Silsbee 61 Port Arthur Memorial 80/FINAL

19 minutes ago, Tyler Dixson said:

He played well, definitely didn’t know he was a freshman. Everyone for Memorial was, no surprise, very good. Lofton and Clover were the difference though. 

Both had double doubles apparently.  Love watching Lofton play as well.  He’s a throwback, old school craftsman out there. 

3 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Bush makes this team go.   So with the combination of him playing bad and the PA big man playing great, it was a recipe for disaster for the Tigers. 

Good observation.  I love Dev, Jordyn, and all the other good players past & present, but if Silsbee had Bush, playing his game, they would have beaten Lincoln in that championship game. He was in the 8th grade then. Bush started last season shooting luke warm, and the team started slow.  Bray was red hot when they played Yates in the regional final and stayed hot during the state championship tournament and the rest is history.  

I’m surprised.  This is 30 points different than I anticipated.  I have no idea what it means. It’s a very good start for PA obviously.  With so many question marks this is a huge confidence builder.  They have to be thrilled about it.  For the Tigers?  It’s a tough start for another very challenging preseason.  Oh well, once more into the breach dear friends, once more!

8 hours ago, Tyler Dixson said:

He played well, definitely didn’t know he was a freshman. Everyone for Memorial was, no surprise, very good. Lofton and Clover were the difference though. 

Actually Clover is a junior,  he is listed on last years roster at state as a soph.  I thought he looked a little too seasoned for a freshman but you never know these days.

8 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Clover finished with 23.   He’s also a long 6-8 who makes it very difficult to get to the rim.   

Yes he did and we couldnt get any calls on him early so he got to stay on the court a lot. I know this was one in many eyes, that we should have won but it doesnt worry me.  Yes a larger margin than i would have thought for a loss but it git that way pretty late in the game.  I think we were within 5 or so with 3 or 4 minutes left.  And PA is very solid plying at their place without almost all of our bench.  The Tigers will be fine thats why Sigler plays these opponents,  like i told some of the guys its not a win in the first game that they are after its a win in that last one!!

2 hours ago, ST413 said:

Yes he did and we couldnt get any calls on him early so he got to stay on the court a lot. I know this was one in many eyes, that we should have won but it doesnt worry me.  Yes a larger margin than i would have thought for a loss but it git that way pretty late in the game.  I think we were within 5 or so with 3 or 4 minutes left.  And PA is very solid plying at their place without almost all of our bench.  The Tigers will be fine thats why Sigler plays these opponents,  like i told some of the guys its not a win in the first game that they are after its a win in that last one!!

They were down by 3. And PA got that and 1 to push it to 6.great game by both teams.when the rest of silsbee team get to bb 4A schools maybe a couple might have a chance to beat them.but I doubt it. They're fr fr. Only chance any 4A school will have to beat them if they could slow the game down.and I can't see that.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Some say it wasn't any kids or people from PA, but it was kids from Silsbee and Beaumont...

Silsbee kids have to be ready to fade some of this stuff.  Saw an interview of Coach Sig by the PA News talking about getting everyone’s best shot.  Last night’s game and some of these early one’s aside, many of Silsbee’s opponents will never have a chance to know what it’s like to win a state title.  Beating silsbee is the next best thing to them.   Silsbee will be most teams’ “super bowl.”  

Silsbee beat Concordia and Concordia beat PA so I'm still in the I" think the to teams are very good a close to each other they could play again tomorrow and Silsbee could win buy 19.. Plus Silsbee hasn't played in a week PA. has played three games coming in to this one. I believe United will be the team to beat this year I've been very impressed with them this year.. Silsbee gets the hole team back and a few games played by San Antonio tournament they should be where they need to be.. 

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Was a bunch of girls from PA and Silsbee that got into it outside the gym.

50 minutes ago, Who That said:

Silsbee beat Concordia and Concordia beat PA so I'm still in the I" think the to teams are very good a close to each other they could play again tomorrow and Silsbee could win buy 19.. Plus Silsbee hasn't played in a week PA. has played three games coming in to this one. I believe United will be the team to beat this year I've been very impressed with them this year.. Silsbee gets the hole team back and a few games played by San Antonio tournament they should be where they need to be.. 

WRONG!!! None of the kids were from PA . Beaumont/ Silsbee 

Lol threads always turn into shouldas,wouldas,& couldas. People give the loser of most games tons of credit. Give the team who won their credit talk about what they did to win the game not who wasn’t there for the other team. It’s the coaches job to prepare who he has on the team now. From my observation Memorial weathered the early storm & when they settled down they did what any team with that type of size is suppose to do they imposed their will. Clover & Lofton had their way the entire game & Memorials guard play which I questioned would be key if they are to have a duplicate season was answered somewhat. Coach Lewis did a great job of not over coaching when his guards had a few turnovers. That is rare in these days as most have zero patience. Hats off to Calihan, Wilson,Conner, Abrams those kids were huge. They kept it simple throw it to the block make layups =win. I thought Memorial played great defense on Silsbee making them make shoot jump shots for an entire game which is hard to do. In the end great win for Memorial , Silsbee will be fine losses happen you will get everyone’s best this year keep your emotions in check FANS & players....

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Silsbee kids have to be ready to fade some of this stuff.  Saw an interview of Coach Sig by the PA News talking about getting everyone’s best shot.  Last night’s game and some of these early one’s aside, many of Silsbee’s opponents will never have a chance to know what it’s like to win a state title.  Beating silsbee is the next best thing to them.   Silsbee will be most teams’ “super bowl.”  

True...  Very true.  I'm just not liking that Silsbee couldn't overcome adversity.  At this point, many of the kids are 3 and 4 year starters.  They should have seen it all.  this PA game shouldn't have been an exception.  Losing by 19  is a true head scratcher.

6 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

True...  Very true.  I'm just not liking that Silsbee couldn't overcome adversity.  At this point, many of the kids are 3 and 4 year starters.  They should have seen it all.  this PA game shouldn't have been an exception.  Losing by 19  is a true head scratcher.

I think at this point, playing a fully staffed team who is a class bigger, who had already played some games, was a decent advantage coming in.  Add to that a cold second half of shooting, in a game where the shot needed to fall (I.e., outsized), it’s not a complete shock.  I don’t completely disagree with Who That.  These teams could play 10 times and get all kinds of widely differing results.  

And Mamba’s right.  We should give credit where credit is due.  Memorial looks poised to have a new group step up and make some noise.  Basketball is in that PA blood.  You don’t bring everything you’ve got, you’re not going to win very often against those guys.  

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I think at this point, playing a fully staffed team who is a class bigger, who had already played some games, was a decent advantage coming in.  Add to that a cold second half of shooting, in a game where the shot needed to fall (I.e., outsized), it’s not a complete shock.  I don’t completely disagree with Who That.  These teams could play 10 times and get all kinds of widely differing results.  

And Mamba’s right.  We should give credit where credit is due.  Memorial looks poised to have a new group step up and make some noise.  Basketball is in that PA blood.  You don’t bring everything you’ve got, you’re not going to win very often against those guys.  

I agree somewhat, just saying you can't teach experience...  A 2-5 point loss, understandable.  You wasn't prepared...  Fine.  19 point loss for THIS year's team is still a head scratcher no matter how you spin it.  

I did, however, expect Memorial's big man to eat down low, no matter what...