College Football Playoff

oldschool2

5 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

5 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I am okay with a 2 loss team not having a chance to win it. 

I'm not.  Just like I'm not ok with a team having a chance to win it simply because they're undefeated. ie Clemson and Notre Dame.  Both of whom had relatively weak schedules but because they happened to run the table are dubbed as playoff teams.  I think that schools should be rewarded for tough schedules and then prevailing through tough conferences.  Hence the whole reason for my argument. Imagine for one second if all sports picked champions the way that FBS football picks champions.  On that.. I choose the side of all other sports.

5 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm not.  Just like I'm not ok with a team having a chance to win it simply because they're undefeated. ie Clemson and Notre Dame.  Both of whom had relatively weak schedules but because they happened to run the table are dubbed as playoff teams.  I think that schools should be rewarded for tough schedules and then prevailing through tough conferences.  Hence the whole reason for my argument. Imagine for one second if all sports picked champions the way that FBS football picks champions.  On that.. I choose the side of all other sports.

All other sports can play more than one game a week. They play entire tournaments in two days. Football is not any other sport. You can't compare football with any other sport. 

Northwestern got beat by AKRON and DUKE, on top of Notre Dame and Ohio State. A team with this record should have no business having a shot for a title.

6 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

All other sports can play more than one game a week. They play entire tournaments in two days. Football is not any other sport. You can't compare football with any other sport. 

Northwestern got beat by AKRON and DUKE, on top of Notre Dame and Ohio State. A team with this record should have no business having a shot for a title.

Fine.  Imagine if every other division in football decided champions like FBS football does.  Pro, FCS, NCAA D2 and D3, NJCAA D1 D2, NAIA, all levels of high school.

And I'm sorry but I don't agree.  A team that runs the table in the Big10 and wins the Big10 championship most definitely deserves a shot.. even if it's a long shot.  In 2007 Boise State beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl.  Does that mean I think Boise State needed a shot at it?  No.  I think that only Power 5 conference champions should have an automatic bid to compete for the FBS National Title.  If a team like Northwestern were to beat Ohio St for their conference title then they would still likely be the lowest ranked team in the tournament.  Call it a bye week for Bama... unless... anything can happen in FBS football.  Bama has been in there with a loss to worse teams.  So..  

9 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I'd rather an undefeated Clemson team who played a weak schedule be in, rather than give Northwestern any hope. All they would have to do is win one game and the fact they lost to AKRON and DUKE would mean nothing. I am not good with that

I would imagine that there are a lot of people that think the 4th seed of a district has no business being in the state playoffs in Texas High School football.  Maybe they don't.  But 4 seeds win their 1st round game against 1 seeds every single year.

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Fine.  Imagine if every other division in football decided champions like FBS football does.  Pro, FCS, NCAA D2 and D3, NJCAA D1 D2, NAIA, all levels of high school.

And I'm sorry but I don't agree.  A team that runs the table in the Big10 and wins the Big10 championship most definitely deserves a shot.. even if it's a long shot.  In 2007 Boise State beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl.  Does that mean I think Boise State needed a shot at it?  No.  I think that only Power 5 conference champions should have an automatic bid to compete for the FBS National Title.  If a team like Northwestern were to beat Ohio St for their conference title then they would still likely be the lowest ranked team in the tournament.  Call it a bye week for Bama... unless... anything can happen in FBS football.  Bama has been in there with a loss to worse teams.  So..  

They didn't have to "run the table". Bro they are in the Big 10 West, where the 2nd best team is Iowa. They got a gift to play in the Conference Game. They lost 4 games... that is not running a table, that is playing in an  awful division. That team should have 0 chance of playing in the National Playoff. 

I will play the game. If they NFL did what NCAA does for football, and we take the top 4 teams....According to ESPN Power Rankings

1.Rams

2.Patriots

3.Chiefs

4. Saints

Ironically, that is what it will probably look like in Conference week.

Saints@Rams

Chiefs@Patriots.

10 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I would imagine that there are a lot of people that think the 4th seed of a district has no business being in the state playoffs in Texas High School football.  Maybe they don't.  But 4 seeds win their 1st round game against 1 seeds every single year.

How many have made real runs in football?

26 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

They didn't have to "run the table". Bro they are in the Big 10 West, where the 2nd best team is Iowa. They got a gift to play in the Conference Game. They lost 4 games... that is not running a table, that is playing in an  awful division. That team should have 0 chance of playing in the National Playoff. 

I will play the game. If they NFL did what NCAA does for football, and we take the top 4 teams....According to ESPN Power Rankings

1.Rams

2.Patriots

3.Chiefs

4. Saints

Saints@Rams

Chiefs@Patriots.

Hope you're not a Texans fan.  Who is consistently winning the worst division in all of pro football.

And..most likely..those will be the top teams to end up there in the end.  Just like with everything else.  But it doesn't take away the fact that all of the other teams that met the criteria to get in deserve a shot at potentially upsetting someone.  That's what it's about.  I know I keep coming back to it but I'll say again.. I have a championship ring that I barely wear because of winning three straight games in an 8 team conference tournament that we probably had no business being in.  Then went on to upset a team in the first round of a national tournament that we had no business playing in according to pretty much everybody.  Maybe that's why I'm a little biased on the issue.  I love underdogs.

26 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

How many have made real runs in football?

By that knowledge, let's go ahead and take out all of the other district winners that have never made any real runs in football.  How many state championships are won out of Region 4?  Let's go ahead and not even let them in the playoff bracket.

30 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Hope you're not a Texans fan.  Who is consistently winning the worst division in all of pro football.

And..most likely..those will be the top teams to end up there in the end.  Just like with everything else.  But it doesn't take away the fact that all of the other teams that met the criteria to get in deserve a shot at potentially upsetting someone.  That's what it's about.  I know I keep coming back to it but I'll say again.. I have a championship ring that I barely wear because of winning three straight games in an 8 team conference tournament that we probably had no business being in.  Then went on to upset a team in the first round of a national tournament that we had no business playing in according to pretty much everybody.  Maybe that's why I'm a little biased on the issue.  I love underdogs.

By that knowledge, let's go ahead and take out all of the other district winners that have never made any real runs in football.  How many state championships are won out of Region 4?  Let's go ahead and not even let them in the playoff bracket.

No not a Texans fan. More of a Texans fan than a Cowboys fan. I don't think we are far off in our thinking. I am not against an expansion to 8. I think I would rather have the Committee choose the top 8, as they do the top 4 now. That way if Northwestern were to upset someone in a one week game, the committee could save the day. They could say "even with that one win, Northwestern doesn't need to be in after their pitiful 4 losses to AKRON and Duke". And, at that point, pick the top 8 teams.

There is nothing wrong with the way it is now, bottom line. No matter the #, you will ALWAYS have #5 or #9 or #17 griping that they were left out...it's who we are as sports fans. The way I look at it, the playoff actually begins in early November. The only 3 teams in question this year were Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Georgia. Georgia and Ohio State had "ugly" losses. OU had no ugly loss, won their conf. champ. game and ended the season with 1 loss.

As for UCF, they have now earned my respect after 2 undefeated seasons, power 5 or not. If memory serves me right, it took Boise State a couple of years to gain the pollsters respect before they broke through and proved they belonged by beating OU in the Fiesta Bowl. UCF did beat an "unmotivated" Auburn team last season, so I will give them that. If they beat LSU to end this season, I gotta have them in the top 8 or so to begin next year so they have a LEGIT shot at the top 4 next year. 

10 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

No not a Texans fan. More of a Texans fan than a Cowboys fan. I don't think we are far off in our thinking. I am not against an expansion to 8. I think I would rather have the Committee choose the top 8, as they do the top 4 now. That way if Northwestern were to upset someone in a one week game, the committee could save the day. They could say "even with that one win, Northwestern doesn't need to be in after their pitiful 4 losses to AKRON and Duke". And, at that point, pick the top 8 teams.

I will concede to agree to this.. mainly because I think that the winning of each Power 5 conference will more than likely have an end result of finishing in the top 8.  I will probably not ever agree that it doesn't need expansion, though.  Every single year there is a real, very legitimate argument for at least one team that was left out of the top 4 that could/should have been.  I'm not talking about being mad.  I'm talking about a decision with pretty severe implications concerning who is truly the National Champion.  There is a much bigger difference in the picking of teams ranked 2-5 (which could usually be switched around justifiably) and 8-10 (which would play the best team in the country Round 1 anyway..but still much easier to determine).

I just want to see it more of a true playoff format.  One in which you don't get as much time to prepare for several different opponents.  One in which you don't get an entire month to rest, heal, and prepare.  One in which you have to stay sharp and focused..and play beat up for consecutive weeks (not 2).  I just want to see it done like every other sport.  Right now I don't get as excited about the FBS playoff as I do the NCAA BB bracket.. and that shouldn't be the case.  December Madness needs to be a thing the way that March Madness is.

9 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

And they ended up winning it all. ROLL TIDE!

4 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

Kyler probably wins the Heisman. He played full games. Tua played 3 quarters a week. 

That makes the numbers Tua put up even more impressive and he did it against way better defenses than anyone plays in the Big 12.  

The one valid argument I get for Kyler is that if you take Tua off Bama, they are still the most talented team in the country.  Without Kyler, I Dont think OU would be in the CFP.  

4 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

That makes the numbers Tua put up even more impressive and he did it against way better defenses than anyone plays in the Big 12.  

The one valid argument I get for Kyler is that if you take Tua off Bama, they are still the most talented team in the country.  Without Kyler, I’m Dont think OU would be in the CFP.  

I'm not saying it's right. No argument from me. But I wouldn't be surprised if he wins it because his numbers are greater. Both had fantastic years. My gut tells me Kyler wins it. I hope he don't. I can't put my finger on why, but I cannot stand that guy.

13 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Before the Heisman award tonight Offensive snaps this season, Heisman finalists - Dwayne Haskins 962, Kyler Murray 785, Tua Tagovailoa 575... Tua played against four top 35 defenses. The top def OU played was Army..

Still won the Heisman. 

On a side note, Saban flips two stud DBs while he's sitting in New York. Dude is unreal.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

RC Slocum is on the new CFP Playoff committee.  Just in time for the Ags to make a run to the National Championship!

This is the hidden content, please

Bahahaha!!! That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

--Larry the Cable Guy

----Whoopi Goldberg's Lips

On 12/4/2018 at 10:30 AM, Tigers2010 said:

1.Rams

2.Patriots

3.Chiefs

4. Saints

Saints@Rams

Chiefs@Patriots.

Aren’t you Mr. Smarty Pants?