FB Marshall (12-0) vs PNG (9-3)

badndn

I love when everyone thinks PNG has no hope of winning, makes you play that much harder.

Shug is 373 yards from the all-time PNG rushing yards record that Gordon LeBoeuf has held since the 1950's.

Will most likely need 2 games to break record, so PNG needs to give everything they have for this win!

Playoff Football is where PNG Lives!!!:)   Love those Indians!!!

27 minutes ago, FrodoNDN said:

Any clue on Fort Bend's defense?

Can be scored on like Manvels or Crosbys was. Their O is the killer. They went toe to toe with Manvel before barely edging them out. That was without Hornsby. With him they win by a couple scores probably. If we can manage, the best scenario for us is it turns into a crosby like game where we trade scores

13 hours ago, sportsfan_01 said:

They average 14.9 ppg 

That’s misleading. Against Houston teams, they gave up next to nothing and most of what they did give up was late with backups in. 

Against better comp, they were an average D, but they scored alot. Quick score offenses usually do give up fair share on defense, but a 56-35 W is just as good as a 21-7 W!

50 minutes ago, badndn said:

That’s misleading. Against Houston teams, they gave up next to nothing and most of what they did give up was late with backups in. 

Against better comp, they were an average D, but they scored alot. Quick score offenses usually do give up fair share on defense, but a 56-35 W is just as good as a 21-7 W!

I'll take a 63-56 win for the PNG Indians.:)  As a matter of fact, any score that PNG is on top would be just as good to me!

16 minutes ago, TradenupBH said:

Same stuff was said in 1999 about La Marque. They had won numerous state championships. Y'all remember what happened?

That was a great day. We'd all love for history to repeat itself. The key there was PNG's punishing defense. Our defense has gotten better and better from week to week. If we can avoid any big mistakes and make sure open field tackles, we can keep ourselves in the game. We shot ourselves in the foot against College Station in 2016 with big mistakes, and College Station capitalized. FB Marshall will do the same. 

3 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

That was a great day. We'd all love for history to repeat itself. The key there was PNG's punishing defense. Our defense has gotten better and better from week to week. If we can avoid any big mistakes and make sure open field tackles, we can keep ourselves in the game. We shot ourselves in the foot against College Station in 2016 with big mistakes, and College Station capitalized. FB Marshall will do the same. 

The key to that game was on field adjustments by D Long and Mike Long. Lamarque had been to 4 in a row, not sure if they had won any, but they where the team you had to beat to get to the dance. D Long threw behind the zone all night and it worked. And defensively Gholke put the nastiest hit on a receiver I have ever seen in high school football. That was the 2 differences, great on field adjustments, and a defense that laid the wood... Will take a special game this go around as well. If we go in with the same ole, our only hope is a shootout. Fort Bend will get 50++.... We need timely turnovers, great special teams play, the ability to stay within 2 scores, and momentum late in the 4th in order to pull it off.

In today's game, the hit by Chris Gohlke on the LaMarque WR would be targeting and he would be ejected from the game.  I'm not taking a jab at Chris Gohlke.  My comment is more about how the game of football has changed in the past 19 years.  In 1999, that type of hit was not frowned upon.  DBs were coached to hammer WRs running seam routes. PN-G was penalized for the hit (15 yards for unnecessary roughness), but there was no doubt that the hit changed the game.  LaMarque WRs were looking for the hammer when running up the seams or running crossing routes. That hit today would be on You Tube and people across the globe would be screaming to shut down the Texas high school playoffs.

Dustin Long ran for his life much of the night inside the Astrodome, but he extended plays and hit PN-G WRs over the top and behind the deep zones all night long.  As I remember, the first two series were scripted by PN-G.  The Indians dinked and dunked with some quick and short passes.  Once LaMarque rolled up tight coverage, Dustin Long burned them over the top.  He was on fire that night throwing lasers inside the Dome.  The defense played lights out.  The LaMarque RB got his yards, but the Indians shut him down around the goal line.  22-6.

Good memories.

Go Indians.  Peace.

43 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

In today's game, the hit by Chris Gohlke on the LaMarque WR would be targeting and he would be ejected from the game.  I'm not taking a jab at Chris Gohlke.  My comment is more about how the game of football has changed in the past 19 years.  In 1999, that type of hit was not frowned upon.  DBs were coached to hammer WRs running seam routes. PN-G was penalized for the hit (15 yards for unnecessary roughness), but there was no doubt that the hit changed the game.  LaMarque WRs were looking for the hammer when running up the seams or running crossing routes. That hit today would be on You Tube and people across the globe would be screaming to shut down the Texas high school playoffs.

Dustin Long ran for his life much of the night inside the Astrodome, but he extended plays and hit PN-G WRs over the top and behind the deep zones all night long.  As I remember, the first two series were scripted by PN-G.  The Indians dinked and dunked with some quick and short passes.  Once LaMarque rolled up tight coverage, Dustin Long burned them over the top.  He was on fire that night throwing lasers inside the Dome.  The defense played lights out.  The LaMarque RB got his yards, but the Indians shut him down around the goal line.  22-6.

Good memories.

Go Indians.  Peace.

Makes you wonder how Burnet would have done with this group

At this stage of the playoffs little things matter, a lot. Marshals defense is NOT their bright spot, but obviously they’ve gotten away with it all year. The buffalo poor defense will not change how they practice nor their poor defensive expectations of their coaching staff, and thus their downfall either Friday or next week. Defense still wins championships in all team sports.  Marshal sees what is on the horizon with Huntsville so I think they’ll be looking ahead to some hornets. They’ve watched png/Huntsville video. In their minds they’re are already repping against Huntsville so if PNG starts well, a victory is possible. Harder to overcome adversity against a team you (in their minds) have already put up on the bookshelves with another win. I don’t bet, but if I did, the stage is set for an upset. PNG has won many close games which has helped prepare them for this one. If PNG is tied or ahead at half, they win. Indians will not blow out the Buffs, yet buffs could blow out png. I pick png by 10 in the upset. Tall receiver and smart special teams (f g kicker, onside) must have great games. 

If I remember right LM had went 3 straight years to the finals, winning once during that time. My original post was in reference to how dominate LM was in the Houston area and nobody gave PNG a chance. PNG rolled into the dome and beat them behind Long and a stout D including the dome rocking hit of Gohlke (RIP). That hit took the soul of La Marque. That's the type of performance needed in this game. Don't see PNG winning a shootout. IMO, PNG will need to win time of possession and have long time consuming drives that end in points, and get some big stops on Defense and couple of turnovers.

Somebody needs to step up on the D and get that old school PNG defense swag back.

1 hour ago, Whoa said:

Makes you wonder how Burnet would have done with this group

Not me.  I'm guessing 5-5 or 6-4.  His overall record was 95-64 (.596).  A little better than .500.  I was not a fan of student body right, student body left, 3-step passing game, and punting.  I like scores of 72-69 vs. 3-0.  I get it.  Some like offense, some like defense.

Go Indians.  Peace.

Love all the posts about png and Dustin Long the year y’all beat lamarque. We (Crosby)lost to them the week before  13-7 and I was the defensive coordinator. Near the end, they fumbled and my defensive end could of scooped and scored for the win, but he didn’t drop his big butt and he ended up fumbling and recovering. We didn’t put it in. Great memories, Dome had some great games, teams, and memories.