Jasper vs. Bellville - Area Round

Bulldogs92

6 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

The winner of this game gets the winner of the WOS/Sweeny game. I objectively believe that Jasper is the favorite in Region 3 to at least make the state semifinals as it's the deepest Bulldog team in a very long time. I'll start this thread by taking Jasper by 21. 

That rematch is what I’m looking forward too, and if/when it happens i hope I can make it!

Bellville is scrappy I’ll say that. We are gonna try and control time of possession the best we can to keep Jaspers offense off the field. The future is looking bright. A few of our key players are freshmen and sophomores. One of our best RBs/Athletes hasn’t got to play all year due to a injury suffered before the season started and he also is a sophomore. So losing to this really good Jasper team isn’t the end of the world. But they will give it hell lol

2 hours ago, Old school eagle said:

I was there when they played in 1959.  Belleville had UT running back Ernie Koy and was favored.  Think Jasper put a pretty good whooping on them that night.

I wondered how long it would take someone to mention Ernie Koy, Jr.  I posted this over on the Downlow several days ago and amazingly no one from Bellville even responded about Koy.:

Quote Originally Posted by j_dog 
This is the hidden content, please
Hey, where's the interest in this thread? Pulling for Bellville. If Bellville and Jasper both win this week, it will set up a rematch so that Bellville will have a chance to get even for 1959. Joe Ed Lynn starred for Bellville at RB in that game, and went on to star for Sam Houston State. Anyone remember the name of Bellville's other running back?

2 hours ago, Old school eagle said:

I was there when they played in 1959.  Belleville had UT running back Ernie Koy and was favored.  Think Jasper put a pretty good whooping on them that night.

If I remember correctly Koy went on to play for the NY Giants.  The score by the way was Jasper 41-6 in spite of Jasper being an overwhelming underDog.  Trivia.  Jasper was a Cinderella team in 1959.  Lost 4 out of first five games, then won district.  I read a post a while back that Koy Sr (who I understand also played in the NFL) went into the Jasper locker room after the game and told the Jasper players something to the effect that Jasper was the toughest, hardest hitting team Bellville had played all year.  The next week Jasper lost to eventual state champion Brady in a game played in Temple.  Brady also had a superstar named Scot Appleton who also went on to play for Texas, and then the Houston Oilers.  Incredibly by sheer chance I met Scot Appleton in San Antonio years later, long after his NFL days were over.  He told me exactly the same thing, that Jasper was the hardest hitting team that they had played all year including the state championship game.

I see Jasper winning by a couple of scores. I am interested in seeing them play against an above average team though. They are a good ball club and very well coached. We shall see when tougher opponents come in the next few weeks, but I am rooting for them! Could someone tell me who Jasper and WOS will draw in the 3rd rown (being that both make it)?

51 minutes ago, Fast Turtle said:

I see Jasper winning by a couple of scores. I am interested in seeing them play against an above average team though. They are a good ball club and very well coached. We shall see when tougher opponents come in the next few weeks, but I am rooting for them! Could someone tell me who Jasper and WOS will draw in the 3rd rown (being that both make it)?

They would play each other. 

1 hour ago, j_dog said:

Another viewpoint.  Jasper's strength of schedule does appear to be weak.  But I just noticed that at least two of Jasper's "victims" are still playing football.  WOS and Lumberton.

I don't always buy into the weak schedule discussion. I think Jasper is too solid on both sides of the ball to not show up against really good teams. 

On 11/17/2018 at 0:52 AM, Bulldogs92 said:

The winner of this game gets the winner of the WOS/Sweeny game. I objectively believe that Jasper is the favorite in Region 3 to at least make the state semifinals as it's the deepest Bulldog team in a very long time. I'll start this thread by taking Jasper by 21. 

Ya

All do have a good team but any body can get beaten look at nederland they was undefeated just like y'all and out scoring there opponents and they got beat

On 11/20/2018 at 7:26 AM, Fast Turtle said:

They will be playing each other in the 3rd if they make it

On 11/20/2018 at 7:26 AM, Fast Turtle said:

Jasper played WOS, and I would consider WOS an above average team.  I think they played in the state finals the past four years.  Winning twice??  Sleep on WOS and you will be sitting at home the next week.