UCF

TxHoops

The UCF Knights have not won 23 in a row.  They haven’t lost a game since 2016. They beat a top 10 Auburn team in their bowl game last year, an Auburn team that beat Alabama several weeks before.  If they win out and don’t get in, not going to be a good look for the playoff system as is.  

This is the perfect year to throw the mid majors a bone.  At most, we will have Bama, Clemson and ND undefeated.  I hope Michigan wins out so they will have to make a choice (and knowing the ncaa, the wrong one).  But whether it’s Michigan, OU or whomever, UCF will have earned its shot to be taken over any one loss team.  

But they will probably lose to South Florida and bail the ncaa out.  

105th in strength of schedule.  No way they deserve to make the playoff 

And in case you're wondering what Vegas oddsmakers think, they're not believers, either. According to the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, every other playoff contender would be favored over the Knights, from Alabama (-27.5) to Washington State (-5.5). Ohio State, which fell behind UCF this week, would be a 13.5-point favorite. And current No. 4 Michigan would be an 18.5-point favorite.

Bama is going to win regardless.  They are 3 scores better than anyone in their own conference.  Put the Knights in and let them have a shot at beating another SEC top 10 team.  The fact that Mack disagrees always makes me feel better about my positon ;)  And you do know Vegas doesn’t make their lines based upon what they think the result will be, right?

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

They wouldn't have put them in anyway. Probably not deserving of a top 4 playoff spot either. They are an excellent team though. Still hoping for an 8 team playoff structure. That would allow a team like them to at least have a chance to prove themselves.

I don't see why they wouldn't be if Oklahoma and OSU were to lose. I wouldn't have put them in over a 1 loss Oklahoma or OSU.  UCF with a healthy Milton would have played anybody in the country not Rolling Tide a great game. 

1 hour ago, Tigers2010 said:

I don't see why they wouldn't be if Oklahoma and OSU were to lose. I wouldn't have put them in over a 1 loss Oklahoma or OSU.  UCF with a healthy Milton would have played anybody in the country not Rolling Tide a great game. 

I understand your point, and I don't totally disagree, but I can see where the committee would have a hard time putting them in the top 4 due to their weak schedule. Who was their big test? 24th ranked Cincy? What about a meager 1 point win over Memphis (who they play again this week)? Look, those guys can roll on offense. I get it. It's too bad they can't get a quality matchup before it's time to pick the rankings. With their QB out, it's almost a moot point. Let me ask you this. As far as putting in the best 4, would you pick an 11-2 Georgia (assuming a loss to Alabama this week), or would you put in a 12-0 UCF (assuming a win over Memphis this week)?

27 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I understand your point, and I don't totally disagree, but I can see where the committee would have a hard time putting them in the top 4 due to their weak schedule. Who was their big test? 24th ranked Cincy? What about a meager 1 point win over Memphis (who they play again this week)? Look, those guys can roll on offense. I get it. It's too bad they can't get a quality matchup before it's time to pick the rankings. With their QB out, it's almost a moot point. Let me ask you this. As far as putting in the best 4, would you pick an 11-2 Georgia (assuming a loss to Alabama this week), or would you put in a 12-0 UCF (assuming a win over Memphis this week)?

If I am putting in the best 4, I would put Georgia 11-2 in over Oklahoma and OSU, as well as UCF.

And to your point about a meager 1 point win over Memphis, Notre Dame beat BALL STATE in OVERTIME. Memphis is much better than Ball State. Beat Pitt by a meager 5 points. Beat Vandy by a meager 5 points.

I get it. I am not advocating UCF should be in. All I am saying is there is not much difference between UCF and Oklahoma/Michigan/Florida. 

1 hour ago, Tigers2010 said:

If I am putting in the best 4, I would put Georgia 11-2 in over Oklahoma and OSU, as well as UCF.

And to your point about a meager 1 point win over Memphis, Notre Dame beat BALL STATE in OVERTIME. Memphis is much better than Ball State. Beat Pitt by a meager 5 points. Beat Vandy by a meager 5 points.

I get it. I am not advocating UCF should be in. All I am saying is there is not much difference between UCF and Oklahoma/Michigan/Florida. 

I agree with everything you said. I’m not on the Notre Dame bandwagon either. I just wish we could watch him play A top 10 team, before making a decision. That’s not gonna happen. So I guess we’ll have to see how they do in the bowl game to know if we are right or wrong.Even then Without their quarterback, it won’t be a true picture.

4 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

ND was beating Ball St 24-6 after 3.  Ball scored 10 in the 4th quarter to make the final 24-16.  It didn’t go OT. 

As for UCF being close to OU/Michigan/Florida it really isn’t close depth wise.  No doubt UCF could play with these teams for 1 game, especially when it’s their Super Bowl and the other team doesn’t care like last year at Auburn. 

The main difference in the other teams is depth, which matters a ton over the course of the season.  Not so much in a Bowl Game a month after the year when everyone is healthy.  If UCF played those other teams schedules, they would lose 3 or 4 games minimum.  

19 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

ND was beating Ball St 24-6 after 3.  Ball scored 10 in the 4th quarter to make the final 24-16.  It didn’t go OT. 

As for UCF being close to OU/Michigan/Florida it really isn’t close depth wise.  No doubt UCF could play with these teams for 1 game, especially when it’s their Super Bowl and the other team doesn’t care like last year at Auburn. 

The main difference in the other teams is depth, which matters a ton over the course of the season.  Not so much in a Bowl Game a month after the year when everyone is healthy.  If UCF played those other teams schedules, they would lose 3 or 4 games minimum.  

Probably. But the thought is them in a playoff game. I'm not saying the should be in or would win it. But to act like they couldn't complete isn't true either. Without Milton it don't matter but they should be in if the scenario was the alternative is a 2 loss team. That's all I'm saying.