Nederland vs Marshall at NRG

navydawg31

33 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

I hope Mazyck is healthy for this one Ned will be ok with him and Douglas in the backfield and Fuselier coming off the bench for the running game which is what Nederland does best 

If he (Mazyck) quits all the dancing and tip toeing and hits the hole, he might have something. Plenty of times i thought he would gash us only to see him dance in the hole instead of hitting it and taking off, which I was happy for. Simmons did that pretty well against us in regard to hitting the hole with a move and taking off through it.

19 minutes ago, RoschonsBigBro said:

If he (Mazyck) quits all the dancing and tip toeing and hits the hole, he might have something. Plenty of times i thought he would gash us only to see him dance in the hole instead of hitting it and taking off, which I was happy for. Simmons did that pretty well against us in regard to hitting the hole with a move and taking off through it.

Mazyck is a finesse runner hitting the hole just isn't his style

3 hours ago, RoschonsBigBro said:

Fact of the matter is that the last 3 weeks we do not resemble at all what we did on offense early in the year. Macyzk got hurt in the Vidor game and has been 50% at best ever since. Scott getting hurt in the Crosby game for the season is HUGE. Those guys have been the majority of the offense all year. Last week, Blaysin and Macyzk played only a handful of plays and we were very fortunate to pull it out. We will have to play 10 better to pull out a win this week.

15 hours ago, RoschonsBigBro said:

Totally agree. The hole is only there for X number of seconds.

13 minutes ago, outanup said:

Yes...... although in his defense he was gimpy, he doesn’t hit the hole like Scott.... He’s more of a scat back, great receiver out of the backfield. Kid has lots of talent, would love to see him healthy this week...

Not taking a shot at the kid. He needs no defending from me. Since he was playing hurt, I understand not hitting the hole with confidence.    Still, if you live between the tackles, that hole needs to be hit. I like #7. 

28 minutes ago, badndn said:

vs 0.500 or better teams

Nederland 5-1

Marshall 4-2

Pretty even. 

Marshalls 2 losses are a little better than .500.  Longview and Carthage are both 11-0 and could end up winning 6a n 4a state titles. Since those 2 games Marshall has greatly improved defensively and found a running game offensively. 

ETSN preview 

This is the hidden content, please

1 hour ago, baddog said:

Not taking a shot at the kid. He needs no defending from me. Since he was playing hurt, I understand not hitting the hole with confidence.    Still, if you live between the tackles, that hole needs to be hit. I like #7. 

Precisely. Every rb needs to hit the hole regardless of type of back. Otherwise you allow it close and you get stuffed. That's what holes are for and why there are blocking schemes. You can be a scat back all you want but if you don't read and get to your spot, you will just end up dancing around the line of scrimmage

33 minutes ago, RoschonsBigBro said:

Precisely. Every rb needs to hit the hole regardless of type of back. Otherwise you allow it close and you get stuffed. That's what holes are for and why there are blocking schemes. You can be a scat back all you want but if you don't read and get to your spot, you will just end up dancing around the line of scrimmage

Well, I will say this. Y’all saw him at about 50% in MCM. He hurt his ankle in the first quarter of the Vidor game and hasn’t been the same since. Kade Scott and Josh Maczyk are both great backs that are totally opposite. Macyzk has great moves and is the fastest back we have. Those two are gonna be great for the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, Mav01 said:

Marshalls 2 losses are a little better than .500.  Longview and Carthage are both 11-0 and could end up winning 6a n 4a state titles. Since those 2 games Marshall has greatly improved defensively and found a running game offensively. 

ETSN preview 

Which is why I went with Marshall in my pick’ems. 

That said Nederland’s only loss came at the hands of a PNG team thats 9-1 on the field with it’s QB in the game and that one L for PNG was to a very underated Huntsville defensive power. 

I expect a good game at 4 tomorrow, but I’m pickin Marshall and will be there rooting for the Dogs.

This team is a matchup nightmare for us on paper. They have a 6 foot 4 mobile QB, a 6 foot 5 receiver and a 6 foot 2 receiver. They  also have another WR who leads the team in yards, catches and TDs and a running back with very good stats. I think this will be the best team we’ve played by far this season. We will need a HUGE team effort. Let’s go Dogs!

6 hours ago, jake94 said:

This team is a matchup nightmare for us on paper. They have a 6 foot 4 mobile QB, a 6 foot 5 receiver and a 6 foot 2 receiver. They  also have another WR who leads the team in yards, catches and TDs and a running back with very good stats. I think this will be the best team we’ve played by far this season. We will need a HUGE team effort. Let’s go Dogs!

No doubt the Marshall Basketball Coach could use all those 6 ft + guys.  Maybe he’ll be in the press box calling bad plays to get’em back.  Hey, just thinking outside the box :) 

Regardless, If Marshall comes into this game thinking its going to be easy, I feel sorry for them.  These dogs don’t come come out barking, they come out biting.  They’ll easily have the heart factor.  And if you’ve watched enough HS football, you know that sometimes, that’s enough.  This should be a really great game.  Either team wins by more than a TD, I call it a blowout.  Go Bulldogs, this Old Pirate is pulling for y’all.  

9 hours ago, jake94 said:

Sounds like a matchup nightmare for just about every team in Texas. Good luck to the Dogs, they've certainly got their hands full. 

To all the Bulldog fans I read all this talk about hurt player and such about mismatched and how on paper Marshall is the favorite, but how Marshall better not think it will be easy. I get tickled with all that talk. Trust me when I say Marshall players don’t fall into that pit. They take everyone as if they are the top team in 5A. They are always given a very good game plan and they execute it as Coach Mathis has planned it. Coach Mathis would never allow his team to take anyone lightly. You guys didn’t get to 10-1 without being a good team. Looking forward to a great game! Go Mavericks!

Here is the full Carthage vs Marshall game.

Carthage was missing their best defensive lineman, and had some other injuries on the defensive line. This was also the 3rd game of the season, and a lot of the Carthage players have switched positions. Some as a result of this game. Carthage played a 3-4 defense (which they never play) and made Marshall beat them with the run. JJ Green ran wild. One reason was that Carthage tackled terribly in this game. The other reason is JJ Green is a stud. They have 3-4 stud athletes on offense. Their defense was gashed by Carthage, but they had some good looking players. I don’t think they were ready for a disciplined offense that game. One thing if you watch the game is that JJ didn’t like getting hit. In the 2nd half Carthage turned up, and started laying wood to Green. He didn’t respond very well after that. I think that was the key to Carthage winning the game. If you get physical with Marshall they will get off their game.

Remember this was the 3rd game of the season. Marshall has rolled everybody since then. Not sure if it’s level of competition or they have improved or both. Their defensive numbers really improved in district, but ETX 5a is pretty weak.

This game is going to tell us a lot about Marshall. Nobody knows how good they are right now. I will say they have as good of skill position players as any 5a DII team in the state. Let’s see if Mathis has coached them up and improved the overall discipline of the team. If Marshall is disciplined and executes with high efficiency they could be a scary team for anybody in the playoffs.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:20 PM, indianforever said:

I don’t think Marshall’s district is anywhere near as good as ours...so who knows?

For sure it’s not. ETX 5a DII teams are historically bad right now. Marshall is one of the few blue blood teams in the division in ETX. We have JT and Lufkin in 5a D1, but other than those teams we are bad at the 5a level. Most of our 4a teams would win district almost every year. Carthage beat Marshall. Van beat Lindale (2nd place team). Carthage hammered Van 35-7. Carthage would’ve walked all over this district. I can’t say the same thing about the PNG / Nederland district. But it gives me a little pause about Nederland only beating WOS by 1 and Silsbee 21-14. I honestly think Marshall would’ve ran those teams out of the building. Bout like the PNG - Silsbee score. I think Marshall a probably about as good as PNG from looking at everything.

8 hours ago, Dawgs12345 said:

For sure it’s not. ETX 5a DII teams are historically bad right now. Marshall is one of the few blue blood teams in the division in ETX. We have JT and Lufkin in 5a D1, but other than those teams we are bad at the 5a level. Most of our 4a teams would win district almost every year. Carthage beat Marshall. Van beat Lindale (2nd place team). Carthage hammered Van 35-7. Carthage would’ve walked all over this district. I can’t say the same thing about the PNG / Nederland district. But it gives me a little pause about Nederland only beating WOS by 1 and Silsbee 21-14. I honestly think Marshall would’ve ran those teams out of the building. Bout like the PNG - Silsbee score. I think Marshall a probably about as good as PNG from looking at everything.

That Nederland/Silsbee game was played on a wet and sloppy field. They turned the ball over a lot that night...  But Silsbee defense did play very well that night... Very hard game to judge.  Nederland has some kids that can go and plays disciplined defense.  The ex factor is Nederland has probably the best coaching of any team in SETX.

But Marshall is a different animal and they will probably win by double digits...