Silsbee 61 Port Arthur Memorial 80/FINAL

5 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I agree somewhat, just saying you can't teach experience...  A 2-5 point loss, understandable.  You wasn't prepared...  Fine.  19 point loss for THIS year's team is still a head scratcher no matter how you spin it.  

I did, however, expect Memorial's big man to eat down low, no matter what...

Hey Memorial won snd that final score was 19.  They do deserve the credit, we definitely didn’t do much inside at all.  However even though that final score showed a 19 pt defeat, this was one of those close games that balloon towards the end.  We got behind by 6 or 8 and could not get a shot to fall they got most of the rebounds and scored .  We started out hot......they ended hot.

16 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I agree somewhat, just saying you can't teach experience...  A 2-5 point loss, understandable.  You wasn't prepared...  Fine.  19 point loss for THIS year's team is still a head scratcher no matter how you spin it.  

Is the big man the one that I know as Junior and he is left handed?

21 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I get what you mean. 

That wasn't PAM's whole team.  They have 3 coming from football.  4 varsity players from last year's team come back and 2 of them play football.  I'm pretty sure McCain and Adam's won't use that as an excuse,  so adults using its makes no sense. Silsbee had 3 D1 talents on their team.  It's just 1 game, and the season has just started, no need for excuses from 1 game.  Memorial slowed the game down and locked down defensively.  They played to the advantage they had in size and kept Silsbee outside.

15 minutes ago, PortArthur33 said:

That wasn't PAM's whole team.  They have 3 coming from football.  4 varsity players from last year's team come back and 2 of them play football.  I'm pretty sure McCain and Adam's won't use that as an excuse,  so adults using its makes no sense. Silsbee had 3 D1 talents on their team.  It's just 1 game, and the season has just started, no need for excuses from 1 game.  Memorial slowed the game down and locked down defensively.  They played to the advantage they had in size and kept Silsbee outside.

Yeah I" believe they will both do very well this year about halfway through district we should see both teams in full stride.  :)

18 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

What happened? Channel 12 reporting fights outside the gym after the game. 

The fight outside the gym had nothing to do with the game. Was girls from Beaumont confronting a girl from Silsbee over a boy. It escalated into a full blown fight when others jumped in, one with a retractable bat. Police have verified this.

The reason for the stoppage of the game with 42 seconds left was the officiating chapter felt like things were escalating with some verbal comments and a coach from PA bowing up to one of the Silsbee players after the player fouled a Memorial player to stop the clock. Happened right in front of Memorial bench. Coach over reacted. The Silsbee player was actually helping the Memorial player up off the floor when this happened. Things got chippy then. Sigler took his players off the floor and inserted a new five to finish the game out but the officials decided to end the game.

Just to be clear, no player from either team were involved in fight outside. Fight had absolutely nothing to do with the game.

Congrats to Memorial on a very good win. I just hope the blueprint is not too exposed. ;)

33 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The fight outside the gym had nothing to do with the game. Was girls from Beaumont confronting a girl from Silsbee over a boy. It escalated into a full blown fight when others jumped in, one with a retractable bat. Police have verified this.

The reason for the stoppage of the game with 42 seconds left was the officiating chapter felt like things were escalating with some verbal comments and a coach from PA bowing up to one of the Silsbee players after the player fouled a Memorial player to stop the clock. Happened right in front of Memorial bench. Coach over reacted. The Silsbee player was actually helping the Memorial player up off the floor when this happened. Things got chippy then. Sigler took his players off the floor and inserted a new five to finish the game out but the officials decided to end the game.

Just to be clear, no player from either team were involved in fight outside. Fight had absolutely nothing to do with the game.

Congrats to Memorial on a very good win. I just hope the blueprint is not too exposed. ;)

Girls are meaner than boys anyway ;) 

AAW’s version makes a lot of sense.  Believe it or not, these two teams are extremely friendly off the court (as they were last year).  And as I was told by more than one of Silsbee’s opposing players last year, although they get after you between the whistles, they probably displayed more instances of good sportsmanship than any team they played outside the whistles.  I don’t think that’s by accident and have no doubt that although they are good kids, they have had that hammered home by Coach Sig, his assistants, and their parents.  Glad these two got to compete this year and I’m sure we are all rooting for them to both duplicate last season’s success.   

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Girls are meaner than boys anyway ;) 

AAW’s version makes a lot of sense.  Believe it or not, these two teams are extremely friendly off the court (as they were last year).  And as I was told by more than one of Silsbee’s opposing players last year, although they get after you between the whistles, they probably displayed more instances of good sportsmanship than any team they played outside the whistles.  I don’t think that’s by accident and have no doubt that although they are good kids, they have had that hammered home by Coach Sig, his assistants, and their parents.  Glad these two got to compete this year and I’m sure we are all rooting for them to both duplicate last season’s success.   

In this situation with these two teams, I never had any concern with the players.

The fans for each team, that's the concern.

43 minutes ago, ST413 said:

That’s why I was wondering when I saw the game was stopped.  I saw nothing between the players during the game.  

Its total respect between these kids.  These kids actually wanted a 409 cookout together to celebrate their state titles.  PAM HC did overreact because the Silsbee kid intentionally fouled a kid which is normal in basketball,  but tried to help him up.