Silsbee vs WOS - Regional Finals

STigerNation

4 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Yea Saturday would be much better. The weather shouldn't be a disadvantage at this point in the playoffs. But with state being on Friday morning. No1 wants a short week to prepare

State is 3 weeks down the road.It would be a short week for the semi.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

And don't disrespect us like that.  Giddings was better than your two last playoff opponents...  You won't be winning by two scores....

Come on bmtsoulja jasper was better than anyone silsbee has played.and there play calling was on point. I think silsbee is one of the most talented teams in our area.but  3 things that has always bothered me.one is the play calling,second can they stop the run.and third can they run the ball consistently to keep the defense off the field.cooper has burned them now for 3yrs.so what makes me think they can do it now.in order to be the man u have to beat the man.in case u dont know58,69,49,4,2,23.has this a totally different defense. I'm sorry with these adjustments that QB will struggle. W.o wants to pose there will at running the ball.they have a better defense than silsbee right now.they can not fall behind this time bcz there offense is better this time around.

7 hours ago, bzy said:

Your wrong - half the team didnt quit, rather it was 8 senior starters were kicked off the team for missing practice/insubordination. And as crazy as it may sound, it actually made us better. At WO-S no one person is bigger then the team . . . held true when i played back in 1996 to 1998 and it will remain a staple as long as Cornel is there. My senior yr in 98' was the time Silsbee beat us in the playoffs, and they should have - because all week we were running plays to get ready for the LaMarque Cougars in the 3rd Round instead of practicing for the Silsbee Tigers that friday in the 1st rd.

No one expected Silsbee nor WOS to be this far after both finishing with matching 6-4 records to end the season but here they are with the stakes being the highest they have ever been in a matchup. Give me WOS everyday of the week and twice on friday night  . . .  24-22

We didnt play Lamarque in '96(we lost to Waller). It was '97 we lost to LaMarque.

7 hours ago, bzy said:

Your wrong - half the team didnt quit, rather it was 8 senior starters were kicked off the team for missing practice/insubordination. And as crazy as it may sound, it actually made us better. At WO-S no one person is bigger then the team . . . held true when i played back in 1996 to 1998 and it will remain a staple as long as Cornel is there. My senior yr in 98' was the time Silsbee beat us in the playoffs, and they should have - because all week we were running plays to get ready for the LaMarque Cougars in the 3rd Round instead of practicing for the Silsbee Tigers that friday in the 1st rd.

No one expected Silsbee nor WOS to be this far after both finishing with matching 6-4 records to end the season but here they are with the stakes being the highest they have ever been in a matchup. Give me WOS everyday of the week and twice on friday night  . . .  24-22

That whole week/game was crazy.(of course I know you know this) First of all, we played at TJ's football field for a playoff game. Then it was a giant mud bowl because of all the rain. Then all of us were making stupid mistakes that we hadn't made all year(Me included!)! It was the perfect storm for an upset.........the worst part about all that is I could dang near guarantee we would have smoked LaMarque that season....smh

3 hours ago, png9mon said:

Once again placing the team ahead of the fans, which, by the way is the reason that there is a team.  You know, parents, financial support, etc...  Very exciting for teams to play at new fancy facilities, very unfair for fans who cannot afford to travel there, at this already financially costly time of year. 

Well....... It really is all about the TEAMS, i.e. the players.

47 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Not sure how banged up Jasper would have done. May have won but without the 3 I saw listed they are a long way from the team that earned that ranking all year.  

Even without the 3 your talking about Jasper was still the better team than Giddings.Wish those 3 could of played to see if WOS could of slowed them down with their revamped defense.

53 minutes ago, kicker 2.0 said:

That whole week/game was crazy.(of course I know you know this) First of all, we played at TJ's football field for a playoff game. Then it was a giant mud bowl because of all the rain. Then all of us were making stupid mistakes that we hadn't made all year(Me included!)! It was the perfect storm for an upset.........the worst part about all that is I could dang near guarantee we would have smoked LaMarque that season....smh

Oh yea I know it was always a crazy week. Wish my memory was a lil clearer. But y gearing up for lamarque? I know we would've smoked em

53 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

We didn't hav a chance to get that far in 96. But we could've if the team would've stayed on track. We also lost to lamarque in 95 in the dome

Actually, we were a team full of Sophomores and Juniors.... If we would have beat Waller, we would have played LaMarque the following week. We were seriously overachieving making it that far to be honest. 

Clearly this would be a huge win for Silsbee, arguably the biggest ever.  But what about WOS? 

Obviously it couldn't be the biggest, not for a 4 time State Championship School.  But how big is it? 

To me the 86 and 87 wins were the biggest because they came against the very best in Div 4A.  2015 and 2016 were huge of course, especially when combined with the 4 straight appearances.   But WOS didn't beat the BEST 4A teams on the way to the championships.  I think both Carthage and La Vega would beaten the Mustangs in those years.  And probably Argyle in 2015.  From what I've seen so far this year in watching Silsbee's run, Div II isn't quite as tough as Div I, which stands to reason.  But that's neither here nor there.  The bottom line is that the WOS program is arguably the strongest in the state for the last 40 years all things considered.

And where does that put us?  Well, the WOS faithful can (and do) say, "We beat you guys practically every time we meet in the regular season and preseason."

But Tiger folks can rebut, "So what?  We get beat regularly by a certain 3A team (that shall remain nameless).  Big deal,  none of that ever keeps us from making the playoffs.  And you guys have never sent us home in the post season.  We, on the other hand, HAVE sent you home. And that more than trumps all those less important games."

So, can a win on Friday be just another Forest Gump type moment for the Mustangs?  "So we went to the playoffs... again.  And we won our quarterfinal game.... again."

I wonder.