High Island Tournament ---Results

GoFundMe

1 hour ago, GoFundMe said:

Hardin over Deweyville by 6 in the 1pm game.  And Hardin over Sabine Pass by 25 this evening.

Hardin is 12-0 on the season.

I'm thinking 95% of our coverage area teams would be 12-0 with that schedule.

C'mon Hardin, play somebody.

18 hours ago, whsalum said:

You can't play Fred Good Samaritan but so many times and get ready for EC. 

Yeah. Coach Collins doesn't prepare for his district opponents.  His non-athletic kids accidentally beat East Chambers two years ago and Kountze last year.  That's because he doesn't prepare for his district opponents.  You know, because its Hardin and all.  But hey, congratulations to West Hardin.  I think the all time count is now Hardin 49 wins vs. West Hardin 13 wins.

Yeah. Coach Collins doesn't prepare for his district opponents.  His non-athletic kids accidentally beat East Chambers two years ago and Kountze last year.  That's because he doesn't prepare for his district opponents.  You know, because its Hardin and all.  But hey, congratulations to West Hardin.  I think the all time count is now Hardin 49 wins vs. West Hardin 13 wins.

You can back Hardin and it's coach all you want, but there is no defending that pre district schedule.

Maybe if Hardin played a better schedule, they would beat EC and Kountze more than once and never lose to West Hardin.

24 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

You can back Hardin and it's coach all you want, but there is no defending that pre district schedule.

Maybe if Hardin played a better schedule, they would beat EC and Kountze more than once and never lose to West Hardin.

Playing the schedule they played did not help them beat West Hardin.   Why would playing tougher opponents help you beat anyone better than you or that's supposed to beat you ???  Did Newton playing a weak district help them destroy their opponents in the playoffs or are they just better than anyone in their classification?   I think playing teams you "can" beat in non-district when you know you're going to have a tough time in district is the smart thing to do, so they kids don't go 3-24 on the season and they build confidence going into district play.  I've never understood the logic behind scheduling TOUGH teams in non-district to "prepare" for distrcit.  You either play to your ability or you do not. You either play to the coaches instruction or you do not.

So, you're telling me that because Hardin played Tarkington and Splendora the last two years (which both were Losses)....that motivated them to defeat Kountze and East Chambers ? Wow.

We are talking about a team in Hardin that has NOT made the playoffs in basketball but 1x in 10 years, right ? So, the answer to the equation is continue playing teams you can't beat because you're supposed to learn from the Losses, and not from the wins.

8 minutes ago, GoFundMe said:

Playing the schedule they played did not help them beat West Hardin.   Why would playing tougher opponents help you beat anyone better than you or that's supposed to beat you ???  Did Newton playing a weak district help them destroy their opponents in the playoffs or are they just better than anyone in their classification?   I think playing teams you "can" beat in non-district when you know you're going to have a tough time in district is the smart thing to do, so they kids don't go 3-24 on the season and they build confidence going into district play.  I've never understood the logic behind scheduling TOUGH teams in non-district to "prepare" for distrcit.  You either play to your ability or you do not. You either play to the coaches instruction or you do not.

So, you're telling me that because Hardin played Tarkington and Splendora the last two years (which both were Losses)....that motivated them to defeat Kountze and East Chambers ? Wow.

We are talking about a team in Hardin that has NOT made the playoffs in basketball but 1x in 10 years, right ? So, the answer to the equation is continue playing teams you can't beat because you're supposed to learn from the Losses, and not from the wins.

Or maybe mix it up.   Some softer opponents for wins and some tougher to prepare for what you will see in district.  That way the first time you see EC, it won’t seem like you’re in the Indy 500 driving a Yugo.  

6 minutes ago, GoFundMe said:

Nov. 10 - at Fred Good Samaritan, 70-11

Nov. 13 - at Tarkington, ccl

Nov. 16 - Fred Good Samaritan, 63-18

Nov. 19 - at Spurger, 56-47

Nov. 27 - Port Arthur Bob Hope, 66-18

Nov. 29-Dec. 1 - Deweyville Tournament

Colmesneil, 64-46

Port Arthur Bob Hope, 74-32

Hamshire-Fannett JV, 63-17

Deweyville, 86-44

Brookeland, 60-41

Dec. 4 - Goodrich, 77-12

Dec. 6-8 - High Island Tourament

Dec. 11 - at Hull-Daisetta, 7:30 pm

Dec. 13-15 - Baytown Christian Tournament

Hardin has not played one 3A or above team this season. Over half the schedule so far is 1A or less (Good Samaritan). Most of those are not even good 1A's. The rest are bad 2A teams.

My point is, you have to play some teams that give you a challenge. It's called taking on adversity and seeing how your team performs. I am not suggesting a coach schedule a murderous schedule, but at least sprinkle in some toughies. I believe this schedule does Hardin no good. They are good enough to play a better pre district schedule.

I would rather go 18-12 and make playoffs than go 24-6 and miss playoffs.

The logic behind playing a tough pre-season to prepare for district play is to ensure your kids are tested for games that matter. Playing a weak preseason when you're constantly winning games by 20+ points won't help you in a tough district where your kids will have to learn how to play close games and possibly play from behind. It makes all the sense in the world. Past district it only gets harder and harder every round, and you can't help how poor or strong your district is but you need to be ready.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, however, this all depends on the type of team you're going to have. If you're going to struggle to get 4th in your district then by all means bring on the cupcakes preseason.

Confidence is more important than preparation.  Having said that..it is good to throw in a game or couple that will likely be close contests.  It looks to me that this West Hardin game was good for Hardin.  Have to learn to play from behind, play with a close lead, play in "no shot" scenarios, play in "no foul" scenarios, play when you're getting fouled because you have the lead, play when you're forced to foul, etc.. 

A  coach knows their team, though.  Getting involved in games where you will get blown out or even beat by 25+ will NEVER prepare you for anything.  Maybe the coach scheduled wins because they would be few and far between later.. maybe it was either play them or teams that they had no chance to beat.  Nobody knows.  Err.. none of us does anyway.  

2 hours ago, Plus 1 said:

The logic behind playing a tough pre-season to prepare for district play is to ensure your kids are tested for games that matter. Playing a weak preseason when you're constantly winning games by 20+ points won't help you in a tough district where your kids will have to learn how to play close games and possibly play from behind. It makes all the sense in the world. Past district it only gets harder and harder every round, and you can't help how poor or strong your district is but you need to be ready.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, however, this all depends on the type of team you're going to have. If you're going to struggle to get 4th in your district then by all means bring on the cupcakes preseason.

WHICH is Hardin EVERY YEAR.  We're not talking about a perennial powerhouse basketball program. We're talking about Hardin, who hasn't made the playoffs but 4 times in the last 20 years.  Why is there a different expectation or a higher one at that, for them to play "better" teams pre-district ? That makes zero sense to me.  It's still Hardin and will always be Hardin.  The coach told me, for the first time in many years that he finally has a kid that can touch the rim.  

By the way, we are talking about Hardin.  Yes, I said Hardin. 

WHICH is Hardin EVERY YEAR.  We're not talking about a perennial powerhouse basketball program. We're talking about Hardin, who hasn't made the playoffs but 4 times in the last 20 years.  Why is there a different expectation or a higher one at that, for them to play "better" teams pre-district ? That makes zero sense to me.  It's still Hardin and will always be Hardin.  The coach told me, for the first time in many years that he finally has a kid that can touch the rim.  

By the way, we are talking about Hardin.  Yes, I said Hardin. 

I agree with you, Hardin is Hardin, so no need to schedule tough pre-season. I was just explaining the logic behind tough pre-season scheduling ;)

Everyone schedules games they know they can win. There is nothing wrong with that, on the other hand scheduling a private school with an enrollment of 25 probably doesn't do anyone much good. It's been years since I saw Hardin play basketball but the last time I did they were very respectable.