Baytown Lee 62 Vidor 61/FINAL

WOSgrad

All i know about vidor football is that they are tough, scrappy kids. Might not have the most talent or run the best offense, but they are definitely near the top of setx year in year out at playing tough hard nose ball. I would gladly take a few of the vidor rbs and defensive front 7 guys of the past fews year at png if i had the power to do so. Would take so much pressure off the O. If matthews does anything he makes tough resilient kids who can throw a punch and take one. Whether he is a good coach or not is up to the vidor faithful and those that sign his checks

Been deleted once so I will try to stay calm. Bottom line those men do more in a season then most of you guys will do in a lifetime. You have a problem with Jeff then quit hiding behind past pirate, or past pirate 88, or realville and go talk to him, bet you don’t have the guts to.

29 minutes ago, RoschonsBigBro said:

All i know about vidor football is that they are tough, scrappy kids. Might not have the most talent or run the best offense, but they are definitely near the top of setx year in year out at playing tough hard nose ball. I would gladly take a few of the vidor rbs and defensive front 7 guys of the past fews year at png if i had the power to do so. Would take so much pressure off the O. If matthews does anything he makes tough resilient kids who can throw a punch and take one. Whether he is a good coach or not is up to the vidor faithful and those that sign his checks

Near the top year in and year out? Since when? Maybe a year or two here and there.....

7 hours ago, tupac7 said:

Been deleted once so I will try to stay calm. Bottom line those men do more in a season then most of you guys will do in a lifetime. You have a problem with Jeff then quit hiding behind past pirate, or past pirate 88, or realville and go talk to him, bet you don’t have the guts to.

Just a little criticism got you this fired up? No one is calling for a coaching change. I know the time and sacrifice that no only Matthews but all the other coaches have put in. Matthews has done a greatly job of turning that program around and has the kids buying in. By far he has done more great things that a lot people will ever know. I want to see the best for the kids on and off the field. You don’t think a passing game would compliment that run game? At the end of the day this is nothing more than a discussion.  

7 hours ago, RoschonsBigBro said:

Regardless if they win or lose, they always play tough hard nose ball.  Always have tough strong rbs no matter the year. Thats all i meant

OOL, but I like it.  So many times on any Forum, someone takes a sentence or half a sentence to skew what you’re saying.  Sometimes by accident, as someone reads it to fast & doesn't grasp the meaning.  Other times.........  This is not directed at Bulldogpower, but all of us.  Heck, I know I’ve probably done it.  But it does get frustrating.  Anyway, I got your meaning, and thank you for the post.  Those kids in Vidor have put it all on the line this year.  And, imo, they deserve all the praise they get for their efforts.  Certainly anyone looking just at their record, has no idea how good they are.

13 hours ago, tupac7 said:

Dear Mama, 

Why dont you just send them threatening messages per usual ? Someone cant take critism .

13 hours ago, tupac7 said:

Hey Tupay, Jeff is aware of the criticism. He’s a big boy , he can take it unlike you. I think you may need to go to decaf. Constructive criticism is what makes teams, businesses and individuals better. Get over it SNOWFLAKE. 

Missed the game, but read all the posts in this thread.  (Thanks Boneyard for your coverage!)   A couple of posts referenced injuries and how at this time of year all teams have them.  Agreed, all teams have them, but how  injury affects a team is primarily determined by that teams depth, and to an extent, what position(s) are affected.   When you have enough depth, you can plug another player in and although he may not be as good as the sidelined starter, (or he'd likely be starting), there is not a drastic drop off in production.   On the other hand, when you have to bring players up from the JV, including quarterback, just to have players familiar with the positions you are asking them to  play, you may have a depth problem.   Not to mention how many are walking wounded and those already going both ways.  Don't take this as an excuse by any means,  it's just what has happened  this year injury wise to a Pirate team that didn't have a lot of numbers to begin with.   

22 hours ago, Tim Riggins said:

Missed the game, but read all the posts in this thread.  (Thanks Boneyard for your coverage!)   A couple of posts referenced injuries and how at this time of year all teams have them.  Agreed, all teams have them, but how  injury affects a team is primarily determined by that teams depth, and to an extent, what position(s) are affected.   When you have enough depth, you can plug another player in and although he may not be as good as the sidelined starter, (or he'd likely be starting), there is not a drastic drop off in production.   On the other hand, when you have to bring players up from the JV, including quarterback, just to have players familiar with the positions you are asking them to  play, you may have a depth problem.   Not to mention how many are walking wounded and those already going both ways.  Don't take this as an excuse by any means,  it's just what has happened  this year injury wise to a Pirate team that didn't have a lot of numbers to begin with.   

I agree with everything you said. Depth is a major issue in Vidor.

But the real question, is why is depth such a problem?

What are the participation numbers like in Vidor?

I know participation in football is down everywhere, but why is Vidor hit so hard?

Jeff has had a lot of success in Vidor, but is his style of play (mainly offense) causing the numbers to be low?

Is his style of coaching causing the numbers to be low?

Just curious and definitely not throwing stones at Vidor or Coach.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:59 PM, OneChance said:

I’m mostly an observer on the football forum, but if I remember correctly, didn’t Vidor youth football or middle school recently have a defense that nobody could score against? Whatever happened to that group of kids?

Next season and the year after should be two of our better groups in my opinion. If he can keep them together, quite a few have already fell by the wayside.

4 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

I agree with everything you said. Depth is a major issue in Vidor.

But the real question, is why is depth such a problem?

What are the participation numbers like in Vidor?

I know participation in football is down everywhere, but why is Vidor hit so hard?

Jeff has had a lot of success in Vidor, but is his style of play (mainly offense) causing the numbers to be low?

Is his style of coaching causing the numbers to be low?

Just curious and definitely not throwing stones at Vidor or Coach.

Coach doesn’t mess around, his offseason workout program is very difficult. He demands a lot out of the boys and expects you to be in attendance every time. He had a lot of boys quit this year at all grade levels before the pads were even put on. Some were very good athletes, he doesn’t care though. Next man up mentality, that’s why I like him. Well that and the whole shorts when it’s 30 degrees outside thing.

37 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Coach doesn’t mess around, his offseason workout program is very difficult. He demands a lot out of the boys and expects you to be in attendance every time. He had a lot of boys quit this year at all grade levels before the pads were even put on. Some were very good athletes, he doesn’t care though. Next man up mentality, that’s why I like him. Well that and the whole shorts when it’s 30 degrees outside thing.

The guy must have legs of steel, or self-heating shorts.  One or the other :)

10 hours ago, Mytwocents3788 said:

No they wouldn’t. Do you disagree???

I agree with you. I was trying to make a point that Matthews gets the very best and most out of what he has talent wise. Vidor can't compare records with PNG and Nederland because they have a different talent pool to work with over there

8 hours ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

I agree with you. I was trying to make a point that Matthews gets the very best and most out of what he has talent wise. Vidor can't compare records with PNG and Nederland because they have a different talent pool to work with over there

Ned and Png are not superior to Vidor talent wise other that the occasional PA move in. They are superior in coaching however . 

15 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

As with all leaders, the things that make you good are also your biggest pitfall.

You can't run kids off, numbers are a big thing in schools the size of Vidor, especially when you are competing against the PNG and Nederlands of the world.

You can't run your best athletes off and be competitive either.

I know that no coach will be beholden to a kid, but there is a fine line and a balance between being a hard

a _ _ or a dumb a _ _ or simply being a jack a _ _.