West Orange Stark Next Year

tennisbc

There’s no official award. It’s not an official UIL thing, just something a bunch of historians and statisticians follow very closely and a lot of others do too. WO-S has actually had the highest on and off since surpassing Odessa Permian back in 2004. They just hit the arbitrary 500 games played mark this season which is the general standard for when it actually counts. It’s not their fault they didn’t start playing in 1923 like Highland Park but the 500 minimum and percentage is a way to compromise and compare different aged programs fairly.   

If you really want an equivalent between the two then compare how long it took each program to get to 406 wins as the vast majority of new programs generally do extremely poorly in their early years with a few exceptions. It took from 1923-1978 for HP to hit win #406 (55+ seasons), 1977-2018 for WO-S (42 seasons.)  

I’ll stop beleaguering the point but I am a historian and that’s what I do lol. I realize most people don’t care. 

2 hours ago, Goblin said:

There’s no official award. It’s not an official UIL thing, just something a bunch of historians and statisticians follow very closely and a lot of others do too. WO-S has actually had the highest on and off since surpassing Odessa Permian back in 2004. They just hit the arbitrary 500 games played mark this season which is the general standard for when it actually counts. It’s not their fault they didn’t start playing in 1923 like Highland Park but the 500 minimum and percentage is a way to compromise and compare different aged programs fairly.   

If you really want an equivalent between the two then compare how long it took each program to get to 406 wins as the vast majority of new programs generally do extremely poorly in their early years with a few exceptions. It took from 1923-1978 for HP to hit win #406 (55+ seasons), 1977-2018 for WO-S (42 seasons.)  

I’ll stop beleaguering the point but I am a historian and that’s what I do lol. I realize most people don’t care. 

I absolutely love your post, I’m somewhat of a history buff myself. Thanks Goblin, the players that I know thought it might be a patch for their jackets, so now we know.

Hey Mustang nation, is there any new information on the bond project that was passed recently? Has construction begin already, or when will construction starts? I’m excited for the students and the community at WOS they deserve the best facilities that the district can offer. That pressbox is really outdated and should be torn down and remodeled.

• 2 weeks later...

WOS lacked elite skill position talent this past year. QB was a issue but he (they) weren’t being helped much by their supporting cast. The best player on the offense was the RB and he was injured much of the year to the point he wasn’t 100% in a lot of games. This past senior class was probably the weakest in 10+ years for WOS in terms of skill position talent.

i expect WOS the next 2-3 years to have another possible state championship run/runs.

29 minutes ago, jkbtjc53 said:

WOS lacked elite skill position talent this past year. QB was a issue but he (they) weren’t being helped much by their supporting cast. The best player on the offense was the RB and he was injured much of the year to the point he wasn’t 100% in a lot of games. This past senior class was probably the weakest in 10+ years for WOS in terms of skill position talent.

i expect WOS the next 2-3 years to have another possible state championship run/runs.

With what is returning and the JV coming up it will be another deep run in the playoffs for the Mustangs. 4AII for this region is looking good for WOS. I am wondering what the other region teams have coming back?