Silsbee 76 Beaumont United 73/FINAL

WOSgrad

2 hours ago, bradyb said:

Silsbee had the best 3 on the court though. Anytime one team has the best 3, I would think they should win. But in reality, Silsbee should NEVER beat any BISD school. Look at the amount of kids enrolled in the schools. It is ridiculous! Subject MIGHT have the most potential on the next level, but he is not the best player on that team. (Kasen is)!! But #4 ate Silsbee up last year and he barely touched the ball this year??? I believe BU has a great chance at making a deep run. I also feel very confident that Silsbee will win state again. 

In theory you are correct, the larger school should usually beat the smaller school, but I wouldn't say Silsbee should NEVER beat a BISD team, certainly not this Silsbee team.  The team that has the 3 best players even if its the smaller school will often win and usually should win.  Unlike maybe in football, 3 guys can flat out take over a basketball game regardless of how deep they are compared to the bigger school or even how talented the teams are from top to bottom.

On paper a school like Beaumont United should be favored to beat Silsbee almost every single year, if not every single year. So I don't blame United fans for feeling like they should have won. Of course being favored doesn't stop a team from a cold shooting night or bad turnovers and questionable coaching decisions.

That's why Silsbee can pull off a win against these schools sometimes. Even back when I was in school, Silsbee would get an occasional W against West Brook or Central.

And Silsbee basketball is a different animal right now.  They have probably the most experienced team in SETX.  2 4 yard starters, 1 3 year starters.  2 form or state tournament MVP's, and a 2 time championship coach.  Hard to beat them NOW. but lets not get ahead of ourselves.  There was a few times a few years ago where silsbee basketball was beaten by central for 40 points TWICE.  Point is, some teams have more talent than others.  That central team obviously had talent as they marched to the state tournament AND to the region tournament finals... 

7 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

On paper a school like Beaumont United should be favored to beat Silsbee almost every single year, if not every single year. So I don't blame United fans for feeling like they should have won. Of course being favored doesn't stop a team from a cold shooting night or bad turnovers and questionable coaching decisions.

That's why Silsbee can pull off a win against these schools sometimes. Even back when I was in school, Silsbee would get an occasional W against West Brook or Central.

Basketball is a little different than football.  Mostly it's your best 5 vs my best 5.  That best 5 can appear from small schools.  Not that much of a differance in basketball...

5 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Basketball is a little different than football.  Mostly it's your best 5 vs my best 5.  That best 5 can appear from small schools.  Not that much of a differance in basketball...

You are right about our team right now.  But that is not the norm.  Sure it’s 5 vs 5 but picking 5 out of 2500 vs 5 out of 750 is a big advantage.

11 minutes ago, ST413 said:

You are right about our team right now.  But that is not the norm.  Sure it’s 5 vs 5 but picking 5 out of 2500 vs 5 out of 750 is a big advantage.

Talent comes in waves.  This Tiger team is special. Been seen it several years back...  When this group moves on, they'll be another special group.  More than likely from Beaumont.  That's how it happens... No shame in losing to them.

If Silsbee beats WB tonight, that probably wouldn't be that much of a big deal...Silsbee has been playing 6a and 5a teams for about 4 years not consistently...

On 11/27/2018 at 0:58 PM, TrustTheProcess said:

In theory you are correct, the larger school should usually beat the smaller school, but I wouldn't say Silsbee should NEVER beat a BISD team, certainly not this Silsbee team.  The team that has the 3 best players even if its the smaller school will often win and usually should win.  Unlike maybe in football, 3 guys can flat out take over a basketball game regardless of how deep they are compared to the bigger school or even how talented the teams are from top to bottom.

Oh trust me I know! 

On 11/27/2018 at 4:00 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Yeah but what are the chances that the best 5 out of 700 would be better than the best 5 out of 2500. That is my point. It is a HUGE difference. If there wasn't, there would not be different divisions lol

40 minutes ago, bradyb said:

Yeah but what are the chances that the best 5 out of 700 would be better than the best 5 out of 2500. That is my point. It is a HUGE difference. If there wasn't, there would not be different divisions lol

It affects sports with more participants more though..  Like football, track, soccer, baseball, ect....

On 11/27/2018 at 3:57 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

And Silsbee basketball is a different animal right now. They have probably the most experienced team in SETX.  2 4 yard starters, 1 3 year starters.  2 form or state tournament MVP's, and a 2 time championship coach.  Hard to beat them NOW. but lets not get ahead of ourselves.  There was a few times a few years ago where silsbee basketball was beaten by central for 40 points TWICE.  Point is, some teams have more talent than others.  That central team obviously had talent as they marched to the state tournament AND to the region tournament finals... 

Maybe the whole state huh?  If you look at the core group...

I had a conversation with coach Todd Sutherland he said that Silsbee basically has a 6a school playing in 4a and Silsbee only lost to the Highly ranked and very talented South Garland team rated # 2 I 6a by 5 points so this particular tigers squad can play with the big boys you don’t see many 4a teams taking on highly ranked competition like that and the tigers probably have between 5-8 players still in football this still is a championship team and have learned how to play the half court slow down games as well.

55 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

This SHOULD be the best Silsbee team we’ve seen.   They have certainly had deeper teams, but as @BlkMamba24correctly points out, deeper doesn’t always mean better.   IF the team stays focused, at full strength, they are a favorite or at worst a small underdog, against literally any team in the state.   

I expect this team to end up being deeper than last year but of course not as deep as the year before.

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Maybe the whole state huh?  If you look at the core group...

Well, I said that because it's mostly just the big 3.  Tyler and a couple of the football boys has some experience,  it not as much as the big three.  Didn't really know if other teams in the state returned more experience than Silsbee or not...

40 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Well, I said that because it's mostly just the big 3.  Tyler and a couple of the football boys has some experience,  it not as much as the big three.  Didn't really know if other teams in the state returned more experience than Silsbee or not...

Probably some with as much or more.  But I will take those guys in maroon :D