Allstate Sugar Bowl National Prep Classic, Jan. 2-5

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me Who is the early favorite or projected to win this tourney? With everyone being out of state I’m not to familiar with anyone. Any future stars to watch? I’m going to be in NOLA because of the Texas-Georgia game so I will be attending and cheering on Silsbee the first game for sure. I’ll be the one wearing a Nederland shirt and hat I packed one in the bag 

46 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

That might be a good first round game, huh?   I know scotlandville shouldn’t be as good after graduating Smart but MaxPreps has them at 19-0 for what that’s worth. 

Lol that was the safe pick ..WHite Station is always good though !!!!

5 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Idk anything about the first game for silsbee but that second round game against Walker or Bishop Loughlin (Brooklyn) should be a challenge.  Both are usually tough.  

I THINK Silsbee can make it to the semis maybe play for 3rd which would be great!!! That guard play can win you some games they just have to play smart

51 minutes ago, Who That said:

Yeah most teams doesn't know what hits them when they run with Silsbee lol ... And I imagine alot of these teams play with shot clocks so they will probably try and run with Silsbee 

The Tigers start to get antsy if  they haven’t put up a shot within 6 or 7 seconds of crossing half court.

2 hours ago, Who That said:

Yeah most teams doesn't know what hits them when they run with Silsbee lol ... And I imagine alot of these teams play with shot clocks so they will probably try and run with Silsbee 

Those east coast guys love to mix it up.  They play hard and they are physical as hell usually.  Doesn’t mean they always play fast, but you will feel it at the end of the game.  It is very interesting to watch different brands of basketball played regionally throughout the country.  

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Those east coast guys love to mix it up.  They play hard and they are physical as hell usually.  Doesn’t mean they always play fast, but you will feel it at the end of the game.  It is very interesting to watch different brands of basketball played regionally throughout the country.  

Somewhat true I think they soft actually just a little we come from a football mentality we know how to bring it in Texas and those country boys are built tough. Texas is the New Mecca for basketball. More players playing in both men & women than any other state ...

18 minutes ago, Mamba said:

Somewhat true I think they soft actually just a little we come from a football mentality we know how to bring it in Texas and those country boys are built tough. Texas is the New Mecca for basketball. More players playing in both men & women than any other state ...

From about Maryland up to NYC, they do have some dogs.   Those kids play like their lives depend on it.   A lot of the kids, around the Houston area at least, have become “suburbanized.”   It’s a bit of a shock for the ones who’ve never played kids from those parts every year.   The Texas kids do tend to be much more skilled though.   Silsbee is a different animal - those kids don’t struggle with toughness.  

I remember when Silsbee went to the Popeyes Classic back in 1994/95 when we had Damion Bush, Al Henry, Donyell Allen, Wilie Jones etc.. We lost to a Moss Point,MS team that was all guards around 6'1. They could shoot lights out. In that Tourney was a team from NYC that played like they were in Rucker Park!!! I also saw Yates back in 2008/09 destroy those types of teams. I think Silsbee will be good to win a game or 2. Experience is key here. They will run thru district and I dont think they will see close game till the Regionals. Yates will be there with Silsbee, and maybe La Marque. 

5 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

I remember when Silsbee went to the Popeyes Classic back in 1994/95 when we had Damion Bush, Al Henry, Donyell Allen, Wilie Jones etc.. We lost to a Moss Point,MS team that was all guards around 6'1. They could shoot lights out. In that Tourney was a team from NYC that played like they were in Rucker Park!!! I also saw Yates back in 2008/09 destroy those types of teams. I think Silsbee will be good to win a game or 2. Experience is key here. They will run thru district and I dont think they will see close game till the Regionals. Yates will be there with Silsbee, and maybe La Marque. 

I remember you always gave the ball to Allen when you needed a dunk back then.

I'm hoping Silsbee gets a win or two at this tournament. Not expecting for more than that, if we're being realistic. I see La Marque is in 4A again. Silsbee still owes them a few more beatings in something after those 90s football games.

29 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

I remember you always gave the ball to Allen when you needed a dunk back then.

I'm hoping Silsbee gets a win or two at this tournament. Not expecting for more than that, if we're being realistic. I see La Marque is in 4A again. Silsbee still owes them a few more beatings in something after those 90s football games.

Actually I've watched all these teams play a game this year on YouTube and Silsbee and the the NYC team look to be two of the best teams their. 

44 minutes ago, burtgill said:

Will there be anyone at the tournament updating the scores for the fans that could not make it?

On 1/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, Mamba said: