Port Neches-Groves 2019.

prepballfan

The Indians actually had a fairly young team in 2018. Now the concept will be different, but I expect the Indians to be right in the thick of the DC conversation next season. Deslatte and Dae Dae Conners will be a very formidable backfield. What will aid that is the Indians entire offensive line will be back with star lineman Jaylen Garth returning for his senior season. All 5 linemen are 250+. Young outstanding QB Blake Bost will be the leader of the offense and any of you who follow sub-varsity sports in our district no of his talents. This kid is legit. His passing accuracy is very high. Several WR is back as well. The defense will be anchored by Pattinson #90 and a couple of other returners and most of the linebackers will be back or played some this year. The Indians should start off the season strong and be very competitive by playoffs next season. 

6 hours ago, prepballfan said:

The Indians actually had a fairly young team in 2018. Now the concept will be different, but I expect the Indians to be right in the thick of the DC conversation next season. Deslatte and Dae Dae Conners will be a very formidable backfield. What will aid that is the Indians entire offensive line will be back with star lineman Jaylen Garth returning for his senior season. All 5 linemen are 250+. Young outstanding QB Blake Bost will be the leader of the offense and any of you who follow sub-varsity sports in our district no of his talents. This kid is legit. His passing accuracy is very high. Several WR is back as well. The defense will be anchored by Pattinson #90 and a couple of other returners and most of the linebackers will be back or played some this year. The Indians should start off the season strong and be very competitive by playoffs next season. 

The only thing holding PNG back is defense that is why they got killed against FBM is because they had no defense. That is one thing that PNG has not had since Faircolth took over. 

34 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Yes y’all did! He was a great DC for y’all, where did he go off too? I think I remember someone saying he was from Kansas I think and went back? 

I think it was a battle with him and BF about talent on defense and the bend and break defensive philosophy BF likes. Don’t know where he went , but wished he was still here!!

PNG has had excellent offenses with QB’s like Doty, Miller, Walker, Morse and of course Shug and Bost will fit the bill and continue that string (skill set more like the first four mentioned of course). 

WR’s like Deron, Jalali, Nelson, Rose, Sparks, Giblin, McZeal, Riggs, etc. Wenschuel returns as does Proenza and several Sophomores that saw time. 

Been missing the backs like Harmon, Bertrand and Halfin, but Conner showed flashes last year in limited action and Deslate runs tuff when healthy.  I think the Barnett kid that played QB on JV when Bost was up could also be an option in backfield. He is stout and runs hard. Can also wing it if needed. 

OLine returns and are big, but gotta be more physical and quicker. Another year of offseason work can bring it. Cohesiveness should be a plus. 

Defense is where the 2019 Indians will be most improved. Sophomore group moving up from JV have been very good defensively. LB’s all return.

2019 Indians will once again compete for the DC. Do I see them getting past FBM with all they have returning...No, but a top two district finish and another run to round three is a real possibility.  

On 12/25/2018 at 7:01 AM, rolltides said:

The only thing holding PNG back is defense that is why they got killed against FBM is because they had no defense. That is one thing that PNG has not had since Faircolth took over. 

Two things killed us against FBM:

1) Speed. They had it on both sides of the ball. Made the Indians look they were moving in slow motion. 

2) A dominant FBM defensive line. PNG was barely able to get plays off all night -- Roschon was running for his life, there was no time get anything set up on offense, and our OL was manhandled from start to finish. 

I do agree that defense is a big thing that we need to improve, and it is usually THE big thing we need to improve, but a better defense wouldn't have brought us the win against FBM, not without a better O-Line and more overall speed on both sides of the ball. 

1 hour ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Two things killed us against FBM:

1) Speed. They had it on both sides of the ball. Made the Indians look they were moving in slow motion. 

2) A dominant FBM defensive line. PNG was barely able to get plays off all night -- Roschon was running for his life, there was no time get anything set up on offense, and our OL was manhandled from start to finish. 

I do agree that defense is a big thing that we need to improve, and it is usually THE big thing we need to improve, but a better defense wouldn't have brought us the win against FBM, not without a better O-Line and more overall speed on both sides of the ball. 

If you watched the SC game, FBM had the same speed advantage. The difference was Aledo took better angles, and played in position. Basically a well coached defense was able to slow them down. We lack that, and have for years. So overall speed isn't gonna cut it, being in position and learning how to tackle would greatly help us defensively. I do agree, we need to be much improved on the O line as well. Injuries might have played a small part in that, but we need to get NASTY on the line. I think this will be a super interesting year to see what we have to offer without Shug. Without him last year we lost to a team that IMO looked like a JV squad. Should be interesting.

3 hours ago, Stattrax said:

If you watched the SC game, FBM had the same speed advantage. The difference was Aledo took better angles, and played in position. Basically a well coached defense was able to slow them down. We lack that, and have for years. So overall speed isn't gonna cut it, being in position and learning how to tackle would greatly help us defensively. I do agree, we need to be much improved on the O line as well. Injuries might have played a small part in that, but we need to get NASTY on the line. I think this will be a super interesting year to see what we have to offer without Shug. Without him last year we lost to a team that IMO looked like a JV squad. Should be interesting.

Curious:  the past two years nothing was really done about the defense.  Is confidence high that anything will be done in the future?  Also, you are correct about Aledo.  This is what a well coached team looks like. 

12 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Curious:  the past two years nothing was really done about the defense.  Is confidence high that anything will be done in the future?  Also, you are correct about Aledo.  This is what a well coached team looks like. 

Faircloths first couple season he had some really good assistants, but since then they’re below average.

It’s safe to assume that this debate comes up for discussion every year around this time: Faircloth’s emphasis on offense vs a lack of defense. All things being equal, of course everyone would like to be superb at both.

However, coaches have come and gone over the years, new schools have popped up around metro areas and the socio-economic landscape is ever changing all over the state. My question, as an uninvested party, is have any of the PNG faithful ever taken a look their own talent pool? 

Other than a once in a century athlete, most of the kids are your typical high school athlete. Some are bigger or faster than those in the their own class or school, but once a Marshall/College Station/Angleton come around - it’s the same story: Jimmy’s vs Joe’s.

Just an outsider’s perspective, not an indictment on the athletic prowess of anyone’s kids.

2 hours ago, badndn said:

Like 9 out of 10 playoff appearances (8 of those as either DC or RunnerUp). 

Yea. I’ll take my chances. 

Not saying he hasn't done a respectable job.  Just saying if the Injun faithful is satisfied with losing in the second or third round every time, then great.  But, if you are looking for a State Championship, then, IMO, it's not going to come from this HC.  How really hard is it to gain a playoff spot when there are 4 teams?   One has to be pretty bad not to make the playoffs under this format.  Heck, 2-8 and 3-7 teams make the playoffs.  Just wondering out loud, though, what the Aledo coach could have done with the Injun teams the past two years with the QB they had?  Nederland had a pretty good QB the past two years also.  Same question about the Aldo applies to them also.

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Not saying he hasn't done a respectable job.  Just saying if the Injun faithful is satisfied with losing in the second or third round every time, then great.  But, if you are looking for a State Championship, then, IMO, it's not going to come from this HC.  How really hard is it to gain a playoff spot when there are 4 teams?   One has to be pretty bad not to make the playoffs under this format.  Heck, 2-8 and 3-7 teams make the playoffs.  Just wondering out loud, though, what the Aledo coach could have done with the Injun teams the past two years with the QB they had?  Nederland had a pretty good QB the past two years also.  Same question about the Aldo applies to them also.

Nick Saban and Bill Belichick aren’t winning with the DBs and WRs running 40s over 5.0 and DL weighing in right at 200 lbs, regardless of effort or technique.

1st of all PNG has made the playoffs ONCE as a 3 seed. 8 of 10 were 1st or 2nd, so PNG ain’t eeking their way in year in and year out. 

The Aledo’s of the world are also getting something annually that we don’t in SETX...Move-in talent. Aledo gets some of the best in the FW area moving out to Aledo to play there. They draw from over 1 million folks in the FW area and 8 million in the DFW area proper. They are one of about 10 or so schools up there drawing in talent (Allen, DVille, Southlake, HP, Trinity, etc.). 

Look at FBMarshall this year. Several recent “Move-ins” from area schools. Again millions of people in the area. A good program in a heavily populated area is bound to attract a hand full of 4 Star kids who want to be a part of something special. Making it more special. 

The GT just doesn’t have the population to garner annual 4 star move-ins. Point in case a few years back PNG gained two good athletes who transfered as Freshmen from HF, but not 3 or 4 star athletes like Aledo, FBM, etc. 

and I don’t consider anyone moving in before MS a move-in. 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, The Icon said:

It’s safe to assume that this debate comes up for discussion every year around this time: Faircloth’s emphasis on offense vs a lack of defense. All things being equal, of course everyone would like to be superb at both.

However, coaches have come and gone over the years, new schools have popped up around metro areas and the socio-economic landscape is ever changing all over the state. My question, as an uninvested party, is have any of the PNG faithful ever taken a look their own talent pool? 

Other than a once in a century athlete, most of the kids are your typical high school athlete. Some are bigger or faster than those in the their own class or school, but once a Marshall/College Station/Angleton come around - it’s the same story: Jimmy’s vs Joe’s.

Just an outsider’s perspective, not an indictment on the athletic prowess of anyone’s kids.

We don't have the talent to advance in the playoffs more than a round or so. And our area will never be a place people want to come. I think BF does a great job on the offensive side. I also think we could do better on the other side, but we are not coached well. With that being said, we will not become a title contender with that, just make our chances better of competing with the better schools. I think the biggest gripe in town is this. We had a shot for 3 years to go several rounds if we could have fielded a defense. But those chances are gone now, so we will be back to contending for a Dc and a round or so. This isn't the hardcore PNG of old. We are a much softer version...