Nederland vs Marshall at NRG

navydawg31

Against PNG, Nederland tried to keep the game low-scoring. My guess is the idea was to keep Roschon off the field by extending long clock-eating drives. This didn't work because Nederland gave up turnovers on two key drives that prevented them from matching PNG's points and taking up clock time. Even though Nederland's strategy against PNG didn't work, this doesn't mean it was the wrong strategy. Nederland, I think, should try to keep the score low and extend drives as long as they can -- That is, do what they intended to do against PNG. If Nederland can avoid costly turnovers and keep Marshall's offense off the field, while playing the same solid defense they've been putting on the field in almost every game this season, they have a chance. 

If Marshall's district is as weak as some of us suspect, it is possible that they walk into the game against Nederland cocky and unfocused. One of the things Nederland does best is match teams for punch and aggressiveness, which could throw Marshall off. All that being said, Marshall's only losses are against two of the best pound-for-pound teams in Texas, so it isn't as if they are totally untested. 

7 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

That Nederland/Silsbee game was played on a wet and sloppy field. They turned the ball over a lot that night...  But Silsbee defense did play very well that night... Very hard game to judge.  Nederland has some kids that can go and plays disciplined defense.  The ex factor is Nederland has probably the best coaching of any team in SETX.

But Marshall is a different animal and they will probably win by double digits...

We hope we prove you wrong there tonight, and shock the state of Texas.

On my way to NRG now! Marshall looks like a very solid team and the favorite, but i know the dogs will never give up. Anything can happen in a Texas HS football. One thing i do know is we can't have all the stupid personal fouls and unsportsmanlike penalties we had last week and expect to get a W.

Mavs01 and MavGramps safe travels to yall to NRG Stadium

11 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Against PNG, Nederland tried to keep the game low-scoring. My guess is the idea was to keep Roschon off the field by extending long clock-eating drives. This didn't work because Nederland gave up turnovers on two key drives that prevented them from matching PNG's points and taking up clock time. Even though Nederland's strategy against PNG didn't work, this doesn't mean it was the wrong strategy. Nederland, I think, should try to keep the score low and extend drives as long as they can -- That is, do what they intended to do against PNG. If Nederland can avoid costly turnovers and keep Marshall's offense off the field, while playing the same solid defense they've been putting on the field in almost every game this season, they have a chance. 

If Marshall's district is as weak as some of us suspect, it is possible that they walk into the game against Nederland cocky and unfocused. One of the things Nederland does best is match teams for punch and aggressiveness, which could throw Marshall off. All that being said, Marshall's only losses are against two of the best pound-for-pound teams in Texas, so it isn't as if they are totally untested. 

Marshall district is for sure weak. Much weaker than the Ned PNG district. But I don’t think Marshall will come in cocky. Even though they have won 8 in a row, the Mavs started off he season 1-2. They have climbed back from that start to be here in the 2nd round on an 8 game winning streak. It would be a very bad look for the Marshall coaching staff to have these young men come in overconfident and unfocused.

Marshall brought in Mathis to win these exact games. If he can’t do it, they will need to find someone that can. He has the players. His team has battled early adversity getting beat by Longview and Carthage. They have stayed the course. Let’s see if this program is ready to take the next step. This is a big step for Marshall.

I know some see Marshall as the favorite, but I don’t. These 2 programs have been pretty equal the last several years. Nederland is 37-19 with 4 playoff appearances the last 5 years. Marshall is 39-19 with 5 playoff appearances the last 5 years. But only 1 time has either team made it to the 3rd round the last 5 years. That was Marshall in 2015 when they got killed by Lone Star. Nederland has the better record and home field advantage this year. 

This one has the makings to be awesome. Let’s see if Marshall is ready to Take that next step to get back to where their program has been in the past. I’ll be listening. Good luck to both teams. ETX programs have great respect for Ned, PNG, PAM, WB, and some other big schools in SETX. Go Mavs!