Silsbee 19 West Orange-Stark 9/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I was also at the game in the driving rain and I also loved it.  

The first quick score by Silsbee was nothing out of the  norm.  They've done this quite a few times this year the set the momentum.  This was a coaching chestmatch and I'm glad Coach Smith had it figured out.  We got up to 2 scores and we were content with playing field position game.  I'm ok with that, run the clock and make WO-S go out of their comfort zone....  Passing.  I didn't like the stupid run play to run clock.  I know the punt was high risk, which is why we didn't punt, but you have to trust your special teams and punt that baby away.  

Defense did their thing and should be praised.  They adjusted to what WO-S was doing to move the ball...  And like 3 amazing plays by a couple of kids...  #20 impresses me every time on defense.  #8 flew to the ball on that one play to prevent the WO-S player from turning the corner.  #22 had 3 huge plays in the second half that without them, WO-S probably scores on their drives.

WO-S never gave up and their defense got real stingy and stiff in the second half.  About what I expected.  But they will need to find a QB.  The one they had wasn't accurate at all, well, #9 wasn't .  The other QB likes to run.  Don't think he was a threat passing either.  And to this WO-S team. Keep your heads up, work hard in the off-season, and let's dance twice again next year!  Way to keep it on the field.

Just casual thoughts.  Strange that neither team brought a canopy or a small hooch that some players on the sidelines can huddle in while on the bench or even gave a designated bag of dry towels are warmer for players with cold and wet hands.  Especially the QB's.  Both Silsbee and WO-S QB's had some pases that got away from them.  

I arrived at the game with my cousin and told him they wouldn't be calling holding calls in this game because I knew the refs didn't want to extend this game and wanted to get the heck up outta there.  I was right.  ZERO holding calls although they're were multiple holding infractions that I've seen.  Actually, it was minimum penalties.  That Pass interference by the Silsbee DB was so damn obvious, he had to throw that.  Lol

Silsbee, it's not over.  Few days to celebrate.  Back to work Monday.... And get locked in for next game.  

I still cantbelieve that one could have been a game changer but we avoided it.  Now i couldnt see down field on the broadcast but it looked like Taylor wanted to throw it.   Ould you see that?

11 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

Cuero can score. Silsbee has three first downs in the second half tonight. I’m pulling for the Tigers but they need to start sustaining drives and not relying on big plays.... but I don’t know how Cuero defense ranks against wos defense. That’s all assuming that Cuero wins of corse.

The Tigers are a big play team.  It's been that way all year long.  A successful sustained drive is 4 plays, one first down, capped by a 40 yard dash for the end zone.  I exaggerate only a little.  The thing is, they can even do it against good defenses and in difficult conditions (obviously).  They sneak up in the underbrush and then they pounce.  It's what tigers do.

5 minutes ago, ST413 said:

I still cantbelieve that one could have been a game changer but we avoided it.  Now i couldnt see down field on the broadcast but it looked like Taylor wanted to throw it.   Ould you see that?

Most people saw a fumble, but it was a last ditch attempted throw, probably to not lose as many yards and keep the ball at the line of scrimmage.  That's why the refs huddled.  To see if it was intentional grounding or not...

5 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

The Tigers are a big play team.  It's been that way all year long.  A successful sustained drive is 4 plays, one first down, capped by a 40 yard dash for the end zone.  I exaggerate only a little.  The thing is, they can even do it against good defenses and in difficult conditions (obviously).  They sneak up in the underbrush and then they pounce.  It's what tigers do.

I like that.  Camouflage, stalk, then pounce...  Then it's all over.  

6 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Most people saw a fumble, but it was a last ditch attempted throw, probably to not lose as many yards and keep the ball at the line of scrimmage.  That's why the refs huddled.  To see if it was intentional grounding or not...

Yes but i was talking more about during the play even before he changed directions it looked like he was trying to get ready to throw.  Will have to rewatch it and see.

9 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I think the intention was to run it at least, back to the line of scrimage, not change direction and lose yards, then play defense. Kicker/Punter hurt his back during that bobbled extra point, and played the rest of the game in severe pain. I think coaches were leary of his ability to mabey handle a bad snap to punt. I thought he made couple good punts earlier deep in Tiger territory , for as cripple as he was? 

29 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Yes but i was talking more about during the play even before he changed directions it looked like he was trying to get ready to throw.  Will have to rewatch it and see.

Ok, that part.  It was a run toward WO-S side of the field.  Then when he changed direction, he was looking to pass...

5 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Ok, that part.  It was a run toward WO-S side of the field.  Then when he changed direction, he was looking to pass...

Or was he just improvising when he did that little throw at the end?  "Yikes! I've lost too much ground and I'm not going to be able to make the turn. I'd better do something."

I would have improvised a play.  Send everybody out to converge in the middle out past the first down marker, maybe 15 yards.  Which is about as far as the ball could go in that wind.  Then hurl in their direction. Just a playground thing, a short Hail Mary if you will.  If somebody catches it good.  If not, good.  And maybe a defender would be foolish enough to intercept it.  You'd have a bunch of guys to immediately bring him down.  An interception with no runback is just as good as a punt in those conditions.  And if the QB is sacked?  Well, that wouldn't have been any worse than what we got.

Anyway, I think the coach's general decision not to punt was correct.  Handling the deep snap would have been problematic.  What if the ball sailed on the punter?  What if he miss handled the punt?  What if it was blocked?  You're looking at the Mustangs with the ball on your 15, if you're lucky.  And if the punt is successful what do you get against that wind?  Net 12 yards maybe?  

31 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Or was he just improvising when he did that little throw at the end?  "Yikes! I've lost too much ground and I'm not going to be able to make the turn. I'd better do something."

I would have improvised a play.  Send everybody out to converge in the middle out past the first down marker, maybe 15 yards.  Which is about as far as the ball could go in that wind.  Then hurl in their direction. Just a playground thing, a short Hail Mary if you will.  If somebody catches it good.  If not, good.  And maybe a defender would be foolish enough to intercept it.  You'd have a bunch of guys to immediately bring him down.  An interception with no runback is just as good as a punt in those conditions.  And if the QB is sacked?  Well, that wouldn't have been any worse than what we got.

Anyway, I think the coach's general decision not to punt was correct.  Handling the deep snap would have been problematic.  What if the ball sailed on the punter?  What if he miss handled the punt?  What if it was blocked?  You're looking at the Mustangs with the ball on your 15, if you're lucky.  And if the punt is successful what do you get against that wind?  Net 12 yards maybe?  

Really good scenarios.  Good post.  

I happened to speak with the Cuero Coaches that were scouting the game, convenient since they cancelled theirs in San Antonio.

They were hoping to see two teams that werent very good... his exact words.

His next statement was..."That wasnt the case."  they were amazed at the intensity of the game considering the weather.  

I for one am glad they left intimidated.  They got to see teams that wasnt afraid to throw in a monsoon.  That will leave a mark.

17 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

Half Back Pass that was busted up by #58.  Dude was a menace the whole game.  Stayed in the backfield and shut down the dive play consistently.

Best case scenario: Completion for first down/TD.

Worst case: Well you saw it.

That was what I thought watching it, looked like he was trying to position the ball to throw it early in the play.

13 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

I happened to speak with the Cuero Coaches that were scouting the game, convenient since they cancelled theirs in San Antonio.

They were hoping to see two teams that werent very good... his exact words.

His next statement was..."That wasnt the case."  they were amazed at the intensity of the game considering the weather.  

I for one am glad they left intimidated.  They got to see teams that wasnt afraid to throw in a monsoon.  That will leave a mark.

Glad they left impressed.  

31 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I wanna tell young Foster that...  When you line them up, give the hard count, if they jump, snap it and receive the free play.  They always don't snap it and look to the sidelines.  Been doing that all year...

Been watching that myself.  Remember back in the day all those years ago we were told to snap it.

55 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I wanna tell young Foster that...  When you line them up, give the hard count, if they jump, snap it and receive the free play.  They always don't snap it and look to the sidelines.  Been doing that all year...

Exactly, and the defense has jumped offsides twice that I’ve seen in that scenario in the past three weeks. But that’s not on Foster, the center is the one who has to snap it in that situation. 

When silsbee dropped to division 2, I was glad that we would finally have some competition and be challenged in district. Early this season I heard Greg tepper on fox say that "silsbee was his dark horse to come out of our region. Even with the likes of 4x state finalist wos and perennial power jasper."

I filed that away in the back of my mind like most early predictions. Then after the losses both teams had in the preseason and jasper rolling over everyone. I thought there is no way. I had wos pegged for rebuilding and probably 2 or 3 rounds deep.

Then comes that 1st district game to basically decide the district championship. What a nail biter. I needed a nerve pill. But we pulled it off in the end.

Last week was a rematch against obviously 1 of our biggest rivals. We had a great win for our team and coaching staff. It's hard to beat a team 2x. But here comes silsbee again.

All week the weather and possible rescheduling loomed over the game. If it would have been saturday night at Lamar. The 2 programs could've put on a display of talent the golden triangle hasn't seen for years. And probably set an attendance record for provost umphrey stadium in the process.

But it didn't happen that way for a reason. The football gods had other plans. This was battle in the worst conditions possible. Equally matched, it came down to who made the fewest mistakes. Silsbee also made the most of their opportunities.

Now the task of continuing the tradition by making it to state. I always hope the team that beats us wins it all. So at least we can say we were beat by the best.

Also it would be nice to upset a defending state champ in a district game next year.