Center Coach resigns

AggiesAreWe

6 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Talent is a skill set.

Strength is a mind set.

Both can be taught or "coached" but the skill set is more inherent than the mid set.

Seen hundreds of kids out work others and yet come up short in the weight room despite the fact that their peers put forth far less effort. I have seen some of the hardest working lifters never make it to a regional powerlifting meet and have had some show up for the last meet of the season and make it without even coming to training. Sounds like you should be on the staff with your new "cliche type" insight.

9 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Some kids are inherently talented, and from what I have seen, Center has more than their far share of talented kids.

They definitely have more than Huntington and Tarkington. 

7 minutes ago, 89falcon said:

Seen hundreds of kids out work others and yet come up short in the weight room despite the fact that their peers put forth far less effort. I have seen some of the hardest working lifters never make it to a regional powerlifting meet and have had some show up for the last meet of the season and make it without even coming to training. Sounds like you should be on the staff with your new "cliche type" insight.

Don't know why you are throwing shade, but to me this is not personal. 

Yes, some kids are naturally stronger than other, it is genetics. But that is not talent, IMO.

But typically, strength is developed through hard work in the weight room and a mental decision to commit to the weight room.

Where as talent, even though it can be enhanced and even developed, is something kids just have.

12 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Don't know why you are throwing shade, but to me this is not personal. 

Yes, some kids are naturally stronger than other, it is genetics. But that is not talent, IMO.

But typically, strength is developed through hard work in the weight room and a mental decision to commit to the weight room.

Where as talent, even though it can be enhanced and even developed, is something kids just have.

Understood:

"Strength is genetics" with some "kids naturally stronger than others" and "can be developed" through hard work.

Compare to:

Talent "can be developed" but "is something kids just have". 

Brilliant logic, are you a Center alumni?

50 minutes ago, 89falcon said:

Understood:

"Strength is genetics" with some "kids naturally stronger than others" and "can be developed" through hard work.

Compare to:

Talent "can be developed" but "is something kids just have". 

Brilliant logic, are you a Center alumni?

IMO, strength is a lot easier to develop than talent (skills).

You are obviously a coach and a lot smarter about these things than us mere mortals.

But as far as I am concerned, and where this conversation started, strength does not equal talent.

Center is a more talent rich school that Liberty.

5 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

IMO, strength is a lot easier to develop than talent (skills).

You are obviously a coach and a lot smarter about these things than us mere mortals.

But as far as I am concerned, and where this conversation started, strength does not equal talent.

Center is a more talent rich school that Liberty.

Understood. As long as you believe, that is all that matters. Many people believe in ghosts. 

32 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Just so we are clear, you are telling me it is easier to develop talent (skills) than it is strength?

For the purpose of absolute clarity I am telling you: "Talent manifests itself in the form of strength, speed, coordination, reflexes and all things pertaining to athleticism". 

Talent is defined as a "natural aptitude or skill". Each mentioned facet of athleticism is limited or impacted by "talent". In addition, each mentioned aspect will be no more developed than the degree of talent will allow. 

Example 1: Kevin Durant can work in the weight room for the remainder of his adult life but will never bench press more than 200 lbs. He lacks sufficient "talent" to effectively bench press greater than 200 lbs. 

Example #2: Aaron Donald can never enter the weight for the remainder of his adult life and still easily bench press more than 200 lbs because of his great "talent" or natural aptitude for bench press. 

Example #3: Liberty beat the brakes off Center due to Liberty's multi faceted talent in many different areas. Center, despite having a potential edge in talent at one position was unable to overcome the widespread talents of Liberty. This was done in spite of the fact that Center was currently being coached by one of the more successful coaches in the history of the school.  

Hope that clears things up. 

6 minutes ago, 89falcon said:

For the purpose of absolute clarity I am telling you: "Talent manifests itself in the form of strength, speed, coordination, reflexes and all things pertaining to athleticism". 

Talent is defined as a "natural aptitude or skill". Each mentioned facet of athleticism is limited or impacted by "talent". In addition, each mentioned aspect will be no more developed than the degree of talent will allow. 

Example 1: Kevin Durant can work in the weight room for the remainder of his adult life but will never bench press more than 200 lbs. He lacks sufficient "talent" to effectively bench press greater than 200 lbs. 

Example #2: Aaron Donald can never enter the weight for the remainder of his adult life and still easily bench press more than 200 lbs because of his great "talent" or natural aptitude for bench press. 

Example #3: Liberty beat the brakes off Center due to Liberty's multi faceted talent in many different areas. Center, despite having a potential edge in talent at one position was unable to overcome the widespread talents of Liberty. This was done in spite of the fact that Center was currently being coached by one of the more successful coaches in the history of the school.  

Hope that clears things up. 

And strength has what to do with "natural aptitude or skill"?

Strength may enhance talent, but it is NOT talent.

4 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Strength has to do with "talent" which by definition can be "natural aptitude or skill". Please see the examples.

For reference: aptitude is defined as "natural ability". 

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

Some kids are inherently talented, and from what I have seen, Center has more than their far share of talented kids.

You would think Brock is a LARGE group of un-talented kids by your measure. However, they dominate 3a Highschool Football. I wonder why, if not very talented.

26 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Strength may enhance talent, but it is NOT talent.

By YOUR OWN words, strength is based upon "natural ability".

It is becoming increasingly clear that the root cause of our debate originates with your lack of vocabulary skills. You currently believe that "talent" is defined as whatever you come up with and supports your belief structure. 

In particularly, your belief that the most successful Center coach in recent memory is to blame for Center's loss to Liberty.  

30 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

This is the hidden content, please

Couple things I learned about Center.

The % of females to males is significant. This is a positive.

The average income of the people there is about half of what the state average is. Not positive. 

Lotta poor women roaming around Center.

AAH!! :thumbsdown:  What do you know about Center?!!

You thought the Saints would beat the Cowboys :rofl: C'mon Man!!

3 hours ago, 89falcon said:

Strength has to do with "talent" which by definition can be "natural aptitude or skill". Please see the examples.

For reference: aptitude is defined as "natural ability". 

Actually, aptitude is defined as natural ability to do something. 

Strength is not doing something, strength is acquired by doing something.  But thanks for the English lesson. I'm pretty sure my SAT score was higher than yours. But, maybe not. You don't strike me as an Ivy League kinda guy though.

49 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Actually, aptitude is defined as natural ability to do something. 

Strength is not doing something, strength is acquired by doing something.  But thanks for the English lesson. I'm pretty sure my SAT score was higher than yours. But, maybe not. You don't strike me as an Ivy League kinda guy though.

You never answered the question  "if you are a Center alumni"? "Strength" is the metric/term used to measure "your ability to do something". By YOUR logic, strength is acquired and is therefore not an "aptitude" even though you previously stated "some kids are stronger than others". In continuation with YOUR impressive logic, "speed", "agility", "tacking skills", "blocking skills", "making 3 pointers", "dribbling", "long jumping", "sprinting", etc would not be aptitudes as the abilities to do them can be acquired by "doing something". 

You should share this information with the new coaching staff as I am certain they would welcome your brilliance. If only the previous several decades of coaching could have obtained such knowledge, Center may have well been a multi-time State Champion.

4 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

The average income of the people there is about half of what the state average is. Not positive. 

Center has some serious young talent coming up, and make no mistake Shelby County is one of the richest per capita in all of East Texas.  

9 hours ago, GoFundMe said:

Just not financially 

Yes financially.  Evidently you are unaware of the oil and gas boom that occured there within the last 10 years.  There were many, many folks made millionaires over night.  

15 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

Center has some serious young talent coming up, and make no mistake Shelby County is one of the richest per capita in all of East Texas.  

4 hours ago, Uncle Si said:

Yes financially.  Evidently you are unaware of the oil and gas boom that occured there within the last 10 years.  There were many, many folks made millionaires over night.  

I remember reading a couple of years ago that Center also had the highest per captita rate of HIV infections in the state.  Like 15 or so years ago.  Apparently it started spreading around a particular group before they realized there was an outbreak... there weren't actually very many people infected, but in a place that small it really spiked their rate.  

I tried to find a link to verify but couldn't.  

Flame on.

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I remember reading a couple of years ago that Center also had the highest per captita rate of HIV infections in the state.  Like 15 or so years ago.  Apparently it started spreading around a particular group before they realized there was an outbreak... there weren't actually very many people infected, but in a place that small it really spiked their rate.  

I tried to find a link to verify but couldn't.  

Flame on.

I wouldnt know about that, but from what I do know about Center.........  that wouldnt surprise me!!!!  I'd bet it has the highest concentration of crabs north of the gulf!!!