NCAA Basketball- ‘18-‘19

PhatMack19

This year is bigger for Kellen than Kelvin.  He wants his son to be his successor when he retires (which may be sooner rather than later).  The way he’s got that program rolling, he may well get to make that decision.  Wouldn’t be a bad move either - Kellen can recruit and I’m sure he’s learned plenty from his old man. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 6:06 PM, TxHoops said:

This year is bigger for Kellen than Kelvin.  He wants his son to be his successor when he retires (which may be sooner rather than later).  The way he’s got that program rolling, he may well get to make that decision.  Wouldn’t be a bad move either - Kellen can recruit and I’m sure he’s learned plenty from his old man. 

That is the plan at UH.  We want Coach Sampson to stay as long as he would like.  He has rebuilt our program from the ground up.  He has run a clean program.  No issues with recruiting, kids on the team, staff, grades, or cell phones (the show cause issue that forced his ouster at Indiana).  He re-established recruiting links in the Houston area, over in North Carolina where he has strong ties, and on the national AAU circuit.  We are getting better recruits thanks to Coach Sampson.  He has told the administration (i.e., Dr. Renu Khator and Tilman Fertitta) that he would like for UH to be his last college stop.  If the NBA comes calling, he will consider it.  If the NBA knocks on your door, you answer it.  If that happens, Little Sampson (Kellen) will be the successor at UH.  Nightmare scenario for UH would be Coach Sampson leading the Cougars, Kellen gets an opportunity elsewhere while his father is coaching at UH, and then, after Kellen leaves UH, the NBA comes calling for Coach Sampson.  For now, we will enjoy the ride.  You can't worry about the things that you can't control.  If the NBA stays away and we can keep Coach Sampson for a couple of more years, I'll be happy.  He's due for raise and he will get one.  Khator and Fertitta have a good relationship with Coach Sampson.  Running joke among UH fans is that Fertitta will move Coach Sampson up the chain and over to the Rockets bench and then he will promote Little Sampson at UH.  Who knows what will happen.  Enjoying 2018-2019 for now.

Go Indians...Go Coogs.  Peace.

8 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Been calling it for about a year. For whatever reason, it's not working.

Bingo.   Shaka is a great guy and a good coach.   But sometimes it’s not a fit.  I think jumping up a level in recruit access has been a problem for him.  He’s had trouble getting 4 and 5 star players who fit his system.  Wish him well at his next stop.  

We hired Rice's center from a few years back recently. He played under Mike Rhoades, who is a Shaka disciple. He swears they both suck as coaches. Seems like he may be on to something... Havoc might work at a mid major, like a gimmick, but not in the tougher leagues. There's just too much competition.