West Orange Stark Mustangs vs Sweeny Bulldogs

MustangNation#1

Good Post, I noticed that Sweeny has a few players who are un-disciplined especially, #9 he is one of their main players he runs at the back position and receives the long ball. WOS cannot get into a pushing, or smack talking game with this team. We need to stay focused, and conditioning will also be a factor in this game.

3 hours ago, Gasilla said:

Just a few observations coming into this game:

1. I was impressed by the speed of WOS overall and really the speed of our skill players last Thursday. It was nice to finally get a dry, turf field.

2. Speed aside, all WOS fans need to remember that Huntington was not very good and we can't put much stock into that blow out.

3. Sweeny has played a weak schedule. Only 4 teams with a winning record and 3 of those barely winning. I feel certain had WOS played the same schedule we would be 11-0 and probably leading the state defensively. You can only play the teams on your schedule, but you cannot ignore how the lack of quality teams plays into their record and stats. I think the tight game against a 6-4 LaGrange proves that fact.

4. During the season, the Bulldogs have only played 1 team with similar team speed to WOS and that was Wharton, who they lost to.

5. WOS will need to tackle, play good run defense and our Cornerbacks are going to have to start competing on these jump balls everyone we play is throwing at them. If we get a PI or two, so what... They are going to get us for a couple no matter what we do. Maybe if they know we'll compete they'll stop trying. We do that and we should be good.

Competing on jump balls!!!  well said

I'm feeling more confident. I can easily see a Jasper, WOS, Silsbee and Giddings final four for our region. If Liberty were to pull off the upset over Giddings that would be amazing. The team just needs to maintain confidence in itself. The current numbers being thrown around are deceiving so we should go in with a definite plan that we can and will win.

Remember 3 of the teams WOS lost to are now a combined 32-1 and still alive in the playoffs (Newton, Jasper and Nederland). Most will write us off having 4 losses without looking at the details when we could easily be 10-1 or 11-0 if we had played a slightly different schedule. We have the best Strength of Schedule in the region (win-loss record of opponents): WO-S 67-50, Silsbee 66-51, Bellville 63-53, Giddings 59-58, Liberty 56-62, Wharton 53-63, Sweeny 45-69, Jasper 44-74

WO-S is also 22-2 in the past 4 seasons in the playoffs. Sweeny is 4-4. Sweeny competed in Region 4 the past two seasons losing to teams we eventually beat: lost to Navarro 0-42 in 2016, we won 49-7, lost to Wimberley 17-42 in 2017, we won 30-21. They've scored more and allowed less this year but haven't played our schedule so don't let the numbers fool you. We have the playoff experience coaching-wise for sure and player-wise as well and I'd bet quite a bit that no other team this year will hold Newton to 0-7 at halftime like we did.

Gas and Goblin brings up some very good points.Been skeptical a bout Sweeny due to their schedule but gave them the benefit of the doubt until they played competitive teams.Their dominance of teams has been greatly diminished when playing better teams.The game against La Grange sealed the deal for me.Sweeny jump out for 21 points the first half scored no points the 2nd half and held on to win 21-14 against La Grange So they are not the world beaters their record indicates.

I agree about the CB play.Need to challenge these guys and just not watch them catch the ball.

I went to High School in Sweeny and this team is one of the biggest and most athletic teams they have had in a while. WOS will be their toughest opponents yet. Sweeny should have played a tougher non district schedule. The loss to wharton I think they had around 4 fumbles in a mud bowl. The Bulldogs offense is average to me but their defense is really good. Honestly speed wise I think it will be equal. And thats crazy I say that because WOS always one of the faster teams in the state any classification. I think WOS by 2 TDs but Im rooting for the dogs. But it wont be no blowout like I see on this post ppl are saying. No homer pick or being bias. 

2 hours ago, dogs_21 said:

I went to High School in Sweeny and this team is one of the biggest and most athletic teams they have had in a while. WOS will be their toughest opponents yet. Sweeny should have played a tougher non district schedule. The loss to wharton I think they had around 4 fumbles in a mud bowl. The Bulldogs offense is average to me but their defense is really good. Honestly speed wise I think it will be equal. And thats crazy I say that because WOS always one of the faster teams in the state any classification. I think WOS by 2 TDs but Im rooting for the dogs. But it wont be no blowout like I see on this post ppl are saying. No homer pick or being bias. 

Good post dogs.You will find most Mustangs fans don't chime in on those blowout predictions.We just want a win and move on. We are confident as I'm sure your fans are and that we both understand that the team that makes the least mistakes will win this game.

31 minutes ago, GUNHO said:

Good post dogs.You will find most Mustangs fans don't chime in on those blowout predictions.We just want a win and move on. We are confident as I'm sure your fans are and that we both understand that the team that makes the least mistakes will win this game.

Thanks! Yes I seen Sweeny play at least twice this season I live in Shadow Creek. I just know they are very talented. Sucky schedule but this the class they been waiting on for a while they are no slouch and very big for a 4 team. But them stangs have the Titles behind them and things like that matter in a game like this mentally. I just know it will be a lot of speed on the field both sides.  

15 hours ago, tennisbc said:

Texanlive.com is going to carry WOS again. I plan on going to the game but for those who cannot, I hope the camera is better this time.

I have watched several games on Texanlive and had no issues but that last one was per garbage.Not only was the camera guy did not know what he was doing,it was kind of blurry and the feed kept going on and off the entire second half.Hope they got it fixed.I will be going also this time.lol

I just hope that the operators at Texan Ford Stadium would stop playing the stadium music so loud. It's one thing to have the music on loudly while the teams are warming up, however, STOP playing the music when the kickoff is taking place. Very ANNOYING. We could not even hear the fight songs of teams running through their tunnels.