Coaching Carousel

urban_meyer

There are several examples that you could find.  Just like there are several examples of coaches who have won titles and then never even come close afterward.

Here..let's start with a coach that everyone knows.  Tom Westerberg won 4 state titles in the highest classification in the state.  When is he going to win one at Barbers Hill?  When will he win a district championship?  Playoff game?  4 different times he was selected as the 5A/6A Coach of the Year.  Is he a worse coach now than he was 5 years ago?  I certainly don't think so.  Or is it because he had Kyler Murray behind the center?

5 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Unfortunately..that is the common misconception.  I personally think that some of the best coaches in the state have never won a championship.  I also think that there are several not so good coaches that have won one or multiple.  But yes I know how coaches are judged. 

I never once anywhere on this website or in person to anybody mentioned anything about a championship, not even a district championship.  But 2 wins???  How many more 2 win seasons do the kids have to go through before a change is made?  Do you know the Seniors that were at Ozen before the merger NEVER made the playoffs and had 5 wins in the last 3 seasons on varsity?  See the pattern?

3 hours ago, LC-M said:

This is why I think it’s a waste of time to go down there to speak because it solves nothing. They will end up doing what they want. Perfect example is when everyone spoke up  about the name change at the Butch and they still took it down. That’s probably  why Go-rilla  said to go down there to speak up because obviously he is  a coach and knows nothing is going to be done.

I agree, it probably falls on deaf ears but I will continue to fight for the kids over there.  I am glad for the kids at 8750 Phelan Blvd., I hope they pull it off this weekend.  She got mad when I told her that she set our kids up for failure by making the hire that she did.  Why can't Beaumont have 2 respectable football programs?  She couldn't answer that. 

I'm going to another meeting tonight that she will be at just to ask her some other questions...

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

There are several examples that you could find.  Just like there are several examples of coaches who have won titles and then never even come close afterward.

Here..let's start with a coach that everyone knows.  Tom Westerberg won 4 state titles in the highest classification in the state.  When is he going to win one at Barbers Hill?  When will he win a district championship?  Playoff game?  4 different times he was selected as the 5A/6A Coach of the Year.  Is he a worse coach now than he was 5 years ago?  I certainly don't think so.  Or is it because he had Kyler Murray behind the center?

THEY say be patient and pray, that's what I always get told...ha, ha, ha.

8 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

I never once anywhere on this website or in person to anybody mentioned anything about a championship, not even a district championship.  But 2 wins???  How many more 2 win seasons do the kids have to go through before a change is made?  Do you know the Seniors that were at Ozen before the merger NEVER made the playoffs and had 5 wins in the last 3 seasons on varsity?  See the pattern?

I'm not arguing with you.. and I'm not defending this coach in particular.  I'm just saying that there's a lot more that makes a coach "good or bad" than their record.  Sometimes coaches/programs become stagnant and it's time to bring in fresh ideas and new energy.  Sometimes a coach is doing any and everything that a coach could possibly do but gets ran off despite that because of a losing record.  Football is all about numbers.. how many players suited out at Ozen during those 5 win seasons compared to their district foes.  If comparable.. did Ozen have the team to beat PNG, Nederland, Central, etc..?  A few of those schools I just mentioned were pretty dang good.  

I'm just saying record may only be a fraction to do with it.  I don't know.. if you don't think so.  Keep expressing your concerns.  Maybe it'll be acted on somehow. 

7 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

I agree, it probably falls on deaf ears but I will continue to fight for the kids over there.  I am glad for the kids at 8750 Phelan Blvd., I hope they pull it off this weekend.  She got mad when I told her that she set our kids up for failure by making the hire that she did.  Why can't Beaumont have 2 respectable football programs?  She couldn't answer that. 

I'm going to another meeting tonight that she will be at just to ask her some other questions...

Let me knows how it turns out. I think the best way to get your voice heard is voting for the guys on the school board to get the job done. If you don’t have the right folks on the board it will be just a bunch of good ole boys making the decisions 

26 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm not arguing with you.. and I'm not defending this coach in particular.  I'm just saying that there's a lot more that makes a coach "good or bad" than their record.  Sometimes coaches/programs become stagnant and it's time to bring in fresh ideas and new energy.  Sometimes a coach is doing any and everything that a coach could possibly do but gets ran off despite that because of a losing record.  Football is all about numbers.. how many players suited out at Ozen during those 5 win seasons compared to their district foes.  If comparable.. did Ozen have the team to beat PNG, Nederland, Central, etc..?  A few of those schools I just mentioned were pretty dang good.  

I'm just saying record may only be a fraction to do with it.  I don't know.. if you don't think so.  Keep expressing your concerns.  Maybe it'll be acted on somehow. 

Good man?  Yes.  Prime example, he had the returning varsity players up at Baptist today passing out gifts to kids in the hospital.  Good football coach?  In my opinion, no.  And unless he steps down on his own, they will bring him back next year.  Ok, so what are you going to do different?  What changes will you make so that you don't have another 2-8 season?  The numbers and talent is there.  But you know how men are with their pride and having to make changes to what they are doing... 

29 minutes ago, LC-M said:

Let me knows how it turns out. I think the best way to get your voice heard is voting for the guys on the school board to get the job done. If you don’t have the right folks on the board it will be just a bunch of good ole boys making the decisions 

Man we have people that won the recent election by vote and have not been seated but just a couple months back a man was given a seat because he is the general manager at both Chick Fil A's in Beaumont.  Get this, his child doesn't even attend a BISD school but instead Legacy but they put him in place to make decisions for the thousands of kids in the school district.   

51 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Man we have people that won the recent election by vote and have not been seated but just a couple months back a man was given a seat because he is the general manager at both Chick Fil A's in Beaumont.  Get this, his child doesn't even attend a BISD school but instead Legacy but they put him in place to make decisions for the thousands of kids in the school district.   

I personally think that people shouldn't be allowed to run for school board if they have a child in school.  At least a child old enough for any extracurricular activity (excluding UIL academics). Decisions made are all too often made in a biased manner toward their own children.. which may or may not have a positive impact on the other thousands of kids in the school district.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, Tigers2010 said:

Said this a week ago. He is making less than United's coach by 10K. Wouldn't shock me at all if he walks.

Well, regardless if they win or lose Saturday, I think he deserves a contract extension and around $120K a year.  BISD shouldn't make this a revolving door.  They found one good one, pay him appropriately to keep him.  Now just find one for the other side of town...

5 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Well, regardless if they win or lose Saturday, I think he deserves a contract extension and around $120K a year.  BISD shouldn't make this a revolving door.  They found one good one, pay him appropriately to keep him.  Now just find one for the other side of town...

I agree with you man, all  the way around

Take away a couple good seasons, when did Central have good football years(created in 86, if I remember)? The best football players always went to WB. I can remember when kids would transfer to WB for football season and then go back to Central after the season was over. Ozen players had success when they were merged with WB. North End hasn't been relevant since the shared title in 84 as French HS.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:01 AM, TradenupBH said:

Take away a couple good seasons, when did Central have good football years(created in 86, if I remember)? The best football players always went to WB. I can remember when kids would transfer to WB for football season and then go back to Central after the season was over. Ozen players had success when they were merged with WB. North End hasn't been relevant since the shared title in 84 as French HS.

2008 Football season.  Lost to Friendswood 20-19 in the 5A D1 reg finals and left 8 points on the field......