HOOPSGIVING CLASSIC

15 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

The Yates vs Morton Ranch has been cancelled.  The talk in the stands is schools are afraid to play JY because of recent gang activity that happened at another school.  That's an ugly rumor and it is probably not true.  Still, that game has been cancelled for some reason.

The reason for the game being cancelled is that there is a threat by a gang that shot and killed the young man last week on a current player for Yates. Yates sup has decided to cancel Yates games for the rest of the week.

39 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The reason for the game being cancelled is that there is a threat by a gang that shot and killed the young man last week on a current player for Yates. Yates sup has decided to cancel Yates games for the rest of the week.

I guess this is why the Yates/Madison game was cancelled last week?

17 minutes ago, ST413 said:

I think I have seen 2 or 3 games of theirs cancelled prior to tonight.

They played and won over BU in that opening showcase on the 10th.  

JY had a game against Madison on their home court on a Tuesday.  I briefly thought about going to that game.  That was  a long work day and I decided to go home.   It was sort of cold  and earlier that day I saw one , maybe two snowflakes in the air.  When I saw the game was cancelled I figured it was because of the weather.

9 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

JY had a game against Madison on their home court on a Tuesday.  I briefly thought about going to that game.  That was  a long work day and I decided to go home.   It was sort of cold  and earlier that day I saw one , maybe two snowflakes in the air.  When I saw the game was cancelled I figured it was because of the weather.

That one was and I think I saw one earlier that may have been a result of football.  

19 minutes ago, Who That said:

That's just crazy ..! Prayers for his family 

I'm not sure how it fits in a time line, but a student at Lamar high school was shot and killed near that campus. He was walking home, a car drove up and they shot him.  Supposedly they got out the car,, stood over the victim and shot him again three or four times.  The connection to Yates?  The student had transferred to Lamar from Yates.  I guess to get away from a rival gang.  I guess the ball player for yates is being threatened by the perpetrators.

7 hours ago, Kountzer said:

That Madison game was scheduled to be played  the same day of the incident.  So I bet that’s why it was cancelled.

JY played at Episcopal HS that Saturday, last Saturday.  Nothing happened.  Ep won the game.  The people at Ep didn't care or they didn't know.  I'm thinking they didn't know.   

The people at Houston Christian HS knew, which is where the pre thanksgiving showcase was held.  They shut that JY vs Morton Ranch game down.  Ticket price was $12.00.  That matchup was the one I really wanted to see.  If I had known the game wasn't going to be played I probably would have gone home.  

That Spring Woods vs Dickinson was a good game.   SW has a good team. Their star player is as advertised. Dickinson is good, very athletic.

2 hours ago, Kountzer said:

JY played at Episcopal HS that Saturday, last Saturday.  Nothing happened.  Ep won the game.  The people at Ep didn't care or they didn't know.  I'm thinking they didn't know.   

The people at Houston Christian HS knew, which is where the pre thanksgiving showcase was held.  They shut that JY vs Morton Ranch game down.  Ticket price was $12.00.  That matchup was the one I really wanted to see.  If I had known the game wasn't going to be played I probably would have gone home.  

That Spring Woods vs Dickinson was a good game.   SW has a good team. Their star player is as advertised. Dickinson is good, very athletic.

The Yates ISD superintendent cancelled all Yates games for this week. Not Houston Christian and not Jim Hicks and his folks who were running the event.

2 hours ago, Kountzer said:

You saw the best game of the day - Shadow Creek vs Concordia.   Going in that was the premier matchup and sounds like it lived up to its billing.  I know where you are coming from - Yates-MR is an intriguing matchup.   But it wouldn’t have been a good game in my opinion.  Would not have been surprised if Cryer-Lampkin ended up with 80 points between them.  

Here are the scores from the evening games:

Eisenhower 73

SA Wagner 60 F

Atascocita 48

Cy Falls 30 F

Bellaire 68

Houston Christian 61 F

Shadow Creek has a nice team.  Guards Akin # 13, and # 3 Trejon, they both can shoot and push the ball.   SC opened up a big lead and were threatening to run away with it.  Other guards for concordia started hitting 3s and made it a game.  Hellums had an off game.  If he shot a better percentage they would of won, but he didn't.

I don't know the other teams in 5A but SC has to be a contender to win it all.

32 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Shadow Creek has a nice team.  Guards Akin # 13, and # 3 Trejon, they both can shoot and push the ball.   SC opened up a big lead and were threatening to run away with it.  Other guards for concordia started hitting 3s and made it a game.  Hellums had an off game.  If he shot a better percentage they would of won, but he didn't.

I don't know the other teams in 5A but SC has to be a contender to win it all.

I agree.  Definitely a contender.  Henry is a player for sure. 

5A is really interesting.  You have your usual suspects including Lancaster.  Watch out for Sulphur Springs.  They are ranked around #15 but they beat 6A #2 Rockwall last week.  6-8 OU signee Victor Iwuakor can go.