforcing immigration laws, this will be tough for the illegals, some who have been here for years. We have provided an incentive for them to come illegally, and it seems harsh to suddenly force them out. My stance is that they knew they were illegal when they came, therefore really have no argument for staying. I feel bad for them, but would rather enforce our laws than bending or breaking them. Putting in an exception for these only increases incentive for future illegal immigration. What are your thoughts on how to handle the ones already here?

There already here. This is tough. I don't think they can be citizens.  I'd fine and deport their parents and no more dreamers after immigration reform is passed. As long as they're being productive, working, college, military, etc. give them a green card. As for their parents, they can only get a travel Visa to visit the grown children after they paid the fine and three years have passed. Family is important. And I don't think there's a good way to deport what estimates could be up to 10 million people.

If the parents want what's best for their kids, they gotta come forward, they are the ones who broke the law, not the kids. Without parents coming forward then no green card for the kids and they're deported too.

On 12/30/2018 at 8:30 PM, Englebert said:

What laws do you think our leaders should enact to fix the immigration problem? Please include your suggestions for remedies for past, present, and future immigration.

Should illegals be deported? Should DACA recipients be allowed to stay? Should current levels of legal immigration be increased or decreased? Should the U.S. allow only people deemed to be an asset to our future be allowed to immigrate? Should we establish a quota system for immigration from different countries? Should enhanced background checks be required and strictly enforced for immigration? Should the spouses, children, parents, grandparents of allowed immigrants also be allowed to immigrate to the U.S. (How extended of a family should we allow)? Should employers of illegals be prosecuted? If so, what should the penalties be? Should illegals be allowed to obtain a driver's licence? Should illegals be allowed to own or rent property/housing? Should illegals be allowed to attend schools? What should the penalty be for persons who fail to report or harbor illegals (if any)? Should any child born on American soil be given American citizenship, even if both parents are here illegally? What if one parent is here illegally? Should the immigration laws already on the books be enforced or ignored? Should judges who refuse to follow the law be removed from their bench? Should politicians/law enforcement be required to cooperate with Federal Immigration authorities? Should illegals be allowed to buy and carry firearms? Should illegals be allowed to vote? If so, local, state, and/or federal elections? Should the wall be built?

Please feel free to add any other points for discussion. Let's see what we agree/disagree on.

Let's try to keep this one civil.

Start with two things:  First, make it clear that no illegal gets any welfare for 25 years.  Second, make it clear that no illegal can vote for 25 years.  Let's see how many will now want to come.  And how many Democrats would now want them to come since they can't vote.

Virtually all of the above are good points.  I do have one thing to add that I feel very strongly about.  Any immigrant that serves in our military that gets an Honorable Discharge be given Citizenship with that discharge.  To me, it’s a no-brainer.

On illegals already here.  As Eng. & BE has pointed out, this is a tough issue.  I’d suggest this, and this is a one time offer:  Set a time, say they been here 5 years (10?) and are self sufficient, with a clean record, give them access to a speedy process to apply for citizenship.  If they have not completed the legal immigration process within a year, they’ll be deported.  All others not meeting the requirements would be deported. 

Our biggest problem with immigration is that most of it is tough.  And if it’s tough, Congress is hesitant to touch it with a 10 ft pole.  

We need an equivalent of Ellis Island built.  It needs to be a secure Compound built somewhere near the border.  Potential immigrants could be housed in tents if money is the problem.  There they could be vetted for morality and illnesses while awaiting acceptance or deportation.  And yes, numbers per country need to be limited.  Congress has sit around with one thumb in their mouths and one in their a$$e$$, rotating them every hour, long enough.  Do what’s right for America, not what’s right for whichever Party.

10 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

No Democrats have...in fact, many of them want to provide sanctuary from said laws.

Thats not true, Democrats have voted to provide money for border security for years. Last year, they appropriated nearly 5 billion for it and the deal that the president just vetoed and shut down the government, they agreed to nearly 2 billion.  There was talk of 25 billion for a wall for a deal on dreamers at one time during this administration that got scuttled when tax reform came up.

At a local level, police are trying to clear cases and if someone is scared they'll be deported, they won't cooperate. The cops would rather get criminals off the street than someone who isn't bothering anyone by working In a kitchen or cutting grass. It's picking the lessor of two evils.

Immigration is complicated. Both parties have shirked their responsibility on this issue. Bush Jr, Obama and Trump each had  control  of all branches of government at one point and each punted on this issue.

When everyone just ignores they laws on the books, then they aren't meeting the needs of all involved. We need to hold our officials accountable to fix this mess.

9 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Thats not true, Democrats have voted to provide money for border security for years. Last year, they appropriated nearly 5 billion for it and the deal that the president just vetoed and shut down the government, they agreed to nearly 2 billion.  There was talk of 25 billion for a wall for a deal on dreamers at one time during this administration that got scuttled when tax reform came up.

At a local level, police are trying to clear cases and if someone is scared they'll be deported, they won't cooperate. The cops would rather get criminals off the street than someone who isn't bothering anyone by working In a kitchen or cutting grass. It's picking the lessor of two evils.

Immigration is complicated. Both parties have shirked their responsibility on this issue. Bush Jr, Obama and Trump each had  control  of all branches of government at one point and each punted on this issue.

When everyone just ignores they laws on the books, then they aren't meeting the needs of all involved. We need to hold our officials accountable to fix this mess.

Who are providing the sanctuary cities?

Republicans or Democrats?

On the one hand, I give BE an attaboy for some sound suggestions.  On the other hand, you can’t get 99% of Democrats to admit when the Party is wrong.  Heaven knows, and I know, the Republicans screw the pooch often enough, as do 90% of my fellow posters.  For any of you old enough to remember Happy Days, you’ll remember how Fonzie couldn’t say he was sorry.  It’d come out, “I’m sor, sor, sor, but couldn’t quite get it out there.  I think many Dems knows those Democrat controlled sanctuary areas are wrong, they just can’t/won’t say it.  The biggest problem is the Loons who think it’s okay to have sanctuary areas.  They are NPC’s..

Heres an 8 minute video explaining NPC’s.

This is the hidden content, please